It's 2015 and they still build like this...

Brand new build going up in Phoenix, AZ. What you see is completely 100% framed and ready for stucco. The missing OSB sheathing is done on purpose. They do "open framing" and only use sheathing where required. The rest is open 2x4 framing.

They will stuff R-13 batts within the 2x4 walls, staple on some building paper and then put 1" of rigid EPS on the outside and use conventional stucco to finish it off.

A recent blower door test on a home like this showed 15 air changes per hour.

ALL of the duct work and air handlers are installed in the 150F unconditioned attic.

Asked By Peter L | Jul 1 15

Wet cellulose blown-in insulation — is mold a concern?

I am building a house in Kansas City, MO. The brick contractor did not flash the windows properly and the cellulose blown in insulation has taken on some water. Moisture readings in the walls are 25%-35% with a normal of 15%. Windows are being flashed properly to prevent future water leaks. Will there be a mold problem with the cellulose blown in insulation or does all of the wet areas need to be removed and reinsulated with dry insulation?

Asked By Stevee Busser | Jul 25 15

Housewrap on the gable (non-living attic walls) or not?

My framer will not put Tyvek, house wrap on an gable wall where there is no conditioned air. (non living space above the house. I have found proper attic sealing, venting, insolated articles to back this and to dispute it. Please advise.

Asked By william trent | Jul 26 15

Another solar pumping question

Hey there,
I would like to use solar power to pump around 10.000 L of water/day from a well into a reservoir that I could use for gravity fed irrigation via a drip system. Please give me your thoughts on this, I would like to know if it's doable. I'm a newbie so please bare with me if I ask something outrageous
The specs on the pump:
At 45 volts DC the peak efficiency point is 18 GPM at 45 feet of head..
Max Current: 8.5 Amps
Max Power: 380 Watts
My question is:
Is it possible to run this pump directly from solar panels with an LCB? Would 2 x 250W panels wired in series do the job?

Asked By lee alice | Jul 24 15

Kerdi shower system vs. concrete board

Builder recommends the Kerdi shower system applied over the dry wall and that's what the local tile people use too.

One of the bids from an out of town tiler, who works on high ends houses, recommended cement board instead of dry wall?

This is in regards to the shower area in the bathrooms.

Please advice

Thanks

Asked By Yasir Khan | Jul 25 15

Best practice/advice- Three insulation assemblies

I need guidance/advice on insulating three separate assemblies as I finish the space on the 2nd floor of our 1952 Cape Cod.

The space: Total 2nd floor square footage equals 960- all conditioned space
No dormers on the front, single shed dormer spans nearly the entire backside of the house.
Williamsburg VA- Climate Zone 4A- more hot & humid than you might imagine.

Here is what we are starting with:

1. Exterior wall on either end (facing North & South) is constructed as follows- Brick, 1" airspace, #15 felt, 1/2" insulating (asbestos?) sheathing, 2x4 studs

Asked By Chris Kolloff | Jul 24 15

Will minisplits work in all floor plans?

I'm researching the details of building a new house in central KY, zone 4a. This will be the house that lasts for the rest of our lives (hopefully 50+ more years). I had assumed that GSHP were the "no-brainer" HVAC choice, but from the looks of things, it isn't that simple. I've been reading some amazing things about the potential of mini split systems.

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Jul 20 15

How can I upgrade the insulation in my walls?

Walls in my mobile home only have R-10
All values:
walls U .097 R-10.3
ceiling U .038 R-26.3
Floor U .048 R-20.8

I live in a mobile home designed for New Orleans (Katrina, FEMA trailer) yet I live in northeast Maryland (Elkton, MD). The minimum for new construction (based on my zip code) is R-13 and EnergyStar dictates R-20 (15 cavity + 5 sheathing).

Asked By Vincent Dipietro | Jul 20 15

I was interested in Air Krete and wonder how good a product it is to have injected inside my exterior walls from outside

I have a 1960s home without much insulation and at first thought some foam might be good. Now

I hear about Air Krete which claims to be a soft and better injected insulation.

Can I get anyone with experience in using this on an older home or any details about its pros and

cons?

Anything about what or whether it is a good material to fill the exterior walls of my home.

Thank you for any information. I don't know anyone to contact.

Tom Mc

Asked By Tom McAuliffe | Jul 24 15

Cut-and-cobble polyiso, then spray foam?

Hello everyone,

Asked By Jason Hood | Jun 28 15