Insulation material to attach to garage ceiling

Our 20 year old Ecco house has been compromised (by a previous owner) due to a garage having been dug out underneath. .we are therefore looking for a very thin but Ecco effective insulation material to attach to the ceiling. there is no room to create a false ceiling to contain any such insulation.

Asked by Linda Wright
Posted Sep 25, 2012 2:01 PM ET

1.

Linda,
What is an "Ecco house"?

Posted Sep 25, 2012 2:41 PM ET

2.

Conventional build but with thicker walls and extra insulation, air source heat exchanger, pv and hot water solar, tripal glazing. Sorry I have no technical knowledge at all but want to do the right thing to keep the integrity of the build and ensure the rooms above the garage are as warm as the rest of the house.

any advice would be welcome. Thanks. Linda

Answered by Linda Wright
Posted Sep 26, 2012 10:34 AM ET

3.

Linda,
Unless you want to experiment with Vacuum Insulation Panels (VIPs), a very expensive technology that has been problematic in the field, you are limited to ordinary insulation materials.

The best-performing insulation materials are polyisocyanurate (a type of rigid foam) and closed-cell spray polyurethane foam. Either type of insulation has an R-value of about R-6.5 per inch.

Posted Sep 26, 2012 10:49 AM ET

Log Wall Spray Foam Insulation - Closed or Open Cell?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Dave Beller | Aug 30, 16

While I love radiators, I hate using fossil fuels

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Susan Hanway | Aug 28, 16

How should I address the lack of plywood boxes for my double stud wall rough openings?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Adam Peterson | Aug 12, 16

Mitsubishi minisplits — horizontally ducted

In Mechanicals | Asked by Ismail Mohammed | May 21, 16

Options to make space for exterior insulation

In Green building techniques | Asked by Brad White | Aug 26, 16