De-superheating for dhw

I see a product from Olive Tree Energy called a ZeroEnergy Water Heating System. Any experience with these or similar products. Is it a good concept? Maybe one of these added to an indirect tank and electric backup so you can turn the boiler off for the summer.

Asked By Jonathan Blaney | Apr 13 18

Basement with back exit door on a landing

In the basement of our bungalow we have experienced seepage in the past. As a result we had the entire exterior of the house waterproofed professionally. The plan it to insulate the interior basement walls this summer using rigid foam against the interior concrete walls, sealing the joints with tape. Additionally, I am planning on a stud wall with roxul batts in between. I have read many of the articles on this site to get to this point.

Asked By TylerRR | Apr 14 18

Minisplit sizing dilemma — to replace oil furnace

I love the GBA website. Thanks for so much good information.

We're in the planning phase for replacing the 31 year-old oil furnace in our 1200 sq. ft. house in Portland, Oregon (climate zone 4C) with a mini split heat pump. The heat pumps we're considering is the Daikin FTQ18PVJU or the FTQ24PVJU.

The house was built in 1960 and is 3-bedroom, 1-bathroom, 2-story, slab-on-grade construction. Windows have been replaced with double-pane, low-E windows and modern solid-core wood doors with tight weatherstripping but those are the only energy improvements the house has installed.

Asked By Oregon1859 | Feb 25 18

Problems with Blue Light Disrupting Sleep

Recently I watched a show on The Nature of Things called "Lights Out".

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episodes/lights-out

Asked By Scott Wilson | Apr 12 18

Sliding Glass Patio Door - Leakage Rate?

Climate zone 6A and doing a pretty good home with a target leakage rate of less than 1.5ACH50. I'm just starting to look at windows so I'm not fully up on the technical specifications yet.

Asked By Steve Mackay | Apr 13 18

Vapor permeability and SRI for unvented roof?

Building a new home, Climate Zone 5. Roof will be Uvented. Underside of rafters will be insulated with closed cell spray foam R-49 which will serve as A/V barrier also. Roofing is asphalt shingles. Most of roof is 12:12 cathedral with 5:12 dormers, with some minor attic area that will contain A/C ductwork. Overhangs are 16".

Asked By Julie Brown | Apr 13 18

Roof assembly

I’m insulating the roof of my log cabin in northern MN, zone 7. Trying to get to r49 topped with standing seam metal. Question is what underlayment do I put on the first layer of decking under the insulation and what do I put on the sheathing on top just under the metal? Also, vent the metal or not? Thank you, Andy

Asked By user-6872567 | Apr 12 18

Searching for pretty good builder

I am in the planning stage for a 2,000 square foot pretty good house. It will be built in the outer reaches of the Atlanta metro. Recommendations can be posted here or emailed to joknapp2000 at yahoo dot com.

Asked By Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia | Apr 11 18

Foundation insulation & moisture protection

I would like to insulate and protect my basement foundation walls using a water based spray on waterproofing, XPS insulation board, and a dimple mat. In what order would they be fastened to the wall? I feel like the insulation should go on after the waterproofing for it to be effective as an insulator.

Asked By Bryanw511 | Apr 10 18

LEED Certification process questions

Hey GBA'ers.

Have any of you gotten a building LEED certified?

I have been emailing and calling the Canadian Green Building Council (I'm located in Toronto), but they're not getting back to me. So I figure I'll just ask the community that actually helps people build green.

Just want to know what the process is, as in, do they need to do inspections during the build? Or is there just one inspection at the end, where they just take my word regarding what materials were used behind the walls. etc?

Asked By Jamie B | Apr 12 18