Tremco ExoAir Trio substitute

Is there a less expensive but just as effective way to insulate, air and water seal window installations? I like the Tremco product but cannot justify paying >$300 per roll on my larger windows applications. Does low expanding foam sealant in a can work just as well? Thanks.

Asked by Matthew Michaud
Posted Jan 7, 2013 8:35 PM ET

I don't have any direct experience using ExoAir Trio, but I imagine that you will be interested in the following blog post that addresses your question: A Trio of Window Air Sealing Details.

Posted Jan 8, 2013 5:55 AM ET

Are you looking for a weather resistant seal? Or just an airseal? Flanged or unflanged windows?

Instead of a trio, you might consider a tandem . . .

Install an oversize closed cell foam backer rod---then reinforce with can foam. The expanding foam locks the backer rod into place, helps seal any imperfections in your application, and provides additional insulation. An alternative is to use a permanently flexible sealant over the backer rod. Here is a good source for bulk backer rod:

Alternately, you can install the can foam first, then tape the interior. This is the method shown by Jesse Thompson, in the latest Fine Homebuilding mag. See energysmartdetails on p. 88 of the January 2013 issue. His editorial also addresses your question on expanding foam performance.

Answered by Daniel Ernst
Posted Jan 8, 2013 9:46 AM ET

I may need to tear out some insulation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Geoffrey Cook | Nov 30, 15

Humidity control other than plug in De/humidifier

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Terry Sharpe | Nov 27, 15

Previous code for unvented cathederal ceiling insulation

In Building Code Questions | Asked by Steve Gabrielidi | Nov 25, 15

Adding foam board to ceiling rafters?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Donald Mendell | Nov 29, 15

Visual dictionary for building terms/glossary?

In General questions | Asked by andrew c | Nov 29, 15