GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How can I get high SHGC low E glazing in windows or doors? Cardinal won’t provide their 180 glass in southern California.

Lisa_Tom | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Anyone know a glazing referral here or window manufacturer or vendor with hopefully a fiberglass line who can get and install this glazing in southern California?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Lisa,
    You might want to contact one of the two window manufacturers in Winnipeg:

Accurate Dorwin
    1535 Seel Ave.
    Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 1C6
    Canada
    888-982-4640

Duxton Windows
    10 Higgins Street
    Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 0A1
    Canada
    204-339-6456

2. Lisa_Tom | | #2

Thanks for the tip. I called Accurate and after a few minutes of conversation they said that they happen to use PPG glass. I had heard from window vendors here that this glass company has factories in the US. I googled on them and found out there was a Milgard branch in California using their glass. Called the Milgard plant and they make a product called Sungate 500 which is low E, high SHGC. Called back the Milgard sales office and made enough ruckus about this that they agreed they would make an exception (first time in this region) and let me get this glass in the windows I'm ordering. Milgard said this was the first time that they really understood about passive solar and its potential for use in this part of the country (even after Obama said otherwise). What a breakthrough! Yeah !!!!!

3. MICHAEL CHANDLER | | #3

We have ordered and installed Windsor Clad casements with Cardinal 180 glass for Southern glazing and 366 glass for other orientations in the same house. They also make a fiberglass unit and I assume that they could provide the same glass options there.

4. Lizzieplants | | #4

We have Intus windows on order for our new home. They are high quality European vinyl windows and are very cost effective. You will find some reference to them on this site.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |