GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Tremco ExoAir Trio substitute

Myrtleboone | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Is there a less expensive but just as effective way to insulate, air and water seal window installations? I like the Tremco product but cannot justify paying >$300 per roll on my larger windows applications. Does low expanding foam sealant in a can work just as well? Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Matthew,
    I don't have any direct experience using ExoAir Trio, but I imagine that you will be interested in the following blog post that addresses your question: A Trio of Window Air Sealing Details.

2. Kopper37 | | #2

Are you looking for a weather resistant seal? Or just an airseal? Flanged or unflanged windows?

Instead of a trio, you might consider a tandem . . .

Install an oversize closed cell foam backer rod---then reinforce with can foam. The expanding foam locks the backer rod into place, helps seal any imperfections in your application, and provides additional insulation. An alternative is to use a permanently flexible sealant over the backer rod. Here is a good source for bulk backer rod:

http://www.demandproducts.com/eifs-items/item.php?l2=3,44,49&sku=GROUPSR

Alternately, you can install the can foam first, then tape the interior. This is the method shown by Jesse Thompson, in the latest Fine Homebuilding mag. See energysmartdetails on p. 88 of the January 2013 issue. His editorial also addresses your question on expanding foam performance.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |