Does anyone know of any links to energy efficient duplex house plans? Preferably something compatible with passive house or similar low-energy paradigm... thanks in advance!
p.s. Martin posted a link to a similar question of mine but they were all SFD plans..

Asked By erik olofsson | Apr 14 14

Is anything like Uni-Solar Powerbond still made?

It seems like a much much more aesthetic form of PV than conventional panels, especially if it were sized correctly to cover the whole south-facing side of a roof. The ideal would be a solar shingle solution that actually looked like shingles or slates, but this doesn't seem to exist.

I know Uni-Solar filed for bankruptcy so I assume this product isn't being made any more? Is that the case? If so, where did it all go wrong?

Asked By F W | Apr 10 14

I have seen a few discussions about insulating cathedral ceilings but none that relate to the method that I had in mind for my 24' cathedral here in Vermont.
* Penetrating water sealer on all surfaces that have the potential to rot.
* One inch strapping to create an air gap for ventilation.
* Multiple overlapping layers of ridged foam(open or closed cell?)
* All seams taped because expansion and contraction will break a DIY spray foam seal.

Asked By Gary Spurling | Apr 11 14

Has anyone seen a review of this new HRV?

http://www.foursevenfive.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_7...

Although it is rather expensive, installation is dead easy and mechanically it is exactly what I've been waiting for for 35 years.

Consider this... when the occupants are active in the main living area, exterior doors probably get opened and closed a few times every evening bringing in significant fresh air. (This is an impossible calculation, but could be verified through measurement)

Asked By Kevin Dickson, MSME | Apr 11 14

Hi;
Saw this site form Dan Houlihan of HeatingHelp.
I have a 1917 home in Detroit, Mich that I am renovating. It has a American Thatch" or "Smurf" cedar shingle roof with an open stringer deck underneath. These must be vented on the underside to allow the shingles to dry. Currently there is no insulation. The floor that the roof encloses is livable space, but I will demo all of the plaster walls for insulation access. I have 8" rafters

Asked By Mark Reynolds | Apr 10 14

I just installed a new slab. Slab is approx 5" thick, and was set up as follows. We dug trenches and laid drain pipes in gravel, fabric wrapped, etc. On top of that another layer of crushed stone, 2" insulation and then a fully waterproof layer (Grace Pre-Pruf). On top of that poured the 5" slab.

Plan is to put down pressure treated sleepers, with t&g plywood on top and then put an engineered wood floor on top of that.

Asked By R W | Apr 11 14

I am currently looking to put forced air heating and air conditioning into my house. I am located in Long Island, NY in zone 4a, right on the border of 5a. We recently gutted the entire house down to the studs and we are replacing the whole heating system. We will be using gas heat. The contractor that I think we are going to go with is going to install a furnace in the basement for the basement and ground floor, and a furnace in the attic for the second floor. Well also have a blower in the attic for the air conditioning.

Asked By Kevin Schramm | Sep 3 13

http://www.roxul.com/products/building+envelope/roxul+afb

Looking to use Roxul stone wool batts in the ceiling area. Anyone here know about any air quality testing with these batts? Even though it will be behind 1/2" drywall, are there any issues with the fine particles from the batts or any off-gassing?

Asked By Peter L | Mar 31 14

It sounds like the makeup vents are making noise (according to my wife). Could this be due to a dirty filter starving the unit of air? Filter is 5 months old. Thank you

Asked By Kenneth Clement | Apr 9 14

Dear GBA readers,
I'm starting the process of finding a roofer who can add up to 6 inches of insulation on top of the roof. I have an unvented cathedral ceiling in the attic, with rafters filled with mineral wool. I would like to get a clearer picture of what is involved before describing my needs to prospective contractors.

Asked By Hari Kamboji | Apr 10 14