Attic ventilation

The information available on your site is awesome, so thank you for making it available to others.

I'm located in 2A region, a coastal county in Texas. I recently purchased an approximately 1120 sq ft farmhouse built in the 1940's. The home currently has three turbines in peak areas, each within about 10 feet or less from a gable vent. There are no soffits; the roof hangs over about 8 inches (in most areas) and has about 2 -4 inches, ( most areas) above the top plate under the roof interior. The HVAC is in the attic space.

The house is basically a "T":

Asked By N Madrid | Dec 15 14

To install engineered hardwood flooring over a basement slab, can I use (2) 3/8" CDX plywood over 1/2" XPS?

QUESTIONS: Can I use 2 layers 3/8” CDX Southern Pine plywood (joints staggered, glued & screwed together, but NOT mechanically attached to the slab) over 1/2" XPS? Whether I install the plywood sheathing over a vapor-retarder or rigid foam insulation, is CCA treated plywood necessary in either case? Which installation method (e.g. rigid foam or vapor-retarder) do you recommend in view of my concerns below?

Asked By Kevin Peters | Dec 11 14

Asked By Kevin Peters | Dec 11 14

PV, electric autos, and the saving grace for utilities

Dana, this sounds like you... interesting how the future has changes the save us from... changes...

Asked By aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Dec 9 14

Preferred home characteristics for auditors/retrofitters?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here at greenbuildingadvisor. I know that auditing companies/retrofitters will often screen homes with surveys, or by collecting publicly available information to determine whether or not a home has potential for energy savings.

Asked By Henry Sims | Dec 14 14

Will my generator run a minisplit safely?

My new house will be heated with two minisplit heat pumps. Here in Maine, we have lots of power outages, so we're also putting in a whole house standby generator.

I've been informed by the Fujitsu installer that we should not plan to run the minisplits off the generator when the grid power goes out. We also may install a heat pump water heater and maybe even a heat pump dryer. We'll have some backup heat.

I have two questions:

1. Would the generator power damage the heat pumps or prevent them from operating?

Asked By stephen sheehy | Dec 13 14

Need help with insulating a gambrel style shed

I have a 14x36 gambrel barn style shed with vinyl siding that is currently being used for storage that I would like to use part (probably half) as office space. I’m not looking to fancy up the place, I’m just looking for a cost effective way to insulate to stay warm because it’s currently an icebox. It’s 2x4 construction (framing, rafters, joists), OSB sheathing, and has two(2) loft spaces. I have purchased Roxul Comfort batt R15 and 4mil clear construction film for the walls but I am not sure how to approach the open ceiling/roof space. It has a continuous ridge vent but no soffits.

Asked By Angela Somerville | Dec 12 14

Porch Insulation

This is another of those porch attic insulation interface questions--
Zone 4 - New construction
A couple of attached 3 season porches are created by overhanging roofs. The roof is truss built and the area over the conditioned space will be an unvented conditioned attic insulated with spray foam.

The main question is how to handle the attic space over the porches--

Asked By John Nooncaster | Sep 24 11

The costs of PH consultants, rights to submit building plans

In Upstate NY plans over 1500 sqft need to be submitted by licensed architects or the proper engineer

Costs run $250 at the low end to approve already drawn plans to $5,000 and up in my work do far.

I would like to see costs discussed here and in a blog Martin along with the fact that a PH consultant is basically doing what two others are the only ones licensed to submit plans.

Archs and engineers pay dearly in expense and time for several years of education and then often some years as an underling in the appropriate office.

Asked By aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Dec 14 14

Thank You to the Green Building Community!

This is just a quick note of thanks and appreciation to the folks who make up the Green Building Industry.

People contact the Small Planet Workshop in many ways . These days people place orders by phone, email and even text. This week someone placed the 1000th order of our online store: www.smallplanetworkshopstore.com. While that may happen over a coffee break at Amazon.com, it's a humble milestone for a small company like ours.

The order was from the Midwest USA and was for various Airfoil Electrical boxes (Yay Doug McEvers!).

Asked By albert rooks | Dec 14 14