thicker walls -- [Not really a new thread]

The interior is gutted to the studs. Was going to replace old isolation with R-15. Will be residing in the future. Vinal is brittle and we are replacing all windows. Doing all the work myself so it's just what I think I'm worth.
Thank you

Asked By Scott Neels | Mar 23 15

Non-typical insulation of barn / garage

I live in Interior Alaska Zone 7/8. I have a rather large barn pole barn that needs to be insulated so it can be heated. Since it is rural there is no code but i want to ensure that i do not do something that damages or ruins the building over the long term with that said money is not unlimited. The space is intended to be heated to just above freezing 35 to 40 typical with the ability to warm even more during use. Not a business just personal use during the week.

Barn size is 50x60 with 14 foot walls.

Asked By James Williamson | Mar 22 15

Hard or flaccid?

I am advising my friends on their 50s ranch upgrade with full basement. The house could never be made energy efficient unless it was completely torn down and rebuilt. They have a lower seer HVAC system that is a tad bit over-sized and runs like a top. Their GC wants them to completely rip-out the very accessible (full basement) hard HVAC duct and install a new system for 16k+ not including 18% markup (estimate with no manual J or D, to go by I might add), because their system is "too leaky" which he summarized by just eyeballing it.

Asked By leo kloop | Mar 23 15

New PHIUS+ 2015 released and in effect as of March 16th, 2015

Interested to hear comments on the new PHIUS + 2015 that went into effect on March 16, 2015. They made a lot of changes and the biggest being the each climate zone and specific area will have its own standards. Not one big gigantic fits all approach like PassivHaus but very specific to climate zones, house size, etc.

Read more here:
http://www.phius.org/phius-2015-new-passive-building-standard-summary

Asked By Peter L | Mar 20 15

Question re furring strips, XP drywall, and finishing basement over 3" of polyiso

I have used recycled roofing polyiso panels (1.5" stuff), staggered them, and going to foam the gaps where I can and use acoustic sealant ("the black death") on gaps too small for foam.

Here is a big question, I want to put furring strips horizontally and just mount drywall over that:
1. Is it OK to just go with furring strips and not build out full 2X3 or 2X4 framing. Wasn't planning to fill the gap with anything between drywall and polyiso

Asked By Apollo S | Mar 23 15

Insulating basement ceiling/first floor

I suspect this has been much discussed, so feel free to bump me over to a thread if one exists...

We have a relatively modern (1981), reasonably efficient gambrel in Maine. Full basement, concrete foundation, unfinished (used for storage and a workshop. Not heated, but gets residual heat from the oil boiler. Temp hovers between 50 and 70, depending upon what the boiler is doing.

Asked By John Gold | Mar 23 15

What is the best material for the underside of a porch?

Currently the underside is bead board. After this winter in the Northeast it split from ice dam buildup and 2' of snow sitting on the outside overhang 8' by25'. The style of the house is a New England farmhouse. I understand their are two thickness' of wood beadboard, PVC. I'm a little reluctant to use the wood because of possible moisture. The orginal was but up in the 20's. Replaced with new in2014. The thin wood type.

Asked By John Spears | Mar 23 15

Air sealing, flashing questions

I have to say that reading GBA for 4 years certainly helps when you build your own house (my brother's house, really), but it does not replace actually getting your hands dirty or sticky. I use the term sticky because my job is air sealing and I get covered in sticky stuff daily.

I have a few questions because I am not sure that I am doing things correctly. I don't really "get" flashing. I know you are supposed to "think like water" and ask yourself where would the water go and how to divert it to the outside of the building, but some details still baffle me.

Asked By Lucy Foxworth | Aug 25 13

Makeup air advice needed

I had a recent post asking advice regarding HRV vs exhaust only ventilation for my very tight energy efficient smaller home that I am building. Balanced HRV systems if installed properly could have exhaust lines in the bathroom and in the kitchen with boost capacities negating the need for additional exhaust lines.

The major stumbling blocks are the very high cost of proper installation and space requirement for the system itself for easy accessibility as well as space for the duct work.

Asked By Victoria Williams | Mar 22 15

Is anybody aware of an hybrid air-source heat pump and gas boiler available in U.S. market?

I know Daikin makes one for the the European market, but I can't find a similar product that is available here.

Asked By Joseph Carry | Mar 21 15