Imagine the Lincoln Family (of 4) Live in North America
They don't care at all about Privacy
They do care very much about Comfort

Could they be "Comfortable" in a One Room "Cabin"
Heated and Cooled by a Single Ductless Mini-Split?

What if they Lived in San Francisco?
Or North Ontario?

Asked By John Brooks | Jul 12 14

I have followed the blogs on the heat loss problems of ceiling can lights. If one replaces the PAR30 incandescent with an ECOSMART LED and caulk the rim of the LED trim with silicone, the entire unit should be air tight, since the light itself is a closed

Asked By Jack Pladziewicz | Jun 27 14

22 year old home, T1-11 wood siding failing (cupping, delaminating, peeling away). T1-11 is siding over 1/2" blueboard over 2 X 4 framing (16" o.c.), with blown-in cellulose insulation, 1/2" sheetrock inside. Can I cut out damaged sections of siding, patch back in with OSB or 1 by roughsawn, then 15# roofing felt, then corrugated metal low and traditional stucco above? Dry, windy climate, intense sun, low interior humidity, limited budget. Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Asked By Joe Sweeney | Jul 11 14

Does anyone out there have any experience with Ray-Core Walls?
http://www.raycore.com/

Apparently they are a SIP-like wall/roof panel with R-7.25 polyurethane foam.

Asked By Brett Moyer | Oct 11 10

I am retrofitting a 1920's era, balloon framed, south-half, east west semi in Toronto and am hoping somebody can weigh in on my approach. All my work is from the interior.

On the outside of the stud cavity there is plank sheathing ~1/2" x 8" with gaps and kraft paper. The west face is brick clad, and the south and east have aluminum siding with a minimal foam backing and shingles behind. I suspect, but am not certain, there is also brick behind that. I know builders can skimp on side and rear, but the same style neighboring houses are brick on all sides.

Asked By drew adams | Jul 11 14

Hi,
We are in the process of converting our 22' x 8' screened porch into a heated space in Vermont. I've attached some photos. The floor and ceiling are 2x6, 24" o.c. and I replaced the screens with five 6' insulated low E vinyl sliding doors. This allows us to keep the screened porch feel during the summer by opening five doors w/screens.

Asked By Sal Alder | Jul 11 14

Can a liquid-applied flashing product like Zip System Liquid Flash or Prosoco Fast Flash span a gap between different building materials? The particular situation I can think of would be the application of liquid flashing to the inside surfaces of a window buck and out onto the face of exterior rigid insulation like foil faced polyiso. Seems like adhesion and flexibility could be suspect.

Asked By Brian Coppola | Jul 11 14

I'm leaning towards doing a slab on grade foundation with a stem wall for a new house, and have been thinking about slab edge insulation details. The most common approach seems to be to include a ledge, something like a brick ledge, on the interior of the stem wall. This ledge is usually wide enough to allow for up to 2" of insulation at the slab edge, while still allowing for the slab to slightly overlap it.

Asked By Graham Fisher | Jul 10 14

Prior to placing the insulation, I glued heavy fabric to the front to give it an aesthetic balance with the bedroom.

My concern: Will the form board out-gas causing harm to the occupants?

Asked By Robert Mela | Jul 11 14

Hi,

I'm interested in GBA like podcasts that GBA members find worthwhile. Sometimes all I'm doing is sanding or grinding and can multitask effectively with good building related podcast.

Thank you,
Scott

Asked By scott plantier | Jul 10 14