Vented roof insulation

For a vacation home in a 5b zone, does it make sense to put exterior rigid insulation (1" xps) under a standing seam metal roof? This will have a vented attic with no mechanicals up there. I anticipate blow-in on the ceiling deck.

Asked By Robert Holland | Oct 16 14

Replacing a natural gas gravity furnace in an upgraded small older home

I am a regular reader here and have learned a lot on this site. Thanks to all who contribute.

I have been upgrading the thermal envelope in a 960 square foot house in Detroit, Michigan for several years. I have injected polyurethane foam in the walls, R60 cellulose in the attic after air sealing, 2" XPS on the basement walls, and 2" XPS in the joist cavities in the basement. The windows are single pane but with caulked in place storm windows.

Asked By Gregory Worrel | Jun 1 14

Roxul Comfortboard - disadvantages?

I'm intending on insulating my 1950's Cape style house with exterior insulation. I've been planning on following the CCHRC's REMOTE wall assembly with an air tight membrane over the sheathing and 6" of EPS foam (2, 3" layers) then furring strips and siding.

Asked By Mark Fredericks | Oct 14 14

Basement ceiling insulation required by code — but what about the basement door and stairwell?

Seems like a huge thermal hole in the basement ceiling. Code requires R30 in zones 4 plus for unconditioned basements. What about the bottom of the stairs (to 2nd floor) and exposed stairwell walls? People typically just use an interior door to the basement, right?

Asked By Dwight Harris | Oct 15 14

Unusual thermal envelope intrusion at roof-penthouse

Hi,

I've discovered that the ~1987 penthouse addition to my house is partially outside the roof thermal envelope . Since it is attached (naturally) to the remainder of the house it compromises the performance of the whole house.

In a nutshell:

Asked By Keith H | Oct 14 14

My husband and I want to build an efficient house

My husband and I want to build an efficient house. The only problem is we are on a very tight budget.

Asked By K Nuss | Oct 11 14

Choose between more/better insulation, or heat pump?...

Last year we had an energy assessment performed in our 1880's home and were recommended several options. We opted to first pursue air sealing in attic with 20" of blown in cellulose. This made quite a difference both in comfort and heating bills.

Our remaining recommendations:

1 - Insulate walls with dense pack blown in cellulose.
2 - Insulate crawlspace (closed cell spray foam).
3 - Replace 4 windows original to house (drafty!!)
4 - Install high efficiency air source heat pump.

Asked By Christian Rodriguez | Oct 9 14

Sizing a minisplit for a 900-square-foot Chicago carriage house

I have a two-level carriage house (900 sq. ft. total). Brick structure, framed in with R-19 insulation, two levels, open loft style.

I'm wondering if the 12000 BTUH Mitsubishi MZ-FE12NA would be enough to heat the space, or should I go with the 18000 BTUH MZ-FE18NA?

Also, is there any reason why I should consider the Fujitsu minisplit too? I've had good experience with the Fujitsus in a warmer climate (than Chicago), but the specs on the Mitsubishi Hyper Heats seem hard to match in a Fujitsu.

Asked By timothy flynn | Oct 15 14

Insulating an attic furnace room

I have a furnace in my attic around which the builder constructed an enclosure from 2X4 and foil-backed fiberglass insulation. I've been told the R-value of the insulation should be sufficient, but there is clearly air getting through at the seams and creating hot spots in the attic which then leads to ice dams etc. What is proper protocol for insulating these attic "furnace rooms"?

Asked By Patrick Finn | Oct 15 14

Vapor barrier

So where do you apply the termite treatment when placing on com. site?

It only make sense to get your sub grade, apply your termite treatment, then your vapor, then your gab, then your steel/wire, then your concrete.

Anything else would put your vapor at risk of being damaged, right?

That's with 4 inch and 4 inch concrete.

Asked By mike brackett | Oct 15 14