How to utilize cool basement / crawl space air to help cool the house?

I have a house on a hillside about 1300 sq. feet with a walk in basement/crawlspace under the entire house. I am located in Atascadero, CA 93422, which has hot, low humidity days in the summer but cools off rapidly in the evening. It is extremely rare that I need cooling in the evenings.

Asked By Cuj Monguy | Oct 16 17

Sauna inside home

I was in a home earlier this summer where the homeowner had decided to put a sauna on the second story of his home. The home was new construction with the homeowner acting as the general contractor, and is located in zone 7, less than 100 miles from the Canadian border, and is in a rural location with no inspections. Construction is code minimum 2 x 6 framing with osb sheathing, R-21 fiberglass bat and class 1 poly vapor barrier, house wrap and smart siding. No rain screen. The vented attic was not insulated when I was there, but will most likely be R-49 blown fiberglass.

Asked By Randy Williams | Oct 17 17

I have a problem with humidity management during winter in my off-grid secondary home

When we get there the air inside can be as low as -20C so when we go back all the humidity we produced is collecting-condesing on the vapor barrier (Isofoil).

The building is 3 years old and was built quite tight by myself. 2 floors, 28x32, heat source wood stove only.

Asked By Pierre Levasseur | Oct 15 17

Swedish platform framing and other non-conventional framing practices

I'm in early stages of planning my new home and I want to build using swedish platform framing priniciples as described in the "new american wall" articles on this site and the lamidesign site.

I'm curious, for anyone who has built with this framing method or other non-conventional framing practices, what additional challenges did you face with respect to plan approval and framing inspection, and how did you overcome them?

Any and all words of wisdom are welcome!

Best,
Steve

Asked By user-6919167 | Oct 16 17

Insulating a wall

Hi, I live in Toronto.Canada
Situation: I have a garage attached to my house. The wall that separates the garage to the living room, I removed the drywall and all the kraft faced insulation between the studs. The drywall on the living room side I don't want to remove because I installed laminate on the wall with a fireplace. How would I insulate this wall from the garage side? I was thinking of installing 3.5" of rigid xps inbetween the studs then re drywalling. Thank you

Asked By Vernon Mcconnell | Oct 16 17

Mini-split for Phoenix, AZ Duplex?

Hello everybody,

I'm Ben and I'm new to GBA. Well, I've been reading lots of articles here and searching the Q&A, but this is my first post.

I recently purchased a duplex in downtown Phoenix, Arizona. It needs pretty much a total rehab. Most of the flooring needs to be replaced due to water and/or termite damage. This gives me the opportunity to seal the crawlspace if I want. Luckily, the exterior walls are all concrete block, so no terminte damage there.

Asked By Ben | Oct 7 17

Capillary break sprayed on to footer

We are pouring footers next week and have to make a decision on how to provide a capillary break between footer and foundation wall. Specs in our contract builder call for a liquid applied product to be used, with a $250 allowance for that. The idea was to apply it before drilling in the rebar, then to patch as necessary after rebar is in place.

Now my builder is suggesting that we could instead have the waterproofing contractor spray Tremco Tuff n Dri on the footer after the rebar is in place. He would do this for $250, so it's within budget.

Asked By William Costello | Oct 14 17

Radon fan causing increased humidity

Thanks everyone on the feedback concerning humidity and attic insulation. I have discovered the problem. After documenting the temp and RH in both the house and crawl space, I have discovered the Radon Fan is somehow bringing humidity ( outdoor air) into the building envelope. i noted the RH and temp in both the crawl and home with the radon fan running-and I did it in the evening hours so the HVAC or outdoor temps would not alter the findings- but the dedicated dehumidifier in the crawl continued to run. So here we go:

Asked By Hotandhumid | Oct 11 17

I have some questions regarding insulating the roof of a detached garage

It is fairly recent construction and currently not insulated. Truss roof with 2x6 top chords 24" o.c. First floor will be used as a workshop and second floor for storage.

Planning on conditioning the space with a heat pump for heating and cooling. Located in upstate New York.

Would like to insulate the ceiling using a "cut and cobble" approach. Have done a good amount of research here and elsewhere and think I have a strategy that I'm comfortable with but would like to get some input as I haven't seen my specific scenario discussed.

Asked By Theodore Shaw | Oct 10 17

2,700 sq/ft house climate zone 6 R20-R27-R40-R70 7,300 HDD -1 Design temp...minisplit sizing and zones?

First of all thank you all of have contributed to this website. I've researched a lot and it's provided valuable insight. I'm designing my house right now. 2x6 framing with zip sheathing as the primary air barrier and 4" exterior polyiso R42. Basement walls will be 2" polyiso with 3.5" roxul R27 (should I increase this?. Slab 4" XPS R20, and attic R70-blown in with poly as the air barrier. The plans show sliding windows and sliding doors but everything will be single doors and awning/casement/fixed.

Asked By user-6925805 | Sep 27 17