Tremco ExoAir Trio substitute

Is there a less expensive but just as effective way to insulate, air and water seal window installations? I like the Tremco product but cannot justify paying >$300 per roll on my larger windows applications. Does low expanding foam sealant in a can work just as well? Thanks.

Asked by Matthew Michaud

1.

Matthew,
I don't have any direct experience using ExoAir Trio, but I imagine that you will be interested in the following blog post that addresses your question: A Trio of Window Air Sealing Details.

2.

Are you looking for a weather resistant seal? Or just an airseal? Flanged or unflanged windows?

Instead of a trio, you might consider a tandem . . .

Install an oversize closed cell foam backer rod---then reinforce with can foam. The expanding foam locks the backer rod into place, helps seal any imperfections in your application, and provides additional insulation. An alternative is to use a permanently flexible sealant over the backer rod. Here is a good source for bulk backer rod:

http://www.demandproducts.com/eifs-items/item.php?l2=3,44,49&sku=GROUPSR

Alternately, you can install the can foam first, then tape the interior. This is the method shown by Jesse Thompson, in the latest Fine Homebuilding mag. See energysmartdetails on p. 88 of the January 2013 issue. His editorial also addresses your question on expanding foam performance.

Answered by Daniel Ernst

How do you insulate cob or earth bag walls in the Northeast?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Aaron B | Sep 27, 14

Grid-tied without independence … what’s the point?

In General questions | Asked by flitch plate | Sep 29, 14

Windows for my Pretty Good House

In Green products and materials | Asked by Matt Mesa | Sep 29, 14

Please tell me why I have to put so much insulation / outsulation at the roof/celing?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by leo kloop | Sep 30, 14

Is continuous polyiso over plywood and concrete wall OK?

In Plans Review | Asked by Jamie Malcolm-Brown | Sep 30, 14