Ventilating

I own a 1100 square foot vintage condo that desperately needs ventilation but has no duct work no HVAC no dehumidifier, the space gets stuffy and hot, very uncomfortable in the summer and in the winter with everything closed, condensation develops on the windows.

Would appreciate any advice with what the best way to ventilate the space is without breaking the bank: an air handler? The Broan ventilators?

Asked By Vishy S | Dec 21 14

Modern (hydronic) heating and what all should start to know as of 2014

I stumbled upon this site to do with researching an update to a (hydronic) heating system I installed two decades ago.

So much has changed mainly the best change is the access we all have now to information.

This is the best read I have had off the internet to do with modern current (hydronic) heating.

Dana, besides your wealth of help here, this pictorial is great for the visual types like me.

http://www.duluthenergydesign.com/Content/Documents/GeneralInfo/Presenta...

Asked By aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Dec 4 14

Mechanical room size

I'm looking at designs for slab on grade, 3 BR, 2 Bath houses under 1500 sq feet (heat provided by heat pump/baseboard heaters). Can anyone share their experience with how large the mechanical room should be? Hot Water Tank, solar power inverter, HRV, Networking/cabling, Power Panel, main water cutoff are what I see as the main components. Is there anything else that should be planned for? I don't have the option of moving these items out to the garage (eastern Canada), and many house plans I've looked at assume there is a basement or just have small areas carved out for H/W or HRV.

Asked By Corey B | Dec 20 14

Solar thermal systems for heating water

Jin this is for you and Richard

Let's run the costs and the systems through the paces

so far I hear $16,000 for a Caleffi system and maybe that for labor? $32,000
saves $500 a year

CO2 production unknown to manufacture
Very little CO2 to run the ECM circulators

There are much less costly systems

NYSERDA here in NY is unveiling a new program this January
Will post more about it when they tell us more

Jin, Richard, others... what say you all

Asked By aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Dec 15 14

Meanwhile at BSC ... PHIUS draft standard

Not sure it was linked here .....
But it might interest some of us that missed the hint from PHIUS or PHAUS

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/bareports/ba-1405-draft-climate...

BA-1405: Climate-Specific Passive Building Standards

Draft paper from PHIUS and BSC .

Still reading and learning, interesting stuff.

Might we discuss the proposed standard now ? :)

Asked By Jin Kazama | Dec 12 14

Closed-cell spray foam on roof deck... shingle underlayment choice?

Good day,

I'm planning on doing spray foam insulation on the underside of my roof deck.

I'm about to start shingling next week, and was planning on using synthetic roof paper instead of tar paper.

Then I read an article saying that on unvented roof assemblies (what this will be), most synthetic roof underlayments should NOT be used.

I did some digging, and the product I had planned to use called "Rhinoroof" has a perm rating of 0.5, aka it would create a vapor sandwich between my shingles and under deck roof insulation.

http://www.interwrap.com/RhinoRoof/RhinoRoof-U15.html

Asked By Mark Helmrich | Dec 19 14

What should I use to create a smooth base under a soft floating flooring?

I am thinking about using a soft flooring like a linoleum or fiberglass flooring. I need to use something under it that is smooth but I am concerned about the VOCs from particle board type products.

Asked By Jacque Hyler | Dec 19 14

Unfinished basement, Cgi 5 gas boiler, Z vent. The outside air is making the basement cold. Can it be louvered?

Hi all,

So Ive just finished sealing the rim joist with 2" XPS (Dow Blue board) and spray foam, sealed the perimeter between the walls and floor with silicone, installed a air tight sump lid but was still getting drafts.

So Ive tracked it back to the Z vent for our CGi5 boiler, it seems the air is coming in through the z vent and back that way. It has the Z Vent termination cap on outside but was wondering if it could use a metal louver on the outside so when the boiler isnt firing it the drafts stay outside?

Asked By Darren Finch | Dec 16 14

Woodstoves: does efficient burning depend on size?

We are in the market for a new, non-catalytic woodstove. We understand that a non-cat stove needs a minimum temperature of around 500° for an efficient secondary burn. Question: Does attaining that 500° depend on the size of the stove at all? Or will the same quantity of wood produce the same burn temperature regardless of firebox size? (I know, dry, seasoned hardwood, etc.)

Asked By Patricia Appelbaum | Dec 17 14

Rigid insulation

Builder put rigid insulation on the exterior of the house.
But it is not sealed! Should they have put metal flashing on first?
Picture is looking up foundation wall, insulation, siding.

.

Asked By Shawn Ward | Dec 16 14