Double stud wall with a mid-wall vapor retarder

I'm starting the process of building a double stud house in the Milwaukee,WI area and am looking to find more information on double stud walls with plywood on the outside of the inner wall. I have already searched this site, but I wanted to see if I missed any articles/Q&A blogs that provide information on this wall system. I wanted to provide the builder with some information on why I chose this particular design. Any information/documentation links would be greatly appreciated.

Asked By Brad Depies | Jun 24 16

Roof buildup - Zone 4B

Curious as to this Shed Roof Build-up:

EPDM Roofing
2" Thermax Rigid Insulation Board (R-13)
Roof Underlayment
5/8" CDX Sheathing
2x12 DF#1 Rafters @ 24" o.c.
Layered Roxul Batt Insulation (R-46)

Any issues or potential problems?

Asked By Peter L | Jun 24 16

Now that outsulation is "out," what next?

Zone 5, Northeast US, two story residential home. Planning for exterior "true" cement stucco and areas of stone and brick veneer. After many permutations and consults, I have concluded, NO on outsulation. Two engineers, one architect, one stucco contractor, one mason and a few general contractors all said the same thing. The same thing that a while back was told to me here on GBA by Martin, "it is not proven and risky, be very careful".

Asked By Sal Lombardo | Jun 20 16

What should I use on the exterior of a dormer?

Climate code 5, old wood siding removed, 1/2" fiberboard in place, no insulation in the 2 x 4 walls. I will be installing vinyl siding. Mostly concerned that the dormer breaths and drys properly and not concerned with adding any R value. Thank you for your time.

Asked By Kris Burkett | Jun 24 16

Seeking insulation recommendations

I work with Habitat for Humanity in upstate SC (zone 3 - warm-humid), and we are researching practices to improve the energy efficiency of the houses we build.

We have been insulating the attic ceiling with blown-in fiberglass but are leaning towards insulating the whole building envelope now (cathedral ceilings and sealed crawlspaces).

First, is it cost-effective to put the HVAC unit and ductwork in the conditioned attic rather than the crawlspace?

Second, what type of insulation should we use in the roof?

Asked By Dylan Hillman | Jun 23 16

Why haven't steel-framed homes become more popular?

I am in the planning phase of building a home in the NJ-NY area, Climate zone 5. As I investigate my options; SIPS, double wall stick 2x4 wood, 2x6 wood, ICFs, CMU, Larsen trusses, etc.. and the myriad of permutations to insulate each one (spray foam, cellulose, hybrid batt & flash, exterior rigid foam/iso panels, etc....) I came across STEEL. My goal is as high R-value as I can get within reason $$, with hope of upwards of R-30 final values. That said, I need some objective input.

Asked By Sal Lombardo | Dec 27 12

Insulation options?

Zone 3 remodel (gutted)

Please help decide how to finish off the insulation on the inside.

from the outside
zip r6 sheathing
1" xps
block wall

essentially r11 on the outside of the block.

I have started to put 1" xps on the interior of the block wall and 1" furring strips... I am realizing that this is taking up 2" of space... and I have the ability instead (and probably a lot easier) to just frame a 2x4 wall on the inside instead.

I am spray foaming the roof deck with 8" of open cell.

Asked By Dean Sandbo | Jun 22 16

Eastern Canada 'pretty good house' Insulation strategies

I've read so many articles my head is spinning. I'm building in New Brunswick Canada which appears to be equivalent to your climate zone 7. I'm endeavouring to build a pretty good house meaning efficiency to the point of diminishing returns aka maximum value. One of the major challenges I have here is reconciling good building practices I'm reading about here with the capabilities of local contractors. With that said, I have a few questions.

Asked By Barry Reicker | Jun 14 16

Mini split advice

Climate Zone 5, Oakland County Michigan, building starting in July
2357 sq ft ranch, 2357 sq ft walkout basement.
2x6 walls dense pack cellulose, 3 inches exterior mineral wool
R60 ceiling insulation
Superior wall foundation for backfilled walls
R 7 Windows from Klearwall
Have access to natural gas but prefer to go electric if possible.

Thought I'd try and get your thoughts Dana and others on our Heating and Cooling plan. We just had a Manual J calculation done:

Total heating required including ventilation air: 37,561 Btuh

Asked By Brian W | Jun 22 16

Crawl space drainage

The best I can tell there is a spring (seep) under my house.

This is not an uncommon is our area. Most everybody has a spring or seep in their yard or around the foundation or both.

Asked By Eric Dolly | Jun 23 16