Repairing notched bottom plate and floor joist

I am moving a cold air return before I insulate my home and as the title suggests, I'm looking for some advice "repairing" some of the notches.

Asked By Nathan Schulte | Apr 29 15

Small spots on inside of Weathershield double pane windows with argon gas

I purchased and installed vinyl clad Weathershield windows. They are showing spots on the inside of the window panes. Has this window failed or is this the result of the argon gas failing. I notice them at the bottom few inches. I am attempting to sell my home and buyers are concerned at what might be going on. They will rely on your opinion.

thank you, Gene.

Asked By Gene Schiferl | May 1 15

Did I build my roof incorrectly?

I am the Owner/ GC for my house. I also live outside of Austin, Texas. I directed my roofer to overlay the outside OSB decking, with StormShield, an adhesive water barrier, instead of felt. On the inside of the roof, I had Open-Cell foam sprayed 6 inches thick, and sealed the inside of the attic space.
When you look at my house from the outside, it's possible to see the 'outline' of the attic area. It's as if there is a visible temperature variation apparent, from the insulated portion of the house, than from areas where the spray foam is absent (like the garage).

Asked By STEPHEN VENSKI | Apr 30 15

Sealing around fire sprinklers in cathedral ceiling

I have a vaulted, insulated, cathedral ceiling in warm California (zone 3) and code required firesprinklers for my tiny guest house (5 total). My piping and sprinkler heads are installed in the center of my 2x12 bays, which will be filled with R-38 fiberglass batts. I have another R-18 of rigid insulation above the roof sheathing. Once insulation is in place, I will install drywall. The firesprinklers have covers for them (similar to photo) with fusible links that will open in extreme temperatures.

Asked By Dan Burgoyne | Apr 29 15

Recirculating OTR range hoods & washer/dryer ventilation

I'm installing an electric range in a small house, and am considering a microwave with a built-in recirculating over the range hood (with filter). The house is very small (500 s.f.) and pretty tight, and California T-24 code requires continuous exhaust ventilation, which I plan to have in the bathroom (Panasonic WhisperGreen), but I'm afraid if I put an additional exhaust fan in, I'd have to provide ventilation in from outside. How effective are these OTR recirculating hoods?

Asked By Dan Burgoyne | Apr 28 15

Masonry walls with 2" XPS and rainscreen siding: Anyone have any experience with a fastening system?

There are plenty of resources for fastening foam insulation boards on wood frame construction, i.e fastener depth, spacing, foam thickness, etc. Does anyone have any experience with fastening to masonry construction?

I'm putting 2" of XPS on the exterior of a concrete/CMU building. WRB, 3/4" strapping and fiber cement siding on top of that. I'll fasten the XPS with Hilti IDPs. My question is on fasteners. Any ideas on spacing and embed depth into the masonry? I'm thinking tapcons 12" OC, with 2-3" embed depth, since concrete has less pull out resistance than wood.

Asked By Jonathan Saccoccio | Apr 30 15

Garage footing - 42" wall without forms?

I dug down 3' holes for 7' (8'?) long and 7" wide round fence posts with hole digger about 10 years ago. Some wave in 20' dog eared fence.

Now would like garage to go there since snow piles in there where car sits.
Have to dig out 8' posts and make nice trench for garage foundation.
(I'd like to stir my own concrete too.)
New garage will join existing garage back. So back to back facing and joining garages.
So 2 side walls I think I can manage myself.

Inspector neighbor just says go 42" down--even mortared rocks are ok.

Asked By C Darwin | Apr 29 15

Installed R-60 insulation in attic... now using AC more than before

I had R60 blown into my 1000sqft attic where there was previously only about R11. Baffles were installed in almost every roof rafter. Air sealing of attic floor was performed. This is a low pitch asphalt shingled hip roof over the whole house.

Asked By Jeff Watson | Jul 12 14

Inherited a garage foundation. Should I retrofit?

Worcester Ma area - Dampish clay soil
Building will have an insulated concrete floor in time and likely heated.

What is there - I have seen the pics and site.
footings on 11/2" stone with foundation drains to daylight
10" poured concrete - 4' tall wall
not water proofed
4'' foam both interior and exterior, sits on footing, back filled with stone/sand gravel
3' wide plastic sheet goods over the top of foundation and foam
Plastic was draped and buried both sides with 11/2" stone
Sill seal
2x10 PT top plate bolted on.

Seems in great shape - seems a good design

Asked By Howard Kelley | Apr 27 15

Insulating between chords and webs of a truss joist

I am using 16 inch truss joists in a cathedral ceiling and wondering what is the best way to insulate the spaces between the web and chords.

Was going to create a template then cut the pieces out of 1.5 inch EPS.
I was thinking that there would be not be more than an eighth difference in variance in the trusses.
I would use batt insulation for between trusses.

What about splitting Roxul to 2 inches and then cutting?
It might be easier to work with.

The spaces are quit small.
About 8 inches tapering to nothing over 4 feet.

Any suggestions?

Asked By Aaron Gatzke | Apr 28 15