Best way to insulate crawl space in new build

Hi. I've asked this question before about an existing house, but now I'm building a new house and would like to make sure we get this right. Thank you to everyone who contributes here. Your insight is beyond helpful.

Asked By Cherylann Schieber | May 19 17

The shoulder season with mini splits- Do I select heating or cooling or shut it off completely?

I Recently hired a contractor to install a Mitsu MSZFH15NA indoor unit with MUZFH15NA outdoor unit to be the sole source of heat and AC for a 1970 single floor ranch, 900 sq. ft, open concept with cathedral ceilings about 12 feet tall, in the Cape Cod, Mass area..

Previously, a pellet stove was the source of heating and a window ac unit for cooling. Both which worked well in terms of comfort and efficiency when paying the electric utility at months end.

Asked By James Someone | May 20 17

Microwave: High or low?

My wife and I know the pros and cons of having the microwave over the range (more cons than pros) but don't have any experience with the microwave under the counter.

What are your thoughts about putting the microwave under the island counter (safety, convenience or inconvenience)?

Asked By Mark Walker | May 12 17

Does Grace Ice & Water adhere well to OSB sheathing?

We will soon be adding the OSB sheathing to our new build, and I intend to build a PERSIST wall system.

Based on this particular quote in an article on this site: “Peel-and-stick tape on OSB doesn’t work without a primer.” ...along with a video of building a PERSIST house in Austin Texas, in which they coated the OSB with some sort of primer before applying the peel-n-stick, I am wondering if this a crucial step? Did I miss that detail in the PERSIST article or was it omitted for some reason? I was planning on using Grace Ice and Water Shield. Many thanks!

Asked By John Peeper | May 19 17

Mold on lumber

Hello there,

I have noticed some black spots on my lumber, that seem to be from spilled pain perhaps, but looks like some mold has grown over top.

For those of you who care enough about mold, what works well cleaning it off? I was thinking of using a mold cleaner then sanding.

If I do that, how long do you think I should give it before I start sheathing and closing the walls in?

Here are a few pics

Asked By Rocky12 | May 19 17

Is there an advantage to having radiant barrier sheathing on the roof of a house which is rather cold in cool weather?

we have an old shake roof on a house that was built in 1947 in the mild climate of san jose, california. the house is generally cold and damp in cold to cool weather.

we are now replacing the roof with a shingle roof. we were told that the new roof may help with the chill as there will not be gaps between the 'rafters."

we are trying to decide whether to buy radiant barrier sheathing for the warm to hot days, which have been hotter and more numerous in the last few years. however, we do not want to make the house even colder outside of the times of heat.

Asked By ms49 | May 18 17

Low-slope roof insulation questions

Q1. Can existing loose fill cellulose be dense-packed later?

Q2. On a vented low slope roof with loose fill cellulose on the attic floor, will rigid foam above the decking create issues?

Background:

Asked By Anthony Yoder | May 19 17

What wall set-up would you go with?

New 1 storey home build, North East of Toronto,ON, Zone 6.

Currently the plan was 4" exterior EPS foil covered with 2 x 6 stud wall filled with Roxul R22 or maybe 24.
Then I saw used paper faced Polyiso in 3" thickness from roof replacements, so I'm looking into this and trying to see if I can get enough to do 2 layers on the exterior sheathing .
So questions is what wall do you think would be a better setup?

4"EPS + 2 x 6 with R22 Roxul = R40 +/- added expensive of new EPS and 2 x 6 studs

Asked By Dave B | May 17 17

Window Flashing - Housewrap over ZIP

We will be installing Housewrap over our ZIP system sheathing.

The Housewrap will act as the WRB. Windows already installed and flashed with ZIP tape.

How can we best flash the windows and doors with the addition of the housewrap, since the windows are already installed?

Also, are there moisture issues associated with using two layers of WRB against each other?

Asked By Bridget Lamberson | May 15 17

Cheap cedar alternative for shed clapboard cladding, in Europe?

I'm planning to build a large multifunctional shed. More like a multifunctional yard building, 7x7m. Part will be masonry (3x3m) with wood clapboard cladding, the rest I had planned as a just a storage area, with cladding on the outside, OSB on the inside, on wood construction.

I want to use wood clapboard siding (with rainscreen). Resources I find from USA websites mostly use cedar for this purpose.

What would be an acceptable local alternative here in Europe, with regards to durability and resistance to elements, but cheap?

Asked By davor radman | May 12 17