How do I improve R Value and change to metal on my roof?

I have an older Pan-Abode home that has cathderal ceilings with minimal roof R Value. I would like to increase the R Value and lay metal roof over shingles. Does anyone have insight on the best way to do this?

Asked By Laurence Bishop | May 8 12

Zip or Rigid Foam or Both (& HVAC)

Hello - we are building in Cincinnati (4800 sq ft). Our builder is a fiberglass batt person with no exposure to any of the techniques on the forum, but he's willing to try new things.

The house will be a 2x6 construction with 10ft first and 9 ft second. We have 2 questions:

Asked By Guy Hocker | May 8 12

Exterior foam decision — IRC table 601.3.1 — and housewrap over foam

I am building an attached 3-car irregular shaped heated garage and trying to make it energy efficient but not break the bank. Some last minute roof changes during framing have made the attic area of garage usable space which will become a bedroom some day

I did a 4' ICF foundation because I want to heat the slab (partially by solar panels someday) there is 5" of high density EPS under the slab (craigslist bargain)
2x6 walls were necessary so the exterior walls would bear more on concrete rather than ICF foam.

Asked By tom fraser | Apr 12 12

Styrene and EPS/XPS rigid foam insulation

I just saw a report last night on ABC World news where they indicated that scientists have added Styrene, a component of EPS and XPS rigid foam, to a list of possible human carcinogens. Does it make sense to consider it still as a good option for reducing thermal breaks in wall construction or would a better option be to lean towards double wall construction? Same for its use as a foundation perimeter and sub slab insulation ... maybe less of a concern?

Asked By Milan Jurich | Jun 11 11

What is the smartest way to insulate a finished attic?

Hi. I am a newby on this site and am looking for advice on how to correctly insulate the living space in my attic.

I believe in a vented roof so I vented the rafter bays with 1" Dow Tuff R rigid insulation spaced 2" off the underside of the roof sheathing. It is sealed all the way down to the floor and it ends about 6 inches above the collar ties. I sealed all the edges with foam and I taped all the seams.

The rafters are 2x10 and the collar ties are 2x8. I live in northern New Jersey in IECC zone 4. The rigid insulation is R6.5.

Asked By Randy Aubrecht | May 7 12

Are there concerns with having a fireplace in a home with spray foam insulation?

I'm building a home in southeast Alabama, and the general contractor mentioned that there are concerns about installing a fireplace in a home that is insulated with spray foam insulation. I haven't located any data on this topic; can anyone shed some light on this or point to a source for information?

Thanks.

Asked By George Tarbox | May 7 12

Replacement windows

Older brick home in Virginia beach, Va. It has aluminium slider casement windows.

Removed old window. I found the wood rot around window frame, brick bottom and brick sides.

What should I do? Also, on the outside, the window sill is sloped toward the house as per a level.

I have pictures of this. Thank you.

Asked By Paul Dobin | May 8 12

How is that a material can be both airtight and vapor permeable?

Can anyone point me to an answer that explains the physics? Obviously to be vapor permeable a material must have penetrations that are bigger than vapor molecules; why doesn’t air, driven by an air pressure differential, flow through the same holes? I’ve heard it said that the pores are big enough for H2O molecules but too small for O2; is that it? Or is it simply that the rate of air leakage is too low to matter given the grosser methods used to measure air leakage compared to vapor diffusion?

Asked By Hayden Robinson | May 4 12

Blower door test

I am new to the field. I just took my brand new blower door out of the box and ran my first test though tectite software. My official training is at the end of the month sooo until then I need some help interpreting the results. From what I understand my house "scored" fairly well. 550 on ring B for the depressurization and 650 on the pressurization. The results sheet also showed 18.6 CFM and .14 ACH on depress. and 20.9 CFM and .16 ACH on pressure. I did not close off any exhaust fans, return registers because nothing that I have seen/read said anything about that.

Asked By Matt Edwards | May 5 12

Airstream renovation

Hi, I'm helping someone renovate an airstream, which is to be a non moveable, room near their house. The house is in upstate NY, on the border between zone 5a and 6a. It's completely gutted, so it's just an aluminum can at this point. The plan is insulate it with closed cell foam, 1-1 1/2" on walls and ceiling, 3" in floor. That's all the insulation the frame will allow, unless some more extensive modifications are done. It's going to be heated in winter with a small propane heater, designed for boats.

Asked By Mark Zachelmayer | May 1 12