Tremco ExoAir Trio substitute

Is there a less expensive but just as effective way to insulate, air and water seal window installations? I like the Tremco product but cannot justify paying >$300 per roll on my larger windows applications. Does low expanding foam sealant in a can work just as well? Thanks.

Asked by Matthew Michaud
Posted Jan 7, 2013 9:35 PM ET

1.

Matthew,
I don't have any direct experience using ExoAir Trio, but I imagine that you will be interested in the following blog post that addresses your question: A Trio of Window Air Sealing Details.

Posted Jan 8, 2013 6:55 AM ET

2.

Are you looking for a weather resistant seal? Or just an airseal? Flanged or unflanged windows?

Instead of a trio, you might consider a tandem . . .

Install an oversize closed cell foam backer rod---then reinforce with can foam. The expanding foam locks the backer rod into place, helps seal any imperfections in your application, and provides additional insulation. An alternative is to use a permanently flexible sealant over the backer rod. Here is a good source for bulk backer rod:

http://www.demandproducts.com/eifs-items/item.php?l2=3,44,49&sku=GROUPSR

Alternately, you can install the can foam first, then tape the interior. This is the method shown by Jesse Thompson, in the latest Fine Homebuilding mag. See energysmartdetails on p. 88 of the January 2013 issue. His editorial also addresses your question on expanding foam performance.

Answered by Daniel Ernst
Posted Jan 8, 2013 10:46 AM ET

Unvented slanted roof with radiant cooling and NO polyurethane in 4C

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Jan Verschuren | Mar 11, 15

Exterior foil-faced polyiso question

In Green building techniques | Asked by Randy Mason | Mar 16, 15

Should I air seal and insulate above the ceiling of my attached garage?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Nathaniel G | Mar 30, 15

New home buyer — metal roof in Maine with no sheathing

In General questions | Asked by dimitrios maniatakos | Mar 28, 15

2 questions: Rigid foam in attic space

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jeremy M | Mar 30, 15