Are solar panels today carbon footprint break-even during (and after) lifetime?

I know this is ever changing, and big effort is being made to find new ways to produce PV panels from cheaper/more environmentally friendly materials, but if I were to buy PV panels today, will they ever reach carbon footprint break-even point, when we take into account their production AND waste management?

On some soruces, I've found that getting rid of these panels is a big problem, because of the toxic materials used. How big a problem is this?

Asked By Davor Radman | Apr 19 18

Cedar ceiling in bathroom?

I want to install a cedar ceiling in my bathroom above the shower over the existing Sheetrock. Is there a vapor barrier needed or will i need any airspace between the ceder plank and the Sheetrock? I want planning on using any sealant on the wood. just tongue and groove planks and brad nail it up. Thanks for any help.

Asked By Cyprus2400 | Apr 18 18

Mold Remediation

Anyone have mold remediation on a commercial building experience or been/are in the mold remediation industry?

I have a maintenance contract on this building that just started, could smell a strong mildew odor in a unit on the top floor north side of the building when completing a PO. Was doing top floor work in the south side of the building no odor. Slight odor in hall at the midpoint of the building top floor. It was unseasonably warm that day, mid 40's high temp.

Asked By T Carlson | Mar 5 18

Comfort Board 80 vs 110 - density worth extra cost?

For our upcoming house build using 4" of rigid mineral wool we have been quoted for both Roxul comfort board 80 and 110. Over the top of this we will install 2x4 furring and cedar siding.

The 110 has a compressive strength of 1120 PSF at 10% deflection, the 80 is only 439 PSF at 10%, using the 110 will simplify the installation of furring as it will compress less, but I don’t know that the furring installation sub would price their install any differently between the two products. (Furring install not by insulation contractor).

Asked By Chris Armstrong | Nov 16 16

Thermalbuck Insulated Window Bucks

A person on my thread about Roxul Comfortboard vs ZIP-R Sheathing suggested that I use this insulated window buck when using the Roxul system. I never knew this type of product existed, but I think they deserve their own thread.

https://thermalbuck.com/

Anyone have experience using them?

Asked By Scott Wilson | Apr 17 18

Ceiling insulation

I live in South Florida and have an uninsulated open ceiling in a laundry room that used to be an outdoor laundry, it has since been surrounded by a finished living area. It is open to the roof with 6” trusses on 16” centers. The room has a block wall on one side and stud walls to the ceiling on the others so there is no way to vent the space from eaves to ridge. It gets very hot in there and I want to insulate and drywall the ceiling. Should I fill the joist space with insulation or should I leave a gap between the insulation and the roof deck?

Asked By TomProud | Apr 18 18

Wall insulation for a new room addition

I'm thinking about this (not so) future project. One option is 2x6 studding with R-19 (6") fiberglass batts in between studs. To gain more R value and reduce thermal bridging I was thinking of adding probably 2" of type II EPS (4.2 R per inch they say)to the inside of the studs, for about R-27 for the wall. I'm assuming this needs to dry to interior since plywood and/or OSB are pretty impermeable to moisture and would limit drying to the outside. Is that correct, and if so is 2" of EPS adequately permeable for interior drying? I would have sheetrock over EPS.

Asked By Howard Gentler | Apr 16 18

Sealing junction between ceiling drywall sheets

Hi,
I am about to air seal my attic. I will use caulk and polyurethane spray cans to seal air leaks around pipes, electric boxes, chimney, top of walls, ... I was wondering if the junction between the ceiling drywall sheets should also be sealed. Using caulk or polyurethane seem a little overkill (quite a lot of junction to cover $$$) to me and I was wondering if using waterproof paint in those junctions would be a good idea. In the end, I would like to seal all the air except the slow movement of air coming through the drywall itself.
Thank you
Louis

Asked By LongfieldL | Apr 13 18

Are low-e windows dangerous?

I've read a couple of articles that suggest low-e windows can cause fires. It sounds like the low-e coating (or a film, the articles weren't clear) is capable of reflecting and focusing sunlight in a way that can cause materials outside the house to combust. Does anyone have an explanation for what is going on with these windows?

Asked By Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia | Apr 1 18

Building on a rock ledge

Building a foundation is usually a pretty straight forward process in my part of the country. But I am considering a small lot that is likely more rock ledge or boulder than soil. The lot has great views in several directions, but I suspect the rock has deterred at least two previous owners from moving forward with their construction plans.

Asked By Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia | Apr 15 18