Can I get healthy air quality using ICF forms?

I am new to building and live in SD. I want a home with good healthy indoor air quality as I have sensitivity issues. Spray foam is out. I am thinking of using ICF forms for the basement and 1st floor in a ranch style home. Cover the walls with sheet rock and insulate the attic with cellulose. Using a HRV system does anyone know if there would be any off gassing problems with the ICF?

Also, I read something about embodied energy and ICF forms. Can you explain this to me.

Thank you,

Asked by Kami Kline
Posted Nov 23, 2012 8:08 PM ET
Edited Nov 23, 2012 8:26 PM ET

1.

Kami,
ICF forms are made of expanded polystyrene, a type of rigid foam insulation. Although I have never heard of anyone who lived in an ICF home complaining of an indoor air quality problem attributable to the ICFs, it's extremely difficult for anyone to predict the reactions of someone with (as you put it) "sensitivity issues." I suppose you could get an ICF and live with it for a few days. Put the ICF on your dining room table or your dresser in your bedroom, and monitor your reactions.

Remember, though -- the ICF will be behind a layer of drywall. You won't be in contact with the ICF once the house is built.

The term "embodied energy" refers to the amount of energy required to manufacture a building material or a manufactured object. For more information on the embodied energy of materials, see:

An article from Environmental Building News: Embodied Energy -- Just What Is It and Why Do We Care?

A table: Embodied Energy of Selected Building Materials

An article from Wikipedia: Embodied energy

Posted Nov 24, 2012 6:39 AM ET

2.

Thank you Martin.

Answered by Kami Kline
Posted Nov 24, 2012 10:32 AM ET

Vented dryer depressurization and it's effects on radon levels?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Calum Wilde | Jul 24, 17

How best to handle wet garage wall ?

In General questions | Asked by W. Timothy Ward | Jul 23, 17

Vapor drive and porcelain tile exterior walls

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Edward Mallett | Jul 24, 17

Cellulose or BIBS fiberglass in 16" Ceiling Cavity ?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Michael Tuso | Jul 24, 17

Cheapest way to build net zero house?

In Green building techniques | Asked by user-6877304 | Jun 28, 17