Please refer me to a commercial product or plans for a roof covering for snow and leaf protection for my two Mitsubishi minisplits.

My new Mitsubishi minisplits are located on the gable side of my new home about 18" apart, approx 4.5' high, 12" wide and 30" from my house siding. I would like a protective structure(s) to have some side protection from both drifting snow and wind blown leaves. A major consideration for this structure is flexibility for partial dis-assembly so that servicemen will have access for periodic maintenance. Would it be possible to use some wire screens on the front and sides for adequate ventilation which would also prevent autumn leaves from accumulating around the units?

Asked By JOSEPH POLAND | Feb 9 15

Vented/Unvented Cathedral

My original design for my cathedral ceiling involved 2x12 rafters filled with fiberglass batts or cellulose. Then with 1" xps foam installed directly on top of the rafters. I planned on installing purlins on top of the foam board with metal roofing screwed to the panels.

To comply with the code for unvented cathedral in Indiana, I am supposed to have r-15 of foam above the sheathing. I don't intend to have conventional plywood or osb sheathing. It seams like all the code is made to vent the moisture off the sheathing.

Asked By Nick Mason | Feb 5 15

What kind of exterior wall to build above foundation susceptible to capillary suction and ground moisture?

hello all ... im gonna give details on my scenario, and invite any comments
i am in the middle of renovating a 1story 3000 sq ft ranch house that sits perched on a very high water table. the main reason for the renovation was due to major moisture infiltration into the home, along with the horrid stuff that comes along with the wet on paper and wood.

Asked By Jon Robinson | Feb 18 15

How to get rid of sour smell in new house with spray foam?

Home owner complaining about spray foam smell in new home !

Asked By Robert Cook | Feb 18 15

Weird top-plate area idea

New England is going through a helluva winter, and has turned into
a festival of ice dams across much of the Northeast.. [Go here for
a small artistic study thereof, and some other winter fun.] What
strikes me as a common problem that may contribute to this is the
difficulty of effectively insulating over the top plate of typical
roof/wall construction in vented-attic scenarios, invariably leading
to significant heat loss right above the eave where it's most critical
to *not* warm the roof surface.

Asked By Hobbit _ | Feb 18 15

Foil-faced polystyrene and WRB

I believe it's suggested that the WRB be placed as close to window plane as possible. With the shrinkage problem associated with rigid foam , a house wrap may be a better choice. So...if you use foil faced polystyrene then cover it with a house wrap.....then have a rain screen space.....doesn't the wrap negate any benefit from the foil facing.

Asked By Robert Brown | Feb 17 15

Moisture problems with double-stud walls

I have read the article on double-studded walls very carefully. Moisture elimination is one of the issues that I am trying to resolve in my mind before attempting a low-energy home.

I am considering using the six-inch wall with staggered 2X4s since it reduces the thermal transfer by approximately 20% in my calculations. The design that I am considering is as follows:
•Cement board siding
•One-half inch vented rain screen
•ZIP System R3 as the exterior sheathing to replace OSB, Tyvek and blue-board insulation

Asked By Larry Hanneman | Feb 15 15

Indoor air quality in a ventillated NZE house when power goes out

We live in a NZE house of about 34795 ft3, and it has a ACH50 of 0.46 - the actual number was 269 cfm @ 50 pa. The Zehnder ventilation is set to 144 CFM. 4 bedrooms 3.5 baths.
If the power goes out, do we need to worry about suffocation? I would prefer not to open windows, to maintain the heat in the house for as long as possible. - the power goes out in the winter, usually. Has anyone done any studies on the indoor air quality in such a situation?

Asked By David Hobart | Feb 16 15

Is low density foam under the sheathing the right type of insulation for attics?

I live in zone 4B and have a house with 3 tab shingles. Recently I was given a proposal from a company that offers energy performance and one of the recommendations was to apply 8" of low density foam under the sheathing with no mention of creating any type of ventilation in between the sheathing and insulation.
The second recommendation that they proposed was to put 2" high density foam on the rim joist.
Is the low density foam the right type of foam to apply under the sheathing and is ventilation needed between the foam and the under sheathing?

Asked By Joseph Samsonowitz | Feb 17 15

Detached garage - outswing or inswing door? Commercial or residential door?

On a detached garage would it better to install a steel door with a steel frame OUTSWING door or just a standard wood/fiberglass INSWING residential door?

Asked By Peter L | Feb 16 15