Alpen vs Inline

I am comparing Alpen and Inline products. I have recieved quotations from both companies and I would like to pose a few questions to those that have a little more experience in this relam.

Both companies use fiberglass frames and Cardinal Low E Glass. Inline makes their frame and Alpen purchases the frame material through Inline.

Alpen makes a double pane window, their 525-s Series, that have a whole window U-factor of .19 for casements and .15 for pictures. Inline offers a triple pane window with a whole window u-factor of .17 for a casement and .14 for a picture.

Asked By David Mosijchuk | Mar 25 15

Suggestions/advice on vapor barrier product to use?

In the basement of my house (built in 1900) in NE Ohio...Half of the basement floor is finished, the other half is dirt floor covered by a few inches of crushed stone gravel. I had a mold issue, so looking to put a vapor barrier over the gravel floor. Also am getting slightly elevated radon level about about 4.9 to 5.1. I'm hoping maybe to solve both issue with one fix. Here's my dilema...I'm looking for a vapor barrier material that would withstand occassionally walking across it.

Asked By Justin Stine | Mar 25 15

Improving panned return ducts

Our bungalow is a standard setup, with a 2 story addition added later. In the whole house, best I can tell, there are 3 return ducts, all on outside walls of the original house (1 is now interior), all on the 1st floor and all panned. I can access some of them from the basement.

The 2 farthest from the furnace are panned across to the center of the house, then in a duct going below the joists, then back into a panned duct that goes above the duct pushing air out, and then into another duct that goes back to the furnace, if that makes sense.

Asked By Jeremy M | Mar 25 15

Modular house design overview

Hi All,

My presentation can be found at https://www.scribd.com/doc/258417069/House-Design-Overview-R3?secret_pas...

I am going to build a new house this year in south eastern MA. To reduce construction time I am planning on going with a modular builder. To control costs I am acting as the GC and planning on doing the HVAC install, attic and basement insulation, and plumbing/wiring hookups. I am still looking into modular builders, hopefully I can find one who is willing to set the house and make it weather tight and allow me to finish the rest of the work.

Asked By mike haskell | Mar 11 15

Where is the building envelope?

Doing several additions with new gable roofs overlaying the existing roof. New and existing roofs will have foam the underside of the roof sheathing. The question centers on where the envelope should be on the triangular overlay portion of the new/old roofs and should that triangle be vented in anyway.
Thanks

Asked By Robert Brown | Mar 24 15

2/12 cathedral roof replacement

Hi,

I have a shingled 2/12 roof that needs to be replaced it is a cathedral ceiling. It has no dormers or right angles to it, the size is about 40' by 20'. I am in Vermont so i have serious ice dams which i would like to minimize but heres the catch i am not looking for the 15k to 30k option. I am looking for the most reasonable balanced option under 10k. I have received a few quotes.

1. Strip roof, ice and water shield, architectual shingle ~5500k

Asked By mark kessler | Feb 23 15

Cool roof on a rigid foam retrofit

I have been doing extensive research prior to begining my remodel on my new home. I would like to get some advice on how to aproach my remodel.

The home is a 2600 sq ft contemporary style house. The majoroty of the roof is an unvented catherdral roof assembly. It is a simpole gable roof, although the North face is much steeper. It currently has an aging asphalt roof that will need replacing soon. I am planning a PV array instalation and need advice on what sort of assembly would be the best combination.

Asked By David Mosijchuk | Mar 23 15

Help with rainscreen options and cost for insulation on 1970s remodel

Hi, I am in Zone 4, Portland, Oregon.
My existing 1970's home is two stories with 2x6 framing with ) insulated walls(probaby still R13 in a daylight basement. Top floor main living room has 2x4 walls (R13). Existing Sheathing is Fiberboard sheathing (Cellulosic Fiber Insulating Board,).
I am tearing off existing combination of T111 and some other wood composite lap siding and installing a new rainscreen + fiber cement cladding, + new windows.

My Questions are:
1) What are the best cost effective option for a rainscreen layering if my fiberboard is intact and re-usable?

Asked By tauran ivall | Mar 24 15

A different use for earth tubes or pipes

I have been intrigued for a while by the potential of Earth Tubes (most significantly discussed here at: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/my-earth-tube-story'rel="My Earth Tube Story"'. I have a project coming up that will involve regrading, earth fill, and irrigation installation on a sloped half acre, so I may have the opportunity to bury some pipe (4-6ft deep, climate zone on the line of 5/6), if it seems worthwhile.

Asked By Stuart Miller | Mar 23 15

Obnoxious blinking audio ads

I have clicked on a few ads. But will only support those that display motionless still quiet ads. More than that and you lose me, and forms of violence could well takeover an individual.

Pushy ads suck.

Asked By aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Mar 25 15