Question re furring strips, XP drywall, and finishing basement over 3" of polyiso

I have used recycled roofing polyiso panels (1.5" stuff), staggered them, and going to foam the gaps where I can and use acoustic sealant ("the black death") on gaps too small for foam.

Here is a big question, I want to put furring strips horizontally and just mount drywall over that:
1. Is it OK to just go with furring strips and not build out full 2X3 or 2X4 framing. Wasn't planning to fill the gap with anything between drywall and polyiso

Asked By Apollo S | Mar 23 15

Insulating basement ceiling/first floor

I suspect this has been much discussed, so feel free to bump me over to a thread if one exists...

We have a relatively modern (1981), reasonably efficient gambrel in Maine. Full basement, concrete foundation, unfinished (used for storage and a workshop. Not heated, but gets residual heat from the oil boiler. Temp hovers between 50 and 70, depending upon what the boiler is doing.

Asked By John Gold | Mar 23 15

What is the best material for the underside of a porch?

Currently the underside is bead board. After this winter in the Northeast it split from ice dam buildup and 2' of snow sitting on the outside overhang 8' by25'. The style of the house is a New England farmhouse. I understand their are two thickness' of wood beadboard, PVC. I'm a little reluctant to use the wood because of possible moisture. The orginal was but up in the 20's. Replaced with new in2014. The thin wood type.

Asked By John Spears | Mar 23 15

Air sealing, flashing questions

I have to say that reading GBA for 4 years certainly helps when you build your own house (my brother's house, really), but it does not replace actually getting your hands dirty or sticky. I use the term sticky because my job is air sealing and I get covered in sticky stuff daily.

I have a few questions because I am not sure that I am doing things correctly. I don't really "get" flashing. I know you are supposed to "think like water" and ask yourself where would the water go and how to divert it to the outside of the building, but some details still baffle me.

Asked By Lucy Foxworth | Aug 25 13

Makeup air advice needed

I had a recent post asking advice regarding HRV vs exhaust only ventilation for my very tight energy efficient smaller home that I am building. Balanced HRV systems if installed properly could have exhaust lines in the bathroom and in the kitchen with boost capacities negating the need for additional exhaust lines.

The major stumbling blocks are the very high cost of proper installation and space requirement for the system itself for easy accessibility as well as space for the duct work.

Asked By Victoria Williams | Mar 22 15

Is anybody aware of an hybrid air-source heat pump and gas boiler available in U.S. market?

I know Daikin makes one for the the European market, but I can't find a similar product that is available here.

Asked By Joseph Carry | Mar 21 15

Furnace and HRV

We are in the market for a new furnace and hrv, do they come as a single unit? Can you also recommend a list of reliable and efficient brands?

Thank you!

Asked By Diane MacIntyre | Mar 22 15

U-values of solid walls

I asked a GSHP installer how they could work out heat loss for each room without knowing the construction characteristics of the walls, roof and floors and received the following answer "our technical design team have worked out based on building regulations the required U-value’s for different properties be it a new build, renovation or boiler replacement in an existing house"

Is this a case where common sense has failed me, can they do this with any degree of accuracy or am I right to be suspicious of the results their averages produce?

Asked By George Winkle | Mar 19 15

What R-value is required on the stem wall of a crawl space?

I am located in Zone 3b, Orange County CA.

Asked By keith messick | Mar 21 15

Water-source heat pump sizing

My 2-ton Carrier water source heat pump needs replacing. It's a condo, so I own the heat pump & handler, but not the water loop. I think I'm going to replace with another Carrier, but I'm considering downsizing to a 1.5-ton unit.

Asked By David Hicks | Mar 19 15