Flat roof assembly question

I am replacing the roof on a brick masonry building in NYC within the 5 borough. The building was built in 1910/11. It is a flat roof, about 40 ft long and 25ft. wide. The previous roof (a tar and gravel system) failed and my brother and I removed it, and replaced the damaged roof deck. (a mixture of plywood replaced probably 30-40 yrs ago, and the original t&g boards) with 3/4 OSB. Toward the front 10 foot or so of the building the t&g boards were dry and strong so we left them in place. A little bit of repair to the cornice "box" was necessary.

Asked By Jacob Turetsky | Sep 22 16

Manufactured stone veneer

I know this is not really a green building question, but I am looking for a copy of the MVMA installation instructions, First edition. I have later versions, but was hoping to find the original version. Thanks.

Asked By Mark Reinmiller | Sep 22 16

Crawl space ventilation

I am building a raised floor wood construction home in the Monterey Peninsula, CA. The current plan to keep the crawl space dry and ventilated is to put a rat guard, seal off the space, and add a 75+ cfm fan that will have tubing that will draw & supply air from exterior locations. The footprint of the crawl space is about 3700 SF. The height varies from 1.5' - 2'.

My questions are:
Is this a good plan?
What would be good exhaust and supply locations?
Can you recommend a reasonably priced fan for this application?

Much thanks,
Barbara

Asked By Barbara French | Sep 22 16

Converting a flat roof to a pitched roof?

I'm in the process of remodeling my 1950s ranch house. I have a modified bitumen flat roof, which is about 15 years old. The roof is in okay shape right now, however it's sloped incorrectly in about half the roof and has some ponding of a few inches most of the time. There has been some damage to the roof sheathing near the chimney in the past. The rest looks to be in good shape. I'd like to improve the roof and be able to add more insulation to the ceiling as the first part of my renovation. I'd like to get your opinions on the best way to improve the roof.

Asked By Betina Chaon | Sep 20 16

Closed-cell foam insulation

We own a century home which over the years has sunk into the ground so there is little or no crawl space. In order to insulate the ground floor, I would like to tear out the old oak tongue and groove flooring, cover the subfloor with a vapor barrier and then fasten 2x4s to the subfloor and use closed cell foam to insulate. Does this sound like a feasible plan?
Chuck Pemberton

Asked By Charles Pemberton | Sep 21 16

Strapping screws: to angle or not to angle?

For 4" of XPS, with a 3/8" airspace and 3/4" plywood strapping, is it sufficient to screw in straight, or do I need to screw in at an angle? I've read where both are "recommended". From my small-scale mockups, screwing straight through seems adequate, but I've never done this before so I don't want to screw it up (sorry :P). The screw pattern I'm using comes from the manufacture's data sheet, and it doesn't specify a screw angle.

Asked By John P. | Sep 19 16

Is a reflective surface necessary under radiant floor heating?

I have a situation in a house with a full basement where there is radiant heat in the floor joists of the first floor, accessible from the basement.
There are unfaced fiberglass batts in between the joists under the radiant piping. My business partner thinks we should replace the fiberglass with foil faced foam, but I think it's not necessary.
My partner's rationale is that there needs to be a reflective surface and there is none now.

Asked By Josh Engle | Sep 22 16

Should I consider Structured Plumbing in 4500 sq. ft. house?

Hello and thank you for looking at my question. I hope someone can explain this to me in laymen's terms.

Asked By Cherylann Schieber | Sep 19 16

North Idaho ranch house design

Our house will be around 1800 sq ft with a 600 sq ft attached garage. In northern Idaho, zone 6.

The plan is to build slab on grade due to water table issues in my subdivision.
Heat would be hydronic in floor heat. High efficiency natural gas boiler which would both supply hot water to floor and heat domestic hot water. Looking forward to no forced air noise or dust. We have Natural Gas service at street.

Asked By Steve Wolfe | Sep 15 16