Tremco ExoAir Trio substitute

Is there a less expensive but just as effective way to insulate, air and water seal window installations? I like the Tremco product but cannot justify paying >$300 per roll on my larger windows applications. Does low expanding foam sealant in a can work just as well? Thanks.

Asked by Matthew Michaud

1.

Matthew,
I don't have any direct experience using ExoAir Trio, but I imagine that you will be interested in the following blog post that addresses your question: A Trio of Window Air Sealing Details.

2.

Are you looking for a weather resistant seal? Or just an airseal? Flanged or unflanged windows?

Instead of a trio, you might consider a tandem . . .

Install an oversize closed cell foam backer rod---then reinforce with can foam. The expanding foam locks the backer rod into place, helps seal any imperfections in your application, and provides additional insulation. An alternative is to use a permanently flexible sealant over the backer rod. Here is a good source for bulk backer rod:

http://www.demandproducts.com/eifs-items/item.php?l2=3,44,49&sku=GROUPSR

Alternately, you can install the can foam first, then tape the interior. This is the method shown by Jesse Thompson, in the latest Fine Homebuilding mag. See energysmartdetails on p. 88 of the January 2013 issue. His editorial also addresses your question on expanding foam performance.

Answered by Daniel Ernst

Help with basement design

In Green building techniques | Asked by leonid grossman | Sep 21, 14

How do I fix the high air exchange in my straw-bale home?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Eddy Wilbers | Sep 19, 14

The differences between mass and insulation

In Green products and materials | Asked by Nathaniel G | Sep 15, 14

Fresh air intake filters

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Venkat Y | Sep 20, 14

Sealing gap between garage floor & drywall?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Robert Hallenbeck | Sep 20, 14