Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions. The usual rules of courtesy apply: 1. Be nice. 2. If you can't be nice, be polite. 3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief. To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled "More explanation," look for the words "File attachments." Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo. Thanks for joining the conversation!

I have a ~1100 Sq foot ranch with a ~200 sq. foot addition on the back. The house proper has a full basement below it, but the addition has a dirt floor crawlspace below it. Access to the crawlspace is through a small plywood "door" accessed from outside.

Asked By Matt Boutet | Dec 20 11

Hello Folks,

I'm in the process of building a 24' by 30' combination artist's space and workshop in a new post frame building. An 18' x 24' loft creates the second floor. There's a lot of detail on the building here
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/21284/patricks-barn-siding-is-just-...

Asked By Patrick McCombe | Dec 20 11

I questioned in a previous thread if a bathroom exhaust fan could suffice for exchanging air in a tiny, but well-insulated and tight 250 square foot dwelling.

Someone confirmed, given the small space, that it should be fine and to put it on a timer as it wouldn't need to be constantly on.

Another said: "assuming that the fan on a timer needs to be cycled on and off frequently (for example, every other 5min interval) during occupancy, to compensate for lack of low-enough cfm settings, how significant of an effect on power draw do those frequent start-ups have?"

Asked By Kim Kies | Dec 20 11

I'm planning on building a tiny mobile home a little less than 300 square feet total. I live in Northern WI and want better insulation and better building materials and designs than the manufactured homes. I also need some of common building chemicals out of my home.

Asked By Kim Kies | Dec 20 11

G'Afternoon! I am a residential designer in Salt Lake City, Utah and after a year of researching sites as FineHomebuilding, GreenBuildingAdvisor & Bldg Science Corp & debating with a client over the pros & cons of various wall envelope options, my client and I have reached the following decision regarding exterior envelope: 9 ft extr walls are 2x6 wood stud at 24" o.c. with spray-in fiberglass cavity insulation/DOW Brand 1" Structural Insulated Sheathing w taped seams/Stucco Finish. Btm & Top plates caulked/sealed & all penetrations foam-sealed. Expected wall R-Value approx 25.

Asked By Timothy Smith | Dec 19 11

I know a homeowner who runs the fan on his Ruud UBHC-17J11NFD air handler (2.5 ton heat pump) continuously in the summer to help keep the temperature a bit more consistent between the upstairs and downstairs, so he figures swapping the OEM PSC fan motor for an ECM motor, such as the Evergreen, might pay for itself.

The Evergreen mfr/distributor says the following:

Asked By charles CAMPBELL | May 11 11

Hello All! I have recently inspected a house that has had a basement renovation completed. The basement was finished with a secondary wall built adjacent to the original foundation/pony wall.
The foundation wall is covered in EPS insulation and appears well detailed with tape and spray foam, as well as being well sealed to the bottom plate of the interior wall and pony wall. The wood framed pony wall has Roxul batt insulation in it. The secondary 2x4 interior wall has nothing in it.

Asked By Michael Melo | Dec 15 11

I have an existing conditioned space addition that was built on concrete piers in a zone 5, New England climate. The floor structure was insulated with fiberglass and covered with OSB.

The OSB is rotting and the fiberglass insulation is black. All of that material is being removed. What sheathing and insulation materials would you recommend as replacements in this totally exposed floor?

Asked By Ken Shaknites | Dec 19 11

Please take a minute to watch this video to the end before you do your next purchase... and then forward to all you know in the industry.
Let's help our industry and our jobs!!!
http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/0_04vzdsr5/uiconf_id/559...

Asked By Armando Cobo | Dec 19 11

I built a new house in a suburb of Chicago this past spring and moved in, in August. I had Icynene sprayed in the walls and Gaco firestop 550 on the underside of the roof . Now that we have had some cold weather under 30 degrees I am seeeing moisture dripping from some spots on my exterior soffits and fascia. I had the insulator back to look in the attic, it looks like it was sprayed well and we can't see any areas missing insulation. Any ideas, could humidity be able to pass through the Gaco insulation? Any ideas?

Asked By Mike Thornton | Dec 16 11