Helpful? 0

Tremco ExoAir Trio substitute

Is there a less expensive but just as effective way to insulate, air and water seal window installations? I like the Tremco product but cannot justify paying >$300 per roll on my larger windows applications. Does low expanding foam sealant in a can work just as well? Thanks.

Asked by Matthew Michaud
Posted Mon, 01/07/2013 - 21:35

Tags:

2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Matthew,
I don't have any direct experience using ExoAir Trio, but I imagine that you will be interested in the following blog post that addresses your question: A Trio of Window Air Sealing Details.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Tue, 01/08/2013 - 06:55

Helpful? 0

Are you looking for a weather resistant seal? Or just an airseal? Flanged or unflanged windows?

Instead of a trio, you might consider a tandem . . .

Install an oversize closed cell foam backer rod---then reinforce with can foam. The expanding foam locks the backer rod into place, helps seal any imperfections in your application, and provides additional insulation. An alternative is to use a permanently flexible sealant over the backer rod. Here is a good source for bulk backer rod:

http://www.demandproducts.com/eifs-items/item.php?l2=3,44,49&sku=GROUPSR

Alternately, you can install the can foam first, then tape the interior. This is the method shown by Jesse Thompson, in the latest Fine Homebuilding mag. See energysmartdetails on p. 88 of the January 2013 issue. His editorial also addresses your question on expanding foam performance.

Answered by Daniel Ernst
Posted Tue, 01/08/2013 - 10:46

Other Questions in Green products and materials

Add R-14 Roxul between the garage attic and the house?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Mike Lucas | Oct 23, 14

Sealing meeting point of brick wall and asphalt driveway

In General questions | Asked by Jon Haque | Oct 22, 14

Using foam sheeting & faced fiberglass batts

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Mark Woyak | Oct 23, 14

Good idea to insulate old house with cellulose?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Alan B | Oct 23, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!