How to fix shoddy garage addition?

This past summer I bought a house in SE Michigan (Zone 5a) that was built in 1978; we had an energy audit done and the auditor alerted me to a host of issues included that when they built out into the garage to expand the kitchen & laundry room they left the top of the walls and ceiling open to the unheated garage.

My question is what is the best way to go about fixing this issue from a cost standpoint. I'm concerned if I just seal the top off the wall with XPS & Great Stuff that condensation will collect since there will be colder air inside the wall from the uninstalled garage.

Asked By Patrick B | Feb 6 16

Fireplace insert or glass doors + outside air intake?

I have a rather large fireplace that can clear the house of all heat, so I am never really using it. Would be nice to make it functional source of heat and have it as a backup for those times in winter we lose power or when minisplits can't cover entire heating load.

Question: do I have to go the expensive fireplace insert + outside air supply route, or going with the proper glass doors + outside air supply would give me good return on investment?

Asked By Apollo S | Feb 6 16

Concrete sealer needed before finishing basement?

I live in a home in Zone 5a that was built in 1978 with a poured concrete basement, our house sits relatively high with ground sloping away from the foundation. We are planning on finishing out basement it with XPS and then metal framing/drywall.

Asked By Patrick B | Feb 6 16

Does plywood flooring have to be removed before adding insulation?

My attic currently has a settled 8" of blow in insulation. I am adding more batts at an R-30 value. Previous owners installed plywood on joists for storage and nailed it every 6". Can the batts I'm addind be placed over plywood or must it be removed?

Asked By Dan Dadario | Feb 6 16

Final advice on insulating a basement correctly

Hi I’ve read the great articles here on how to insulate the basement correctly - I just want to make sure I'm going to do the work right and I trust the folks at GBA

Overview

• Southern exposure home – south has 2x6 pt walls with a few windows and doors (basement level)
• North has an 8ft concrete wall that behaves like a huge cooler – it also has a 24inch 2x6 pt wall on top of that, so the basement ceiling height is 10ft.
• In the worst heat in summer 90 degrees + the basement is extremely cool with the windows closed – just like air conditioning

Asked By Robert Metelsky | Aug 4 15

Roxul comfort board in basement?

I spoke to someone at the Roxul company the other day who recommended the following basement insulation. First, tyvek or similar against the concrete basement wall, then 1 1/4 " roxul comfort board for a thermal break, then a stud wall filled with roxul batts--- sheetrock. Do you see a real problem with water condensing on the concrete with the comfort board and tyvek there? Still seems like too much work but I am curious performance wise.

Asked By Nyle Phillips | Sep 27 12

Minisplit Location Feasibility

I'm looking at possibly installing minisplits in my home to replace the hydronic floor heat and forced air system without having to remove my slab to insulate the current floor heat system. The current forced air is the R4 (I believe) pre-insulated flexible ducts in a vented attic. I figure the minisplits could greatly increase my heating and cooling efficiency.

Asked By Mike M | Feb 6 16

Hydronic Radiant Floor Heating Under Thick Slab

Hi All,
I have a timber framed house, the sub-floor of which was built with thick 2-in pine tongue and groove boards. This subfloor is also functioning as the main floor of the house in living room area, there is nothing on top of them. These boards have tons of character and I would like to keep them as the main floor.

I am renovating the down stairs and will be converting my hydronic base board heat to radiant floor in the kitchen and bathroom where I can run the pipes over the existing subfloor (plywood in these areas not the tongue and groove pine).

Asked By Ryan Wynne | Feb 4 16

Capillary Break Needed?

I am about to start installing 1” of Roxul Drainboard on the exterior of my foundation and have plans to bring it up to my siding. The siding sticks out 1” and the Roxul is 1” thick, do I need to leave a gap between the Roxul and Vinyl siding or add some sort of break between them to keep the Roxul from wicking up water to the siding with the potential to hit the sheathing?

Thanks

Asked By Chris King | Feb 4 16

Heat pump sizing

Asked By matthias paustian | Feb 4 16