Should I fix these attic vent baffles?

My builder recently added the attic vent baffles to my house under construction. I looked at them and realized that when I had read about attic vent baffles on Green Building Advisor, these don't follow the recommendations and I'm looking for opinions on how much impact this will have and if I should have them make a modification.

Right now there is no ceiling drywall or insulation up there, so it would be "easy" to make a change, but in a week we hope to have ceiling drywall and insulation blown, so then it would become too late.

Asked By Nick Hall | Jan 26 16

Innie or outie windows with exterior foam?

CZ 7 Northern MN, 2x6 standard frame with 4" exterior foam. Exterior foam is basically unknown here. My builder and the local lumber yard person think I should go with innies, because they both feel the windows would get too cold being on the outside of the wall. My windows will be Marvin double hung, fiberglass or aluminum out, wood in. I had thought I would go with outside windows because I thought it would be easier (cheaper) to extend the frame inside, than extend the trim outside, but I am not stuck on either one. Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Asked By Steve Vigoren | Jan 31 16

they didnt completely hook the cold air return on my furnace is that ok what could happen

can just using indoor instead of fresh outside air cause any problems

Asked By Roger Blankenship II | Feb 1 16

Fixing Basement Insulation

We recently purchased a newer home in zone 5.5. The unfinished basement is insulated with fiberglass batts framed between 2x4 spaced 24" apart. It has poly vapor barrier against the concrete, then it looks like R-19 unfaced batts, then another layer of poly vapor. The studs are spaced about 1" away from the poured concrete walls. I was thinking of removing the vapor barriers and batts and insulating between the studs with 3" XPS foam. The question is how best to do that?

Asked By Mel Tillyard | Jan 31 16

Slab Floor Construction

I was a watching a video today of a slab on grade construction at a new build PH in Ireland. Their buildup was radon barrier, concrete, and then what appeared to be 2 layers of 4" thick polyiso-like sheets. The sheets were to be taped into aerated concrete blocks around the perimeter to maintain the thermal envelope. Seems as if in the US, the insulation layer is usually underneath the concrete. I know in a retro you can put foam on top of concrete, but anyone know why is it not typically done this way in new PH builds here, especially if you don't want a finished concrete basement floor?

Asked By Jonathan Lawrence | Feb 1 16

Removed AC'ing of garage...now I understand why it was there to begin with...

Hello - I put 3 months of effort into refurbishing the garage. i own a 2 story house where the the ceiling of the garage is the floor of the 2d story - that is, there are two bedrooms and a hallway directly above the garage.

Although there were a myriad of issues in the garage space, it was noted on the inspection report (I bought the house 2 years ago) that there were air intakes in the garage and this is obviously a bad idea (car exhaust, other fumes, etc). I also discovered that there were ducts leading into the garage AC'ing the garage. Odd, since the garage leaks like a sieve.

Asked By daniel slaman | Jan 31 16

New roof, new skylights, new condensation... and not a lot of answers. Any help?

Hey everyone. I don't normally post to anything but I'm at the end of my rope and not sure which experts I can trust so looking for some extra opinions before I go and do nothing or start making tons of holes in my roof.

Asked By S. B. | Jan 24 16

Would a $5,000 investment in rooftop solar make economic sense?

I'm building an all-electric home. I am currently paying 7.22 cents per KWH. I'm poor, but could possibly budget $5,000 for solar power, if 30% of that $5,000 is returned to me as a tax credit. Would investing that $5,000 in solar power make sense? (This question is premised on the cost to me, after the tax rebate, being $3,500.) Or, would my $5,000 be eaten up by installation costs, and leave me generating enough electricity to operate an LED light fixture? It doesn't matter what I could do for $15,000 or $20,000.

Asked By James Timmerberg | Jan 29 16

Has anyone compared the latest FLIR One, FLIR C2, and SEEK?

Small, relatively inexpensive thermal cameras have been on the market for a short time, maybe as little as two years. I have read and seen a few reviews of the FLIR One and SEEK, but have not seen a review of the FLIR C2. The C2 is advertised as a pocket-size infrared camera and sells for about $700. The FLIR One and SEEK are both devices that attach to smartphones and sell for about $250. The "early" FLIR One reportedly had problems with battery life and with unexpected shutdown.

Asked By Albert Russell | Jan 25 16

Used 3" polyiso insulation under slabs?

I am building a pretty good house next summer. I have an opportunity to purchase used 3" faced polyiso (asking $25 a sheet). I am wondering if this would be a good fit for under my rat slab in my unvented crawl space and my attached garage slab. Both house and garage will have poured ICF walls in the foundation. Zone 7 northern MN. Looking to save a little money and buying used foam of course is a better environmental fit.

Asked By Steve | Dec 17 15