GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I have few questions I need answered that deal with rigid foam

9woodworks9 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

1. I thought Green Building Advisor had more information about fasteners for rigid foam? I’ve done a search and all I’ve come up with is one product is there a link that I’m missing?

2. I’m going to put foil on the outside of my foam for a radiant heat barrier but I would like to know it there’s a spray adhesive I can put on the foam then stick the foil to? I’m putting a stone exterior over the foam and I need the foil fixed to mark out lines for my studs? The foam I’m using is Foamular 250.

3. I’ve read somewhere I can use Grace Vycor Plus on rigid foam when sealing foam panels around corners? Plus I’m wanting to know will it fall down as the years pass?

4. I’m using 3M 8087 tape on my seams heard this was the best product true ?

Replies

1. 9woodworks9 | | #1

I can not understand your answer? The foil was purchased separately and want to glue it to my rigid foam.

2. wjrobinson | | #2

Already foil faced foam is is taped at seams. Your chosen foam is not, at least not by me. I think you should obtain a complete plan for your project. Martin may help.

I build homes. I do not glue foil to foam. Good luck.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Michael,
    Your question about fasteners wasn't very specific, but I'm guessing (based on your other questions) that you are probably attaching rigid foam to the exterior side of a wood-framed wall. Is that right? If so, you want to attach the foam with cap nails or long screws and plastic buttons. For more information on fastening foam, and links to suppliers of long screws and plastic buttons, see How to Install Rigid Foam Sheathing.

2. It's relatively easy to buy foil-faced polyisocyanurate or foil-faced EPS, so it doesn't make any sense to try to glue aluminum foil on top of rigid foam. If you want foil-faced foam, that's what you should buy.

3. The value of radiant barriers is often exaggerated. For more information on radiant barriers, see Radiant Barriers: A Solution in Search of a Problem.

3. If you are using Foamular 250, you should use the tape recommended by the foam manufacturer. For Foamular 250, Owens Corning recommends the use of JointSealR tape.

4. See answer to Question #3.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |