How to release stored heat in floor's thermal mass

Years in the planning, five months in building, we are now home at last in our 1,100 sq passive home at 46 degrees North in North Central Minnesota.

Fujitsu Halcyon mini split heating and cooling.Heat load is around 26K BTU

Q 1. Am I correct assuming that I have to set the the two mini splits' thermostats at a night time temp that is lower than indoor temp before the concerete floor's thermal mass will release its heat?

Last night I set mini splits at 66 degrees -- guessing that that setting would be cooler than floor.

Asked By Randy Bunney | Oct 2 15

Insulation for radiant staple up

Hi, we are building a home in climate 5. The house will have geothermal with radiant heat in the basement slab and the first and second floors. We intend to finish the basement at a future date but not right away. Our contractor was planning to staple up the insulation with aluminum transfer plates and insulate with the foil bubble wrap stuff (thick foam under the basement slab.). I have read a lot about insulation for this type of application and it sounds like the foil bubble wrap stuff has little value.

Asked By Mel Tillyard | Oct 2 15

Antique house #1: Cedar Roof

I will likely be taking on a crazy project in the next few months - buying an old house in Rhode Island, and improving it, on speculation.

The general scheme is to
--Do minimal work on the older (about 325 years) portion of the house,
--Expand/rebuild the newer (about 115 years) section with modern kitchen, baths, windows, etc.
-- Remove ugly garage, breezeway, and dormer.

Asked By curtis betts | Sep 30 15

NON-Flanged (Insert) Window Replacement + Flashing

I changed out my rotten wood framed windows for all vinyl ones. The original wall was aluminum siding. I fixed the rotten sheathing, applied house wrap. Then strapped (furred) the wall with plywood. The pictures show how I flashed the rough window openings. I did NOT want flanged windows because I did not want to have to disturb the siding when the window needs to be replaced in the future (far into the futuer I hope). I see a lot of articles on how to flash flanged windows, but I never see methods for Insert (non-flanged) ones.

Asked By Alexander Sanita | Sep 28 15

penguins winter classic jersey new york rangers hoodie

It was a more difficult times for any Canadiens for a team, and it also only so transpired to drop at the time of Koivu's period as chief, 1 where he was normally at the mercy of judgments for his particular inability to present People from france so that you can Montreal's majority Francophone group of followers. [url=http://nyrangershockeyjerseys.com/37-2012-winter-classic-jersey]rangers winter classic jersey[/url]

Asked By brandicecp jeaninebthUT | Oct 3 15

Insulating a flat roof in Chicago

I have had continued problems with my flat roof on our 10-year-old 3-unit building. This will be the 3rd time having to do major work.

The ceiling below has about 8 inches of blown in insulation with an 8 inch or so open space above. All of which is within the engineered floor joist that should allow for air flow.

On top of the joists is the main roof deck and on top of the deck is an additional deck that is sloped with the roof membrane on top. The wood is completely rotted out but the main deck appears OK.

Asked By Andrew Rothstein | Sep 16 15

Double Stud Wall sheathing and vapor barrier

I am building a 10" thick double stud wall that will be dense packed with blown in cellulose. I live in Virginia in climate zone 4 in a mixed-humid climate. I am worried about warm air getting into my wall cavities and possibly condensing on the cold sheathing during the winter months. I have been thinking about my different options and was hoping to get some advice on each option.

Asked By Jimmy Nguyen | Sep 30 15

Can I use Durarock for exterior sheathing behind a stone Face?

I am building a garage with 2X4's spaced 16" on two layers of block in zone 5, only a stones through from zone 6 in upstate NY. Most of the walls will be sheathed with 7/16" OSB covered with tyvec, a coraplast rain screen, and sided with various LP smartside products. The inside of the stud bay's for now will not have insulation, yet I plan on using either fiberglass batts, or blown cellulose and sheet rock in the future to finish of the inside. Also at some point I plan on using a small wood stove to heat it periodically to thaw out cars and other things.

Asked By Dillon Vautrin | Oct 2 15

Are there any pre-designed house plans that feature ICF walls & SIP roofs?

Looking to see if there are any plans out there that feature ICF walls and SIP roofs? Or is this something that has to custom designed by an architect?

Asked By Peter L | Sep 29 15

Typical Youth Mixed Martial Arts Training Session

Technology is supposed to assist us save time. Although the majority of us may spend hours playing video games on our iPhones, the little gadget is supposed making our lives simpler and let us do more things in less time. While there isn't much any iPhone app designer can do not make you more disciplined, iPhone apps development companies around the world have been attempting to construct apps that help you save time. These apps will help you harness the power of your smartphone to get things done quicker.

Asked By Riley Dorn | Oct 2 15