Closed cell spray foam under roofing

Can one apply closed cell spray on insulation directly to the underside of roofing sheeting to which asphalt shingles are nailed to create a cathedral ceiling? I am looking to create a heated loft above a garage with a gambrel roof.

Asked By Terry Kittle | Jan 16 12

Bathroom Wall Assembly

I'm planning to renovate an existing bathroom. I'm located in central MA (zone 5).

It's a 5' x 8' room that will have a tub/shower along the 5' wall, which is the exterior wall. All plumbing will be contained within the 8' interior partition wall which separates the bathroom from the kitchen. Exterior walls are 2x4, fiberglass batts, plywood sheathing, tyvek and wood shakes.

Asked By Christopher Burgoyne | Jan 16 12

Best system for foundation waterproofing and insulating

Local contractors in central OH (zone 5) are either applying a product such as Delta MS (dimpled mat) outside of the poured wall foundation for waterproofing and then applying blanket insulation on the inside of the wall in the basement ... their thought being that once wet, the R-value of an exterior insulating product is severely reduced. Others are applying a damp proofing membrane such as Tremco Tuff-N-Dri to the exterior of the poured wall foundation followed by Tremco's Warm-N-Dri 2 3/8" R-10 foundation board (rigid fiberglass product). Which is the better method?

Asked By Milan Jurich | Jan 14 12

How to choose the right replacement windows

I have two very large windows on the south side of my house, 1-98"x72" and 1-121"x72". Both windows are covered by overhang porches but do have sun directly on them certain times of the year. I live in central Oklahoma where it gets really hot in the summer and fairly cold in the winter. I have found some replacement windows that have a u factor:0.31 and a shgc: 0.28 and I am needing to know if this is the best choice for the region I live in. I would appreciate any and all help, thanks.

Asked By stuart Osborn | Jan 14 12

HRVs tied into Forced Air Systems

My understanding is that HRVs should have dedicated ductwork sized specifically for lower ventilation flows. The system should also be balanced and commissioned.

Asked By j chesnut | Jan 14 12

Correcting a thermal bridge

I'm building a house in zone 6a, Central NH. My plan is to wrap the house with 2 layers of eps totaling 4.5 inches with the joints staggered. The framing is 2x4 and no interior vapor barrier will be used. I was planning to add 3.5" of fiberglass to the cavities.I'm using DuPont drainwrap over OSB with the joints and stud lines taped with zip tape. The foam will be furred vertically with 3/4" boards to ventilate behind the siding.

Asked By Nate Weiner | Jan 13 12

Jevons' Paradox debunked

We provide new statistical evidence to show that energy efficiency policies and programs can reliably cut energy use—a finding that is consistent with the policy stance of leading experts and organizations like the US Energy Information Agency (EIA) and the World Bank. (link)

Asked By Andrew Henry | Jan 12 12

Does moisture get trapped in the roof insulation?

I read the building science insight "Leiningen Versus The Ants Redux" by Joseph W. Lstiburek with great interest. I plan to build a workshop in upstate NY (zone 5+) using a similar approach. This seems very similar to the PERSIST method discussed in Martin Holladay's article "Getting Insulation Out of Your Walls and Ceilings".

But the details are tricky, as Joe learned with his barn. In Figure 1, Joe shows fully adhered membrane on top of the under-roof sheathing, on top of the roof insulation, and on top of the over-roof sheathing.

Asked By Clement B. Edgar III | Jan 13 12

Advice on proposed zone 6 wall assembly

We are building a cape in zone 6, Waldoboro Maine. I am considering the following wall assembly and have several questions regarding the components. Forgive the length of this, but I don't know how to make this any briefer.

Asked By tom ruben | Jan 13 12

Existing brick veneer wall Zone 4A

What is the effective strategy for increasing the R-value for an existing brick veneer wall over 1" airspace over 1/2" fiberboard sheathing(w/o WRB) over 2x4 studs with old not full depth fiberglass insulation between and plaster over gypsum lath finish? Given the generally excellent condition of the interior plaster I am unwilling to remove and re-insulate. Can a spray foam be used in the airspace injected from the exterior?

Asked By Peter Anderson | Jan 12 12