Easiest way to frame interior walls on slab

I am building a house with double wall construction. Exterior 2x6 wall is framed. It is a slab on grade home and there is some unevenness in the floor. Trusses will be delivered soon and I worry about having interior non-bearing walls sticking up too high and causing problems for trusses that are designed to span from exterior to exterior....no interior bearing walls.

Should I:
1) Frame all the interior walls a bit shorter and frame interior walls before setting trusses

Asked By Brett Greenburg | Sep 17 17

Zone 6b, Mass. Coast, mini split / Fujitsu?? Mitsubishi?? size?

hello,
I live in a coastal town north of Boston. My 1200 square foot house (600 upstairs, and 600 downstairs) is heated via electric baseboard heating. I never go above 60 degrees in the winter and still spend over $400 per month and this is with each room with its own thermostat and me turning them all down to mid-50's when no one is around and only turning up those rooms where we are. It is ridiculously cold in my house in the winter.

Asked By indoorsy | Sep 5 17

Hardie vs LP vs Cedar

Looking to remove the old clapboards on our house (remove the vinyl first), reinsulate the walls and reside with either Hardie Plank, LP Smartside or Cedar. Any opinions on pros and cons of each in climate zone 4? I hope to use 1" Zip R sheathing with the Obdyke Slicker Max rainscreen.

Asked By Michael Mohr | Sep 12 17

Pros and cons of gas vs. electric for DHW, cooking, and in-floor radiant heating?

We are building a 2000 sq.ft. Single story, 'pretty good house' in zone 6B in Colorado in a small town with both reliable electricity an natural gas. We are weighing the pros and cons of gas powered v electric powered system for DHW including the infloor radiant heating. If we set aside the issue of fossil fuel use, what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks in advance.

Asked By user-6885857 | Sep 10 17

SES Spray Foam, anyone? (Sucra Seal)

Anyone have experience with this foam product? Suppose to be "Green". It is rated R6.5 for their closed cell.

I received several quotes from different foam installers (different products). The installer that sprays SES (Sucra Seal) quoted me significantly lower than the rest (25% less). I was wondering if anyone has experience with this product which suppose to be the most environmentally friendly foam product out there (not sure how true this is).

Other products i was quoted on were (Icynene and Covestro)

Please advise.

Asked By eldarchik | Sep 18 17

SIP house — Backup heat source?

I am going to be building a 26' x 32' SIP enclosed house (6 1/2" Walls and 12" Roof) that will be heated with a Ductless MSP (1 outdoor unit and 2 indoor heads). My coldest day requirement will be around 17k BTUs per hour. The design temp for coldest temp is -15. I know I will need a backup system for when the Coefficient of Performance drops down... I have tentatively designed for a woodstove as backup but I really would rather avoid it.

Asked By John Brown | Sep 16 17

SIP "Larsen studs"

From my local SIP maker I can get 10' lengths of 1 3/8" wide 7" deep SIP for about twice the price of a 2x6, I'll complete the stud by Adding a strip of Thermoply 7" wide on one side.using polyurethane glue and some staples. This makes a quasi "Larsen" truss that I'll build my outer walls with. I can insulate between these "studs" with ordinary low cost mineral wool bats for r30 in the cavities. These SIP studs with he Thermoply "web" are about r23, pretty awsome, I think.

Asked By Jerry Liebler | Sep 15 17

Radon mitigation with sealed crawlspace and partial walkout basement

Does anyone know of a resource that addresses radon mitigation for a foundation area with a sealed crawlspace and partial walk-out basement on new construction in Zone 3A?

I am assuming the crawlspace and basement mitigation systems can share an exhaust pipe and I have a good understanding of the under slab portion for the basement. So, what is the best method for the crawlspace?

Asked By Norman Bunn | Sep 10 17

Spider Tie concrete house?

Showed up on Facebook today; I didn't find it in a search on GBA.

https://www.facebook.com/viralinusa/videos/466226290403946/

http://spidertie.com/

Comments?

(I live in a home with an ICF foundation. We had a "miss" on bracing at one location and ended up with a small "bow" that, fortunately, we were able to take out by milling down the EPS. This video seems to infer that no external bracing is required?

Asked By Andrew Bater | Sep 16 17

Cape Cod--Building a maintainable insuated roof (on the cheap!)

We are purchasing a Cape Cod style home near Dayton, OH (climate 5A, but the southern edge). I've read many of the helpful articles here (thanks, Martin, for the notes about Capes here: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/articles/dept/musings/insulating-cap... . I can't say I wasn't warned!)

Other articles I found very useful:
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/all-about-attic-v...

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/how-build-insulat...
This situation:

Asked By Mark Waldron | Sep 11 17