Q&A: A Forum for Green Building Experts and Beginners

Q & A Instructions

[Click map to enlarge]

The GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com web site has a wealth of articles on a wide variety of construction topics. Before posting your question, you may want to check out the articles on this page: How To Do Everything. You just might discover an article there that provides the information you seek.

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

If you want to post a question, the usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled “More explanation,” look for the words “File attachments.” Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

0 Answers

How to keep house framing relatively simple, inexpensive and better than code?

I have a house design that I hope to build that is approximately 900 square feet, consisting of a story and a half. Second story has short knee walls and a ceiling that follows the roof line until 8' at which point it will be flat. The south side of the house has a shed dormer to gain headroom and windows.

Asked By Curt Lyons | Feb 27 17
0 Answers

Full Basement w/ Rubble Foundation Wall - New interior load bearing wall with new footer

I am currently doing a full gut and renovation on a ~1900 structural masonry (3 wythes) brick sitting on a rubble foundation. All joists are currently pocket into brick: 1st floor sits on rubble, second and 3rd floors are fire-cut and pocketed into the brick. There is a full basement about 89" joist to ground with a 1" concrete floor sitting on clay. The house is in Pittsburgh. I will be pouring a new 4" slab, putting 4" gravel layer, and internal drainage. The slab top surface will rest about 5 feet below grade.

Asked By sam onuska | Feb 27 17
2 Answers

Rigid Foam

I'm need to insulate my second floor cathedral garage ceiling and live in upstate NY. It has 2x10 joists and I want to get the most bang for my buck. I've looked at closed cell spray foam and its just not in the budget. So my plan is to use 1 inch rigid foam with a 1 inch gap to create my baffles, then use Roxul R30 that should fill the 9.25 cavity perfect to give me a estimated R rating of about 35 and then cover it with OSB. My question is do I need a vapor barrier in between the studs and the interior OSB?

Asked By Steven Miller | Feb 25 17
0 Answers

Knee Wall Access Doors

I've been searching online unsuccessfully for how to build an airtight and insulated access door for a knee wall between a conditioned room and unconditioned side attics for a cape cod style home. Do a search for this and you'll likely find a ton pictures on how to seal and insulate a pull down or horizontal door. I'm dealing with vertical access doors for a knee wall. I've contemplated constructing something from plywood with rigid foam insulation behind it, but that doesn't really take care of the air sealing problem.

Asked By Jeff Towson | Feb 27 17
6 Answers

How to insulate a shipping container home?

I would like to understand how to best insulate a shipping container home. i am thinking of building on a pier system.

Specifically I am wondering about the double sided foil such as Radiant guard that comes in both permeable and vapor barrier. Which do I put on the inside and which goes on the outside. I live in the Seattle area Marine Zone 4-5.

Asked By SirKoda | Feb 24 17
6 Answers

Hydronic Heating System Hydraulic Buffer Tank vs Hydraulic Seperator

This question might be more appropriate in a plumbing forum but I have had such great and thoughtful responses in the GBA forums I look to here first. This is also a hydronic heating mainstream topic which should be appropriate for GBA.

Asked By Roger Smith | Feb 26 17
4 Answers

Load Specs- understanding manufacturer's fastener spec

Hello again GBAer's

I'm having trouble interpreting a load spec for a Simpson fastener (SDWS221000DB). Looking at a table that addresses my specific application (furring strip on 6" of exterior board foam insulation, 16" studs), the heading of the table reads:

"Maximum Allowable Cladding Weight to be Supported (psf)"

This seems fairly clear, except doesn't 'psf' refer to a _pressure_? But this wouldn't make much sense.

Asked By Gerald Pehl | Feb 26 17
2 Answers

Insulation for finishing my basement

Hello all,

Asked By abtesnow | Feb 27 17
11 Answers

Follow up question re: basement subfloor (climate zone 7a)

A couple of weeks ago I asked a variety of questions pertaining to my livable space basement retrofit for a 1974 home in climate zone 7a. Recap: there is no exterior foundation or under slab insulation, etc. No water penetration issues into the interior but part of the basement has shown recurring efflorescence and some spalling in a few places.

Asked By user-6759891 | Feb 24 17
4 Answers

How to get notifications from comments

Hello GBA.

I'm getting notifications of comments to questions that I ask, but I'd also like to get notifications when from _other_ threads, especially threads that I comment on.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Asked By Gerald Pehl | Feb 19 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!