Fake dormers in 2016

I see these "green energy builders" putting on tacky fake dormers on the roofs of these homes. Usually 2 fake dormers. Are not fake dormers HUGE energy pigs? Not to mention, always a potential source of roof leaks?

I don't get it why they put those tacky things on homes in 2016.

Asked By Peter L | May 26 16

Marathon and a heat pump water heater

Planning on Installing a heat pump water heater 80 gal rheem. and dumping it into two marathon water heaters... 50 gallon each. One of the marathons would be right next to the heat pump the other 80 feet away. Big long house.... The one 80 feet away would feed 1 1/2 baths, kitchen sink, dishwasher, washing machine, and potentially outdoor shower...

I know there will be about a gallon and a half sitting in that 3/4 line.. Essentially I am preheating the water going into the marathon...

Here is the question.

Asked By dean sandbo | May 27 16

How deep do I go? Replacing dormer siding on 1915 house.

Hello- I've been digging into this fantastic treasure trove of articles for a couple of days (and nights) as I plan a re-side project on my dormers (In St. Paul, MN).

The problem is that as I read more, I'm starting to add so much to the "might-as-well" list that it will easily spiral out of control in terms of time and budget.

So- where can I draw the line? What techniques should I use depending on where I draw the line? Here's what I mean:

Asked By Stefan Theimer | May 26 16

Tremco acoustical sealant vs. Tremco TREMPRO JS-773

Does anyone know the difference between the two? I know the Tremco accoustical sealant is the black death that is known to have properties which make it good for air sealing. The Tremco TREMPRO JS-773 is quite a bit cheaper and is described to be non-skinning and non drying like the acoustical sealant, but I don't really hear of anyone using it. The TREMPRO JS-773 also seems more readily available online. Would the TREMPRO JS-773 be suitable for sealing the sill plate if used in conjunction with an EPDM gasket?

Asked By Dillon Vautrin | May 26 16

Adding connected sun room and greenhouse, suggested plans?

I'm thinking of taking this concept and adapting to my situation.

Differences:
Mine can be 15' wide, connected to the house by addition's north wall. Needs to be at least 25' long, up to max 35'.

North wall of addition would join the house, and the long dimension will go south. The sides face east-west.

I plan to add the wall so I can pack it with insulation and make it sturdy for heavy snow years.

Asked By Andy Nels | Feb 17 16

Poly vapor barrier under XPS foam board in slab radiant pour

I am building a 28x40 garage in New Hampshire. I am doing an I slab radiant pour. I plan to use 2 inch xps foam board under the slab and as a thermal break to to frost walls. The issue that I have is that this install is for a garage build and will not have a roof over the floor before the slab pour leading to the possibility of rain water ending up being caught between the vapor barrier and foam board before the pour. My question is why would taping the xps foam board seams not act as an effective vapor barrier?

Asked By Jonathan Sinclair | May 26 16

Attic insulation quandary

Seeking advice on renovation plans for a 1910 house in ND - Zone 7.

HOUSE DETAILS:
- 2 1/2 stories above ground with full basement.
- 2nd story has 'sun porch' facing south.
- 2 layers of siding. Inner layer has lead paint (of course)
- Insulated in the 70's with formaldehyde foam, holes drilled through exterior to fill cavities.
- High efficiency propane furnace, forced air.
- 2 chimneys.
- 1st in middle of house used for original oil-burner furnace and water heater. Now used by wood fireplace in basement.

Asked By Tim Lange | May 16 16

HVAC - Gas furnace vs. heat pump vs. ducted minisplit

It seems the general consensus here, on a very tight or "pretty good" house, is for ductless minisplit. I'm trying to understand the economics.

The following parameters are non-negotiable:
1. Climate zone 3A
2. The house will be piped for natural gas for, at a minimum, cooking and outside grill

Asked By C L | May 22 16

Is it possible to repair a SIP roof that is rotting?

We built an SIP home using panels from ACH Foam Technologies. The roof was installed according to manufacturers specks. The panels were OSB on both sides of expanded polystyrene insulation, about 7" thick. Block splines were installed with the prescribed Do All Ply sealant. This design had space between the lines of calk for air to move vertically. The OSB has begun to de-laminate at the seams visibly under the shingles.

Asked By Allan Poole | Sep 6 15

Stamped concrete patio near foundation

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding a patio near the foundation of our house. My wife and I have been dealing with water issues in our basement/crawl space for a while now, and we just recently had a contractor in to seal the vent properly, install a membrane along the foundation wall, and add French drains tied into the downspout.

As the last part of this work, we have removed a surface deck that the old owners installed and are looking to install a stamped concrete patio with the same dimensions (14x30) pitched away from the home. Specifically my questions are:

Asked By Ryan Lambert | Mar 19 16