Roofing / snow & ice safety / uninsulated in zone 5-6

I'm working on a house on the edge between Zone 5/6. It is uninsulated and sadly its going to stay that way.

It also needs a new roof, and that's not optional.

Of course it will keep getting ice dams and large icicles (boo hiss).

My question has to do falling snow & ice. The main roof is a hip. So falling snow/ice raises two issues.

1. Front and back porch already take a beating from above. I can see how the shingles fared (maybe halved their lifespan) How does metal hold up in these situations?

Asked By Mark Baker | May 24 16

Mitsubishi minisplits — horizontally ducted

Sorry - I blv I posted the same in another section. Please ignore this question if it's a duplicate.

We are not fans of ductless units. Therefore, we opted for the hidden horizontally ducted units that Mitsubishi provides. Unfortunately, all the Mitsubishi contractors we talked to have never designed a home with these type of units. Plenty of ductless experience.

Asked By Ismail Mohammed | May 21 16

Fan coils and return air from framing voids

Dear Advisor,

Asked By Dan Cullen | May 23 16

Metal roof and wall assembly in Los Angeles

Could you advise on my roof and wall assembly? I want to do better than code and local building conventions (leaky stucco houses) , but don't want to: (1) waste money since the climate is mild; (2) make inadvertent mistakes by diverting from what's tried and true here, and by indiscriminately applying lessons that are meant for more severe climate.

What's your opinion of the most cost effective spec for this climate?

Asked By Claire L. | May 23 16

Why is our home so inefficient?

We bought an 1,800 sq. foot house in the north Berkeley hills in November of last year. There was a small mold issue which we remediated in December and January. During that time we also did an extensive HVAC upgrade, with a 3-zone heating/cooling system, smaller/more efficient duct work, an in-line dehumidifier, and in-line air filter. (Our daughter is sensitive to mold and other airborne allergens, which is why we installed the dehumidifier and air filter.)

Asked By Chris Durand | May 22 16

What would a weighted average R-value be for a Superior Wall Xi?

I am trying to determine what the weighted average R-value of a Superior Wall XI and XI plus wall is. Does anyone know? I can post cross sectional diagrams if someone can tell me how.

Asked By Chaz Steffen | May 23 16

Fastening details - deck ledger to insulated slab

I am designing an insulated Monolithic Slab. I plan to install 4" of Roxul comfort board beneath and around the perimeter of the slab.

Does anyone have experience attaching a deck ledger to a slab (or stem wall) that is insulated with Roxul? Or is it advisable to place a higher density product beneath the ledger to avoid compression which may happen with the Roxul Comfortboard?

What type of fasteners are recommended for this application? Would a standard wedge type concrete fastener like a red head work?

Other solutions?

Asked By Michael Iacona | May 19 16

Flashing "innie" windows - tape, caulk, anything at all?

Hi everybody! My builder friend and I are uncertain whether or not we are making mountains out of molehills here, and were hoping to get some feedback on a flashing detail.

This project has a thick wall buildout and "innie" windows: the nailing flange of each window is on the same plane as the house wrap, with exterior insulation and strapping/siding on top of that.

Asked By Benjamin Wooten | May 9 16

Floating slab with frost walls — Plumbing and floor framing

We are doing a relatively large expansion. of a small studio space. A much earlier constructed garage/shed to which the studio space was added on to has been removed. We are using an insulated pad with frostwalls. The expansion will include all plumbing. Due to unavailability of a plumber and concerns over the lack of flexibility of cast in place plumbing, we have decided to frame the 4 x 12 foot portion of the pad.

Asked By Potter Shaw | May 23 16

Paint choices

Asked By Lucyna de Barbaro | Mar 5 16