Super insulating and soundproofing

I'm curious as to whether anyone has integrated soundproofing techniques into superinsulated walls. As mentioned in other posts, I'm considering adding thickness to my existing walls in the form of rigid foam, without removing current drywall. I hear foam is not the best for sound, although at least the 3/4" airspace and second layer of drywall will help. I'm curious if anyone else has explored trying to get the best of both worlds, R-value and sound reduction, while keeping thickness to a minimum.

Asked By Ryan Griffin | Nov 22 14

uysidd xinhwf jrvsdb dzhpqs

If afterlife, I want to be a poet. When a pulse is home something emotional nourishment into a time -dependent expression has become a matter of . For example paste noodles , although not very rare eating , and I do not have some feelings.

Asked By mvagqmtpw mvagqmtpw | Nov 22 14

Rigid Polyiso in side attics?

As a spray foam alternative, I'm considering using continuous rigid foam along the 32ft long x 7ft slope in my side attic and just spray foaming in the lower joist bays and places where taping is difficult. The attics are about as simple as can be with no dormers or other obstructions. I will need 8" of polyiso to meet my disired R-value (R-48), while keeping the 2x4 rafter bays wide open for ventilation. There are also HVAC ducts and plumbing in the attic, which is why I'd like to convert it conditioned space.

Asked By Ryan Griffin | Nov 22 14

ICF & Windows Areas WITHOUT Wood Bucks

I observed an ICF build that did NOT use wood window bucks for the window areas. They used some temporary wood shoring but once the shoring was removed the window area was all raw concrete and ICF/EPS foam. The windows will be installed directly into the concrete using concrete screws and window brackets. The windows will be installed halfway in the window area or otherwise known as an "innie" window.

Asked By Peter L | Nov 22 14

Does radiant heat recycle water

With regular radiant heating systems that use warm/hot water to run through tubes in the floor to heat the home, what happens to this water - does it get recycled through the system, heated up again, or does it go down a drain?

Asked By Celina Jones | Nov 22 14

Detail for stone veneer

I am looking for a wall framing detail that includes a stone veneer face over 1" ridged insulation. It seems to me that after a rain screen detail over the rigid, the next surface would be OSB or plywood that metal lath would be adhered for applying the stone veneer? So the assembly would be 2x6 stud wall, OSB, WRB, 1" ridged insulation, rain screen (lath, Coravent, etc), 1/2" plywood, metal lath, stone veneer.

Asked By Robert Holland | Nov 16 14

Insulating an uninsulated Cape-style home (cathedral/knee)

Hi all, new member here; new homeowner too.

Asked By Nathan Schulte | Nov 20 14

Has anyone found a window that meets passive house standards and also carries an ASTM impact rating for the 110 mph zone?

So far the only thing I find that's close is from Dynamic.

Asked By Carole Hunter | Nov 20 14

Polyiso on interior

Martin/Dana

Living in the Bellingham area north of Seattle it can get cold. The house was heated by propane, it was a cost that was hard to get hold of especially with some of the design of the house. (high ceiling)

I set out to improve the insulation of the home taking bits and pieces off the internet as to the techniques available these days.

I am a bit "OCD" now that the living room is for the most part done "I have some hidden inward worries". I wonder if I am trapping moisture inside my walls having used the foilfaced polyiso just behind the sheetrock.

Asked By William Lucrisia | Nov 21 14

Plumbing vents exiting ridge cap

Can't seem to find anything in the code, easily missed though. I have a customer who wants a metal roof installed however they have had bad experiences with pipe flashings through the roof and don't like the look of them. While I don't care for the pipe boots, (for metal roofing), appearance they seem to work well.

Anyway, to the question... Is there anything code or common sense wise that says vents couldn't go through the ridge cap? I know it wouldn't look as good but, would limit water flowing over them.

Asked By RMills Miller | Nov 21 14