Include provision for future ventilation?

The second story of my old farmhouse is gutted. I am in the middle of running electrical, etc and getting ready to close up the walls. It doesn't need it now, but as I keep working, the house may eventually need a ventilation system. Should I include provisions now while the walls are open for a ducted ventilation system later? Is separate ventilation ducting overkill? What type/size of ducting is typically used for the application? Is it best to locate grilles in the floor or walls?

I have done a lot of reading on the topic but I would like some input others.

Asked By Brian C | Aug 21 15

Basement cement floor as shower pan

Our planned basement shower pan is a 5' x 5' area of the poured concrete floor, sloped on all four sides to a central drain and sealed.

This isn't a normal request for a concrete contractor, I'm sure. Has anybody our there done it this way? Are we setting ourselves up for trouble?

(By the way, Plan B is to have the contractor drop the floor a couple of inches in this area and have the tile guy build a conventional mortar bed, Kerdi waterproofing and tile shower pan.)

Asked By Esther Streusand | Aug 27 15

Attic Ductwork

I live in Nashville, TN climate area 4A

My issue is my attic gets so hot in the summer months and my heat pump runs a lot but does not cool very well. This is a duplex home with each side having around 980 sq foot living space.

Asked By Janice West | Jul 11 15

Has anyone had experience with the Unico small duct system?

I was looking at the top finishers for the department of energy's "Race to Zero Student Design Competition" ( http://energy.gov/eere/buildings/2015-results ) and found the winner used the Unico system. http://www.unicosystem.com/the-system/how-it-works/air-handlers/. I recall actually being in a home in Chattanooga once 15+ yrs ago that I believe had one of these systems, but I really know nothing about them. With the problems associated with finding small enough systems for well insulated homes and cost effective systems...does anyone know if I should be looking at this as an alternative?

Asked By Andrew Bennett | Apr 29 15

Does leaving a service cavity on the inside of a double stud wall make sense?

Would there be anything wrong with the following assembly? From exterior to interior: Siding, furring, rigid insulation, sheathing (air seal and WRB), 2x4 stud wall, gap, netting stapled to inner studs. 2x4 stud wall, and finally drywall. The outer 2x4 stud wall and the gap would be filled with cellulose, but the inner 2x4 stud wall would be empty to allow easy wiring and plumbing.

This design seems to have some clear perks. Removed thermal bridges. You get a service cavity. The inner wall supports the netting, so it won't need excessive stapling.

Asked By John Ranson | Aug 27 15

Wall stack up opinions - using rigid foam as air barrier between double stud wall?

Hi,

I'm in climate zone 6A looking to build a partition wall between an attic bonus room. One side of the bonus room will remain as cold storage, and the other side will be heated by minisplits and resistance backup. I'm looking at building a double 2x4 wall separated by rigid foam. The exterior wall would be framed 24" o.c. to maximize insulation. There will be no plumbing or wires in the exterior wall. The interior framed 2x4 wall will be framed 16" o.c. and will contain wiring, and will possibly be plumbed for a sink.

From cold to warm, here is what I'm proposing:

Asked By Rick Van Handel | Aug 24 15

Anyone familiar with Insultex house wrap?

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this house wrap - http://www.insultexhousewrap.com/

They appear to be making some exaggerated claims and I am not certain that the R-value claimed would be possible.

Any thoughts?

Asked By Marcus Sheffer | Jul 31 15

Opinions sought on window details

Building a "good" house in zone-5.

Current plans are to use 2x4 framing with plywood sheathing, then two 1" layers of reclaimed foam, 1/2 thick furring for a rain screen and hardiboard siding.

I have a builder willing to do this and we are discussing window details. The windows are 5" thick and come with either an installation fin in the middle or no fin and you use straps to attach the windows.

Asked By Michael D | Aug 27 15

My project is insulating a 54 x 72 x14 pole barn in southwest Michigan

My project is insulating a 54 x 72 x14 pole barn in southwest Michigan.

I was able to purchase 4' x16'x 2" EPS foam sheets with foil on one side for a very reasonable price, (small imperfections) from a near by manufacture. I installed it in the walls, foil side...

In the ceiling I installed the EPS in the 4' space between the trusses, foil side down facing the interior, it will be covered with the interior steel liner and 14" of blown in insulation will be above. The building has a concrete floor with drains. I plan to heat with LP gas (infrared tube heaters).

Asked By Michael Schumacher | Aug 27 15

POLE BARN INSULATION/VENTILATION ADVICE

Editor's note: This is the second posting by Michael Schumacher on this topic. GBA likes to have all follow-up questions on the same thread, so the contents of Michael Schumacher's second post have been moved to the original thread. Here is the link to the original thread: My project is insulating a 54 x 72 x14 pole barn in southwest Michigan.

Asked By Michael Schumacher | Aug 27 15