Should I consider using waterproof concrete for my foundation?

I have been looking carefully at my options for waterproofing the basement foundation of my future house in Vermont. I expect that the foundation will experience periods of hydrostatic pressure, so I am looking for the best waterproofing system with reasonable costs (e.g. up to $4000). I will, of course, install footing drains and a free draining layer on the outside of the foundation, and until recently I was planning to use a professionally applied elastomeric spray-on waterproofing product.

Asked By Timothy Denny | Apr 19 15

Request for comments on this wall mock-up.

CZ 6B - SW Colorado - 7000'

Asked By Chuck Jensen | Apr 18 15

Insulating a parallel scissor truss roof

The new side of my reno and expand project will have a 8/12 cathedral ceiling with parrallel scissor truss. I am planning R80 so 24" of batt or blown insulation in the truss space.

My question is.... since this insulation will be applied from the inside (well after the roof sheathing and then shingles are applied) how do I provide a space between the underside of the roof deck and the top of the insulation?

Asked By AlCocklake | Apr 12 15

Floor Slab: Is a Vapor Barrier Needed with Rigid Foam?

If one is using 3" of rigid foam (EPS) underneath a 4" slab-on-grade, does one still need to install a vapor barrier?

Here is the build-up from the ground up:

4" compacted AB
3" EPS (termite treated)
4" concrete

Asked By Peter L | Apr 18 15

Do I need to use concrete screws for plywood over an insulated floor?

i am following your advice on using XPS on concrete basement floor followed by two layers of 1/2 inch plywood. My concrete floor is 15 yrs old will I have trouble with concrete screws in older concrete? Can I just fasten the second layer to the first layer of plywood or can I use adhesive on the first layer or do I need the concrete screws?

Asked By Rita Erskine | Apr 17 15

'Finishing' above-grade Roxul Comfortboard: What are the best practices?

I'm building a new home. The exterior of the home, from the bottom of the basement to the edge of the roofline, is covered in 2" Roxul Comfortboard.

Asked By Ryan Lazuka | Apr 14 15

Cathedral ceiling rebuild techniques?

I have 900 sq feet of cathedral ceiling. Zone 7b. Its 2x10 rafter construction. No venting with recessed lights. Mold and moisture remediation will begin in 2 weeks. I've been doing lots of reading on GBA, I love this site and forum. Right now, the rebuild plan is a sealed ceiling with 4" of 2lb spray foam with the remainder of the rafter bay filled with fiberglass batts. All recessed lights will be removed. I'm considering T&G for the interior finish. Will the T&G change my insulation plan? Am I missing anything?
Thanks.

Asked By Scott Buchanan | Apr 2 15

White pine

Hi, I'm needing to build a large rabbit hutch with an enclosed run, and I have to use white pine because the bunnies will chew on the wood and it is safe for them.

Some areas will be exposed to the weather and I can't paint it. How will white pine hold up unfinished?

Asked By Girene | Apr 17 15

Can isocyanurate paper/fiberglass faced insulation board be used on the inside of a wood stud framed wall?

Have old house with 4" cavity in wood framed walls. Exterior has 1" sheathing board with 6" wood shiplap siding over it. Can we put isocyanurate bd on interior of walls to increase the R-factor before we sheetrock top 4' and wood veneer the bottom 5' of the wall. Is their any increased fire hazard or other concerns

Asked By Bill OConnor | Apr 17 15

Do I need an interior vapor barrier of some sort?

The house was built in 1991 and is located in SE Mich, Zone 5?

It currently has a wood composite siding, no housewrap, and a mixture of plywood and double foil-faced foamboard (no discernible pattern). The studs are 1x4s. On the inside, it had fiberglass with a plastic vapor barrier. The windows are flangeless wood windows that I plan on keeping and restoring.

Asked By Hedy O | Apr 17 15