I have read as many articles on this site as I can on the best methods for stucco and have learned a lot - like staying away from OSB if possible under the stucco...

With that in mind I would like to ask a few questions and make sure I understand the best methods and options available.

Details are as follows: Exterior Plywood Sheeting installed over 2x6 wood frame - interior insulation TBD - Zone 3 Marine moderate - heating climate - no cooling, decent rain exposure and some wind driven rain.

Asked By Monty Worthington | Jul 7 11

There was a question about electric radiant floor heat mats several days ago. I've seen a product called Step Warm Floor that uses a graphite based strip and runs on low voltage electric that the manufacturer claims is much more efficient - they suggest is one of the most efficient heating methods around. It also costs about 4 times as much as the normal voltage electric mats. I'm no expert on electric theory so can't tell from the numbers if this would really work as advertised. Does this product have a track record of verified use? Any experience among participants here at GBA? Thanks.

Asked By Donald Lintner | Feb 15 10

Chris Briley, one of the Maine architects who hosts GBA's Green Architects' Lounge podcast series, was recently interviewed for an article published on the Mother Nature Network website.

Here's the link: Chris Briley: Green architect, big thinker.

Asked By Martin Holladay | Jul 7 11

I am building in Kansas City, MO and plan to use the "Perfect Wall" concept of 2x6 walls with Icynene and 1.5" of rigid foam on the exterior. I have not seen agreement on how to handle the window and door flashings. For instance, should the window flanges go over the foam at the window openings or should you line the window openings with a 2x4 so the window can be mounted into a solid piece of wood? This would provide a more stable connection, but negates the benefit of the thermal bridging provided by the foam.

Asked By Andrew Homoly | Jul 5 11

Is there an exhaust attic fan readily available on the market that trips on in a mixed humid climate when the temperature gets hlgh enough to create attic humidity in a situation where soffit vents aren't possible?

Don't want to suck out air in the winter, only when we need to remove humidity. Thanks

Asked By Rick Jenkins | Jul 6 11

We just completed a major renovation of a house in CT that involved adding living space in the attic. The cathedral ceilings with dormers all have 8" (approximate average in 2x10 rafters) open cell foam. Underside of rafters are drywalled and taped without paint and T&G wood bead board painted on both sides is installed for the finished ceiling. The problem is with the bead board expanding and buckling. From the construction photos I noticed that the 2x blocking to close off the rafter bays from the eaves were not installed.

Asked By Michael Godfrey | Jul 6 11

I am building a house using double 2x4" wall construction. I would like to avoid using rigid foam insulation at the exterior if possible. I was contemplating using a 3/4" Temple-Inland structural fiberboard, Tyvek, and a 3/8" rainscreen. The fiber board has a perm rating of 15 or so. With a vapor barrier paint at interior and dense pack cellulose 12" thick this wall would dry to interior and exterior. I live in Madison WI. According to the 2007 IRC this works in zone 6. The only thermal bridging that is designed into it is a 3/4" plywood top plate and at windows and doors.

Asked By Sam Breidenbach | Jul 5 11

Hi I am in Toronto and would like to use SIP panels from RAYCORE
Anyone have experience with this product?

Asked By reiner hoyer | Jul 4 11

Hi folks,

Steve from northern VT. I want to double-check things. We're about to do a slab over 1 1/2 crushed bedding. We plan to use StegoWrap 15mil as the vapor barrier, with taped joints. And, 2" blue rigid insulation under the slab. Slab will be 4" 4,000 psi, reinforced, over 10x10 wire mesh.

Two questions:

1. the proposed layering (from bottom upward) is: crushed stone, StegoWrap, blueboard, wire mesh. Correct?

Asked By Stephen Mattera | Jul 5 11

I plan to build a home with 1.5" exterior rigid foam insulation and Hardie lap siding. Should I use furring strips to create "the gap" or just nail the Hardie siding directly through the foam? If furring strips are the answer, what specific material should be used for these strips?

Asked By Andrew Homoly | Jul 5 11