Gas fireplace... insulated vent chase warranted?

Hi,

Asked By Jay Miracle | Sep 16 16

Do I need an air exchanger?

I am building a super insulated home in Massachusetts and just had my blower door test complete after the insulation was installed and registered a 0.5995 at 50 pascals and it would have been better if I had known the electricians untaped two conduits and a plumbing vent pipe was not sealed. In my spare time (nights and weekends) I completed the air sealing and my builder is an old school guy who thinks homes should breath on their own so I never expected to come close to this type of tightness.

Asked By Brandon McCabe | Sep 17 16

Capillary break

I am getting ready to insulate my basement in preparation for future finishing into living space. My home is located in NE Pennsylvania and was built in 1859 and sits on a field stone foundation. The foundation overall is in very good condition. It is is need of re pointing in some areas but over all in good condition. The basement is damp on two of the walls and during periods of heavy rain weeps water slowly. I have already installed a french drain to daylight around the two walls that periodically weep and are damp on the lower half for much of the year.

Asked By Ben Hardy | Sep 15 16

Foam-free attic insulation?

Hi, I understand spray foam (or possibly rigid foam) is strictly recommended when insulating between the rafters of the attic Both prevent wintertime condensation at the sheathing and eventually rot and roof failure. However, I am failing to see what would be wrong with the following foam free approach to insulating my attic in climate one 4A . Leave 2 inch ventilation gap between underside of the rafter and then install water resistant barrier (but highly vapor open) such as Solitex Mento 1000.

Asked By Matthias Paustian | Sep 14 16

What kind of mini-split, if any, would you recommend to heat, cool, and dehumidify an outdoor metal storage container?

We have an outdoor metal container (45" long x 8" wide x 8" high) in which we would like to store mostly photo slides, and fine art painted on wood. We would like to heat, cool, and dehumidify it as affordably as possible to reach about 50% humidity and 60 to 85 degrees temperature in Beacon, New York where it gets below freezing in winter and above ninety in summer. The container will be hooked up to the electric grid so we will have electricity.

Asked By Valerie Aubry | Sep 16 16

HRV duct set up

I am getting ready to install my HRV. I have been contemplating exhaust in the two bathrooms, three bedrooms, and kitchen area, with only one supply duct in the great room near my mini-split. 1300 square feet, one level, 3 1/2" exterior foam, 6" fiberglass batts, unvented sealed crawl space. The design person at the HRV store is said I should have supply to all bedrooms and just exhaust the bathrooms/kitchen. Climate Zone 7, so I am a little concerned about supplying all that fresh air to the bedrooms in the dead of winter.

Asked By Steve Vigoren | Sep 6 16

Source of ammonia odor in a home (indoor air quality)

We have built a home which is well air sealed and have registered for LEED status, which will be finalized later, when the alternative energy projects and landscaping are complete.

Asked By Andrew Katz | Sep 10 16

Unrealistic R-value claims are alive and well

OK, someone please explain to me how they claim R-64 while only using 8" of EPS which is around R-32? They claim R-8 per inch of insulation on the wall or roof.

http://www.jepsystem.com/history/

https://www.facebook.com/jepsystem/?ref=page_internal

http://www.jepsystem.com/technical-reports/

Asked By Peter L | Sep 15 16

Rock wool insulation?

For my partially sub grade bedroom space, I am averse to spray foam insulation because of the inconclusive endorsements I get when I ask if it off-gasses long term, even if correctly applied. No one from your organization or elsewhere seems to offer definitive endorsement.

Asked By Chris Campbell | Sep 15 16

Who’s up for another house plan review?

Last time someone posted a house design, people seemed to enjoy critiquing it. If you enjoy doing that, here is another chance. If not, please ignore this thread.

I created this house plan with my in-laws in mind. We are trying to convince them to move closer to us near Flint, Michigan. If we can find a nice lakefront lot to build on and a good design, we might have a chance. They are retired. Stairs are not currently a problem for them, but the house is designed so that they wouldn't need to go to the second floor.

Asked By Reid Baldwin | Sep 11 16