Any new insight on Air Krete?

I've read the other posts, which are a few years old.

Does anyone have any new advice or guidance using the product? I have a client that is interested in the product. Specifically looking for any known issues or installation advice.

Asked By Cliff kornegay | Jul 20 16

Air Krete

Air Krete seems like an incredible product. Everything about it sounds great. R-value of 6. Inert. No VOCs. Fire Resistant.

How many builders, retrofit contractors are using this?

It does not appear to be widely popular but it seems like a dream come true.

What am I missing here?

What's the catch?

Asked By Reuven Walder | Aug 7 14

Kneewall insulation planning stage - Thoughts appreciated

Hi All,

I have read all the available articles and Q&A on kneewall insulation, including Dana's comments on playing the fool on multiple occasions and therefore would appreciate your views on my situation / questions / possible approach.

Situation:

- Climate Zone 5 (Chicago area)
- Walk-in closet over attached 2-car garage (20ft x 8ft space)
- Garage attic has soffit and ridge venting and this attic is isolated from the rest of the home's attic space, except for one HVAC duct which comes from the "main" attic. This duct runs above approximately half of the kneewall ceiling

Asked By Joe Duchek | Feb 10 17

We are purchasing a circa 1966 Cape in the Philadelphia area with the garage under two bedrooms and two baths

The garage ceiling is covered with Homasote but there are small areas that you can see an underlying plaster ceiling with missing chunks.

We are homeowners with an enduring passion for houses. We previously designed our own home in 1995, then enjoyed 20 years there. I am a retired Doc who reads FHB for fun!

Asked By Geoffrey Simon | Jul 14 17

Advice on minisplit inspector approval

I'm building a new home with Mitsubishi mini-splits. There are three units total, two 9K units and one 12K. Manual J was done and came it at 24K for heating in zone 5. The house is a simple stacked square 2 story of 847 sq. ft. each floor and a 550 sq. ft finished work shop with one 9K unit. The 12K unit is on the bottom floor and the last 9K unit is at the top of the stairs. The building inspector is not wanting to sign off on the HVAC system because he does not think that the one upstairs 9K unit will get heat into each of the bedrooms, he thinks that I need a unit in each bedroom.

Asked By Jeff Towson | Jul 14 17

Looking for good quality 3.25" x 10" wall cap with backdraft damper for kitchen exhaust fan - recommendations?

Venting range hood straight out the wall - need a high quality wall cap to keep the cold air out.

Asked By Walter Gayeski | Sep 6 12

Insulating a 3 inch vaulted ceiling

My name is Gary Bushong, I am remodeling a older home in Fort Lauderdale Florida, The great room in the picture has been gutted and the rafters exposed. We are remodeling it exposing 5 " of the 8" existing rafter when complete (key west style ceiling). Doing this type of exposed ceiling is only allowing us only 3" of space between the tongue and groove roof base and the new tongue and groove ceiling. I am looking for suggestions on what insulation product would be best suited for a minimum R value of 19 in this 3" space ?

Asked By gbushong | Jul 14 17

Housewrap placement on a "wrap and strap" job

Using XPS on my "wrap and strap," and wondering if the housewrap needs to be installed directly against the XPS or can be installed on the straps directly under the siding.

Asked By Daniel F. Vellone | Jul 14 17

Seal and insulate before considering venting?

If you have an older cape and it has both heat and moisture issues on the upper floor and in the attic and you have limited time and resources, would you first do your best at air sealing and insulating the house, and then evaluate whether those problems go away before considering venting the house?

Asked By Jeff Towson | Jul 14 17