Does anyone have a recommendation on the most reliable, well built, direct-vent energy-efficient propane fireplace?

Would appreciate any brand suggestions.

Asked By Mona Lydon-Rochelle | Apr 2 12

Installing windows in an out-of-plumb wall

I'm trying to decide how to install windows -- nail flange or block frame -- in a wall that is out of plumb. The windows should be installed to be true in the vertical plane so that they work well, of course, but doing that means that the bottom of some windows would be as much as 1" out of plane from the top. The walls slope outward so it's the bottom that would need to be shimmed or padded.

Has anyone dealt with this problem successfully? The way the house has been remodeled means that correcting the slope of the walls is not an option.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Asked By Jonathan Bean | Apr 1 12

Solar Bottle Lights in The Philippines

Cool re-use for plastic bottles. Also makes me appreciate even more how well off we are....

http://youtu.be/SBWi3NtND68

Asked By Bill Costain | Apr 1 12

Bathroom Heaters - Are They Simply an Indulgence?

I've recently mentioned in a couple threads that I'll finally be breaking ground this coming fall for a new home in Maine, which will be relatively small (1,214 sq ft over a basement,) very well insulated and as airtight as possible. I'm not taking it as far as a Passivhaus for a number of reasons, but that's another thread.

Asked By Litawyn Eco-Cottage | Feb 4 12

Sustainable Community

The Uros people, who live on Lake Titicaca (Peru), have always lived as a sustainable community, dating back to the Inca civilization. They not only make their homes out of Totora reeds on floating islands, but also use the reeds for food, fuel and material to build their boats.
What I find interesting is that they now use solar panels to power their TVs and cellular phones. Does that mean they have the best of both worlds?

Asked By Armando Cobo | Apr 1 12

Wood Basement exterior treatment

I have a cabin with a wood basement. This crawl space is about 3 feet high on the outside. It was treated with something which is black in colour but doesn't look or smell like tar. It is all treated wood of course but the c oaring is weathering off and I would like to apply something. Can you make any recommendations.

Asked By Robert Rink | Mar 29 12

The USGBC has gone too Far this time!

I never did trust the USGBC

Just look what they have done now!
http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/52580/U...

Asked By John Brooks | Apr 1 12

Heat sink to absorb heat from asphalt shingles (sealed attic)?

Creating sealed attic would prefer to avoid a vented nailed assembly etc. above deck and at same time find a way to use all that heat that the asphalt shingles absorb which shortens their life even more with a sealed attic.

So supposed there was some kind of thin mesh (or foil?) to put between the shingles and underlayment that would connect to one or two conduits that could divert heat away and maybe even be somehow connected to the domestic hot water system. Seems like those 170 degree summer peak shingle temps could be harnessed. (??)

Asked By David Goldman | Mar 31 12

Can you apply spray polyurethane foam over mold in a cathedral ceiling?

I am renovating my second floor bedrooms and plan to apply spray foam to the 2x6 ceilings (cathedral). The old batt and baffle system was not installed properly and there is some mold in the sheathing and the 2x6's. I've read that the heat generated from the spray foam kills the mold.

Thoughts?

Asked By Jim Rogers | Mar 29 12

Dow SIS (Structural Insulated Sheathing) provide structural stability?

Does anyone have field performance data/experience with the Dow SIS (Structural Insulated Sheathing) product as it relates to lateral stability and transverse load? I've read the ICC reports but continue to be skeptical. Concerned about house creaking and racking, especially in high wind conditions.

Asked By DENNIS MCKENNA | Mar 24 12