Flexible, Long Lasting, Sealant

In upper CZ-4, I will be placing Huber Zip R-6 panels ( with 1" of PolyIso on the interior) against 2x6 stud walls and plates. I would like to use a sealant between the PolyIso and the bottom & top plates and around the windows and doors. A Huber rep recommended the use of a Silicone Sealant or a urethane based sealant. An article that I read recently, "Making sense of caulks and sealants" indicates that silicone does not adhere well to wood.

Would you please recommend a sealant that adheres well, remains flexible forever, forms an airtight seal and of course is economical.

Asked By Ted Cummings | Aug 23 16

It is better to spray closed cell insulation on back of roof decking or over the ceiling joists?

New construction with cathedral roof.

Asked By Cynthia Richards | Aug 23 16

Should closed spray foam be used in Cathedral vented roof?

We paid for spray foam, now the builder is saying there's no need to spray as high in the cathedral roof, it would be more efficient to sheet rock near the HVAC and spray foam. After reading articles it says it's best to spray un-vented cathedral roof, which will keep bad heat and air from entering at the surface, therefore the area between the HVAC and cathedral roof is cooler.

Asked By Cynthia Richards | Aug 23 16

Difference between Cardinal Glass factory-sealed units vs. third-party sealed units

After researching several window manufacturers I learned some manufacturers buy sealed glass units directly from Cardinal and others only buy the raw glass sheets from Cardinal and seal them in house or sub out the glazing to a third party manufacturer.

Is there any benefit to go with a manufacturer that only buys their sealed units directly from Cardinal?

I assume window manufacturers save money sealing and filling the units in house but do they have the same quality controls in place like Cardinal Glass seems to have.

Asked By Steven Johnson | Aug 22 16

Questions on creating a conditioned attic

I've been reading through the other questions and articles by Martin and I think I have something of a handle on my options, but I really feel like I need some expert advice before I proceed. I'm in a suburb of Chicago (Zone 5a) and just bought a house with a attic that was basically built as a 3rd floor complete with a set of stairs coming up to it. It has 8" rafters and is currently vented. As it is, it's pretty hot in the summer, easily over 120 degrees. The floor of the attic is insulated and has plywood over it so the current thermal envelope is to the ceiling of the 2nd floor.

Asked By John Daves | Aug 22 16

Insulating rim joists

Hello. I've been reading q&a on this website for a long time and have always found the content very helpful. This is my first time posting a question and hope someone has some information for me.

Asked By P Coyne | Aug 18 16

Flat roof installer in Wisconsin

I have a cold flat roof, which is currently vented. I'm thinking of installing a warm roof and making it an unvented roof. Does anyone know of a good contractor for this kind of project?

Thanks

Asked By Betina Chaon | Aug 22 16

Pex size for hose bibs?

I have a very long ranch house...
All of my potable water has been plumbed with uponor manifolds 3/4 supply, 1/2 home runs to each fixture.. (two manifolds for each side of the house).

I want to run my hose bib's before my water softener.

the question I have is can I use the same method.. a home run of 3/4 pex... attached to a manifold with 1/2 off of that to multiple hose bibs?

I was planning on using woodford model 19's.

I imagine using 3/4 all the way would give me more volume at the hose bib..

Asked By Dean Sandbo | Aug 21 16

Mooney floor

I want to put insulation on top of a concrete floor.
A layer of foam + plywood bolted to the concrete has been suggested. (By Dana I think)
While that looks an good option I've been exploring more low cost options.

What about a Mooney wall, flooring variation.
Thinking about 2x4 + 2x4, filled with blown in cellulose. Likely GreenFiber or InsulMax.

Is that a good alternative?

Asked By Tony Tibbar | Aug 6 16

Use foam "fluff" as attic insulation?

A facility near me apparently cuts up a lot of XPS foam and advertises the remains on craigslist for free. They have huge bags of about 4"x4"x1.5" chunks and others they refer to as "fluff". They're just very small, finely ground up pieces of the foam. Since this is free, I was wondering if the "fluff" could be used almost like cellulose in the attic or if the fact that it is no longer solid would greatly diminish its insulating abilities? Thanks for any advice.

Asked By Ryan Cornelius | Aug 22 16