Can I reuse single-pane steel sash windows?

A client would like to restore some window openings that were bricked-over by a previous owner. The original single-pane steel sash casement windows had been stored, and are in excellent condition. The building department views these "restored" openings as "new" openings, and requires compliance with the energy code, i.e. window U-factor of 0.30 or better. (The default value for these windows is U=1.20 per Table R303.1.3.)

Asked By Robert Drucker | May 21 15

Use regular OSB or Zip Wall OSB in conjunction with 2" XPS?

My wall plan consists of:
1- fiber cement siding
2- 3/4" air gap/ 1x4 firing strips
3- 15# felt (or possibly Tyvek housewrap) for general protection of the XPS
4- 2" rigid XPS with taped seams and caulked at butt joints
5- 7/16" OSB (possibly taped Zip Wall)
6- 2x4 24OC stud wall with mineral wool or fiberglass insulation
7- 1/2" drywall sealed at top and bottom and around device boxes and penetrations

Asked By Nathan Mogilski | May 22 15

Vinyl siding renovation

Hi

Asked By Chris Felker | May 14 15

ADA sealant recommendation please

I'd like to air seal my baseboards to my drywall and concrete slab as part of an ADA.
What would you guys use to seal wood to acrylic paint & unfinished concrete?

I picked up some GE Silicone II Gutter & Flashing which says it sticks to wood and concrete, but was wondering if there was a better choice.

Thanks for your help,
-Richard

Asked By Richard Baumgarten | May 21 15

Interesting SIP alternative

Came across this site EZ Sip (http://structuralinsulatedpanels.com/).

My original retirement house plan was the standard 2x6 wall framing, Roxul batt interior, with 1/2" ply exterior wall then 2" of Roxul then the furring strips with appropriate siding.

After seeing this concept and the associated savings in construction time, I am now in a bit of a quandary. Method does seem to meet interior and exterior insulation values, as well as issues of stud bleed through. Having ply on out side resolves potential accumulation of moisture due to dew point issues.

Asked By William Oldaker | May 19 15

Guidance for designing and building a low-lifetime-cost home in North Texas

My wife and I want to build (or buy) an energy efficient home in North Texas sometime in the next 5 years. We are not strongly attached to certifications, R-value-comparison-contests, or even a particular style of home. We just want to build something cost-effective that we can live in for the next 40 years without having to maintain high-income jobs to pay for the utility bills and mortgage. I have been doing a lot of research, but I wanted to get some expert opinions to help guide me in the right direction.

Asked By Chase Johnson | May 16 15

Does this kneewall plan make sense?

I am in a 1915 Bungalow with sloping ceilings in each of four closets upstairs. I haven't demo'd yet, but I can guess what I'll find in terms of open joist cavities, etc.

My original plan was to demo the knee wall and spray foam the ceiling slope all the way down to the eave, but I just can't afford spray foam. So my tentative plan is to create an unconditioned kneewall area that can be used for storage.

Something about my plan seems a bit off, I'm wondering if I'm missing something big here.

I drew up a plan, I hope it shows up as an attachment.

Asked By Adam Sick | May 20 15

Inductive cooktops and peak electric loads

I've been reading Dana's explanations at GBA that peak electric loads are the primary reason for the total electricity capacity required of any given utility. I understand that devices like electric point of use water heaters will easily drive higher those peak electricity requirements for the grid infrastructure. What about inductive cooktops? My understanding, which is limited, is that they have a much higher peak electricity requirement than standard electric ranges.

Asked By Eric Habegger | May 19 15

Affordable Cold Climate

Does any one care to "Challenge" Building America?

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/case-studies/cs-ma-westford-hfh

Is there a "greener" and user friendly way to provide
An Affordable 3 bedoom 2 bath Home for a Cold Climate?

Optional Hint ... the 2nd floor can be re-arranged

Asked By John Brooks N.Texas Zone 3a | Jan 12 11