GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Lingering Odor after using 0 VOC Paint

user-1136138 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I live in Zone 4C near Seattle.

I painted a bedroom with Benjamin Moore Natura 0 VOC Paint about 35 days ago. I painted two coats of a green color waiting the required time between coats. It was the first time I had used this paint. My wife and I didn’t like the color so two days later I repainted it white, again waiting the required time between coats.

When applying the green, I was getting a vinyl / latex type smell that I figured was normal and would disappear once dry. Since the initial application, I have used other colors in two other rooms and haven’t gotten this same smell during application or after cured.

Well, ~35 days later the room that was originally green still has a very noticeable odor like vinyl / latex.

How do I solve this problem?

Options that I’m considering but I’m open to other solutions:

(I just learned of the AFM line of products from this website)

1) Apply Two Coat AFM Hard Seal, product literature indicates two coats should solve the smell

2) Apply AFM Paint (not sure this will completely seal the odor)

3) Worst Case (really don’t want to go here) re-drywall the room

My painter said he can seal it in with oil-base Kilz Primer but I would also like to avoid that option if at all possible.

Your advice appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. wjrobinson | | #1

First Option- Contact Benjamin Moore
    Second- choose your best guess cover paint and try your luck again, and you know the third already, demo and start over.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |