Calculating how much air needed to even out temps for minisplit

I'm building an 800sf 2 story house, R20 under slab, R40 walls, R60 roof, as airtight as possible, but likely just double pane windows (due to cost). 12% glazing, mostly on south side, w/ 4" slab on first floor. Using Marc Rosenbaum's heat loss spreadsheet, I get around 4000BTHU building load here in Portland Oregon at the 97% coldest day of 23F and a design temp of 70F, so a delta T of 47F.

Asked By Tom Frisch | Oct 23 14

Thermostats with radiant floor heating

I recently read an article comparing forced air and radiant heat energy use. The finding showed that the folk with radiant heat set their thermostats higher than for forced air. I hope that I am not being silly, but how can a thermostat on a wall respond to radiant heat? If one put a metal foil around the thermostat ,but let air flow occur, would the thermostat read a different number? I read in Mr Lyles masonry stove book that a cathedral that had radiant heating only had a 2 degree difference between the floor and ceiling (75 feet up).

Asked By Mike Legge | Oct 12 11

Flat roof insulation

I have built an extension to my house with flat roof, continuation of the existing house. The rafters are 16 in apart and there is 6 in left for the insulation under the sheeting. The plans are requiring R30 insulation and the building inspector requested hard foam Thermasheath- 3, 5 in thick, leaving 1 in for breathing. The drywall was not installed yet, when water from condensation came down all over the place. There are vents on both sides of the roof, in each bay under the insulation level, not allowing the hot air to escape.

Asked By Angela M | Nov 22 13

What kind of insulation would you recommend for a 20' shipping container being renovated into a home/studio space?

I'm renovating a 20' shipping container into a home/studio space and am wondering what would be the best "green" insulation to use. I will be doing some interior framing so would like to insulate the inside walls and floor. As well, I am building a green roof/deck that is framed using the structural strength of the container (no weight on the center of the roof) and would like to add insulation between the joist supports and deck floor (approx 3" - 9" above the container roof) and the steel roof.

Asked By Sarah Beckstrom | Jan 19 14

Roof insulation

Home location in zone 2A Central Florida (Not on the coast). Having 2,053 SqFt living space w/above ceiling blown in insulation R-30 and an additional 1,027 uninsulated space. Fully vented at the soffet with minimal ridge vent. Soon to install 2 solar powered thermostat controlled 1600cfm roof vents. The wall construction is CMU block w/stucco finish. The roof is 6:12 pitch, Arch shingles over 30lb felt paper and OSB. The ceiling plane is tight.

Asked By Steven Clark | Oct 24 14

Will spray foaming my basement rot my sill plate?

Hi Martin or whoever would like to add input to my query. I live in Eastern Canada near the coast in a Zone 6/7 environment. I live in an old house with an low ceiling unfinished basement that is freezing cold all winter.

Asked By Chris McLean | Oct 24 14

Radiant Retrofit Best Practice

We recently purchased a home which had a radiant retrofit in the basement approx 10 years prior. Our first winter (last) I noticed some mold showing through the finished flooring (4' x 8' wheat board). Long story short, I found 2 screws had pierced the pex and slowly corroded over the years finally leaking and ruining it all.

The layout was 6" wide 3/4" hardboard sleepers glued and nailed to the slab with 1/2" pex between. Over the pex and sleepers, 12" wide aluminum flashing was stapled and then finish flooring. The slab is insulated (2 layers of 2" polystyrene under the slab).

Asked By mie asdfav | Oct 24 14

Using foam sheeting & faced fiberglass batts

I am insulating my garage ceiling and have laid 1" foam sheeting above the horizontal 2x4 of the trussses. My plan is to put faced fiberglass batts between the trusses up to the 1" foam sheets. Then I would like to put another 1/2" foam sheet over the fiberglass batts, sandwiching the faced fiberglass between the foam sheets. Is there anything wrong with doing this? Thank you for your help!

Asked By Mark Woyak | Oct 23 14

Good idea to insulate old house with cellulose?

I have a house that is well over a century old, its balloon framed and has no insulation in the walls, i am planning on getting dense packed cellulose, but i want to know if i am creating any moisture problems or other issues that should give me pause.

Its vinyl siding over original wood siding on wood planks with 2x4 framing and plaster and lath inside.

Asked By Alan B | Oct 23 14

Attic insulation — existing

I have a 1800 sq. ft. ranch home built in 1969. Climate zone 5. Existing attic floor/ceiling area has a layer of 3" fiberglass insulation with vapor retarder facing the heated space. The second layer of insulation is a 3" layer of fiberglass with vapor retarder facing the attic area.

Both layers have been installed inside the joist bays and stuffed very tightly at the top of wall/ceiling intersection-no soffit vents in place. The roof has box vents and gable vents in place for ventilation.

Asked By bob prince | Oct 22 14