Minisplit design in new construction

Hello, I am in the process of designing my new home build. I have decided on a full ICF house with a goal of high energy efficiency. The house is 2300 sq ft main level living with a 2300 sq ft walkout basement. The home is ranch style 64x36 located in Colorado (Zone 5). I am currently having some hurdles with my HVAC system. I like the idea of doing mini splits in the main level with hydronic radiant heat in the basement slab. The manual J calculations I have done show 19k btu/h for the upstairs and 13k btu/hr for the basement.

Asked By Kyler Massey | Apr 27 16

Insulating existing slab on grade - need for sleepers?

After completing a strategy for insulating my slab-on-grade floor (which sits on sand ONLY) as part of a major building renovation in Zone 5a, I discovered the GBA construction detail for the same situation here: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/cad/detail/treated-2x4-sleepers-two-...

The GBA solution calls for treated lumber sleepers in each layer of insulation.
a) Given the high compressive strength of XPS, what purpose is served by the sleepers?

Asked By Dean McCracken | Apr 20 16

HRV intake below grade?

Is there any benefit to running X amount of pipe below frost grade to pre-heat/ cool intake air to an HRV? Would this not increase the operating performance of the HRV?
Kris

Asked By Kris Currie | Apr 26 16

What do you think about Mylar-wrapped Styrofoam board for a housewrap / thermal barrier and radiant barrier?

I would like to know if there is any reason this material might either cause a problem with the envelope or if it will be effective as and radiant barrier (both directions) or not.

Asked By Mickey Thompson | Apr 27 16

Closed-cell foam, unvented ceiling, and vapor barrier

This is a follow up to a previous question: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/general-questions/54...

Roof is 2:12 slope with metal standing seam over 5/8" decking. The joists ends have been blocked, sealed and wrapped.

I now have 2" of poly-iso, above roof decking, which according to this chart (http://www.weatherbondroofing.com/?page=ecomm&p=view&cid=1002&cn=XPPolyiso) gives us averaged R value of 11.4.

The overall target R value for the roof assembly is R49.

Asked By Eric Schmidt | Mar 3 16

How best to insulate in DFW area (zone 3) - new construction

Hey guys,

Asked By Shawn Tucker | Apr 25 16

Moisture control dilemma: DIY walk-in cooler

I'm helping a great non-profit (www.nourishnc.org) create an 8'X8' DIY walk-in cooler in an unconditioned warehouse. Plans include: 2x6 construction, R23 Roxul insul, wrapping the exterior of cube in Grace Ice and Water Shield, and a really nice, donated commercial refrigerator door. Interior is FRP (fiberglass reinforced panels) glued to 1/2" OSB. Temperature of 35-40 deg F will be managed with a 12K BTU window a/c controlled by a "CoolBot". http://storeitcold.com/

Question:

Asked By Karl Kaminski | Apr 26 16

Is this wall assembly okay?

I live in upstate SC in climate zone 3. It would be more like 3.5 if such existed. I'm about to build a house and the wall assembly I want to use is slightly different than examples that I have seen and I'm concerned about drying/dew point.

I plan to use 2x4 wall construction, wrap it with 2" of rigid Roxul abd 1/2" Zip sheathing with a brick veneer. My thinking is I have a standard 6 9/16" window/jamb width but I have also killed the thermal bridging.

Asked By Chip Radford | Apr 26 16

Hip ceiling, kneewall insulation help

Greetings,

First off thanks for the extremely informative site. I'm picking up lots of information, but looking for advice.

I have a 1930 Bungalow, Zone 5 (coastal Massachusetts). Vented roof with 8/12 pitch, asphalt shingles (good condition), felt and plank sheathing, 2x6 rafters.

Asked By Ryan Silva | Apr 26 16

Double walls, dense packing, and bendy sheathing

Many articles on double stud walls suggest fiberboard or gypsum as the exterior sheathing to prevent winter moisture issues. Given that thick walls require higher cellulose density, what tricks are there to keep the sheathing from bulging?

--John

Zone 5, Rochester NY

Asked By John Ranson | Apr 25 16