Radiant heat system to go under ceramic tile on a concrete floor ?

Trying to find a radiant heat system to go under ceramic tiles in bed room. Don't know enough about them to pick the best one and still not pay a small fortune..

Asked By nuclear free | Apr 14 18

Recommended European Tilt Turn Options with Thinnest Site Line

We had originally specced our project with Yaro UPVC but were considering options with smaller frames and similar high performance windows. One option is the Tanner Vitra.

The Vitra frame is 3.3” while the Yaro frame (currently specified product) is 4.6”. A difference of 1.3” in frame width. This equates to 2.6” more glass in both height and width (2 x frame dim.). This narrower frame will significantly change the feeling of openness one gets from a window of equal size. Of course the Vitra is more expensive and we're estimating about 45% more. Performance-wise they're very similar.

Asked By J M | Apr 7 18

Best tape for OSB?

Ok, I have given up on finding much local.

I can get Sega Wigluv 100 2 1/4 for about $60 a roll

or

I can get Zip tape for $26 a roll 3.75 x 90

In the Texas A&M outdoor exposure tests the Zip tape was looking quite good, and I think it performed well in martin's backyard test of tapes also.

I know wigluv is really really good stuff, is it worth ordering online and paying a bit over twice as much ? Or is Zip tape going to get me a similar result.

Note, this is not on zip, but on OSB, in Austin Texas.

Asked By Sleaton | Sep 6 17

Can I use Grace Ice and Water Shield on my basement floor for as a moisture barrier?

I live in northern VT and we're re-finishing our basement. Our basement is cool and damp but no water or excess moisture. We will be spray foaming the walls and I also want to put down a moisture barrier on the floor which will be carpeted. I can't put down anything too thick due to the stairs but I want something durable and also not slippery due to the carpet. I'm wondering if I can you GRACE Ice and Water Shield (or similar roofing underlayment) as a moisture barrier. I also like the fact that it has an adhesive so it will stay in place.

Asked By Willy1 | Apr 16 18

Closed Crawl Spaces/For Ted Clifton

I have read with interest Ted Clifton's comments on closed crawl spaces, in which he advocates insulating the walls AND the floor (eg, comment #9 here: here). But, I'm unclear on teh recommended R value for floors.

What R value insulation should we install in the crawl space ceiling?

Asked By Emerson | Apr 1 18

Heat loads and mini-split.

Hi
So had my heat loss calculations done on the new build, and would like some input from people regarding what mini-split they would recommend and placement of the heads, I’m in Zone 6 and the house is single storey with a walk-out basement, total square footage with both floors is 4400.
The following is what they came up with: Main floor Htg load 11889 Btuh, Clg load 12613 Btuh
Walkout Basement Htg load 10792 Btuh, Clg load 2658 Btuh
Total : Heating Load 22681 Btuh
Cooling Load 19582 Btuh

Asked By Dave B | Apr 5 18

Patio door: I'm balancing options and need input, please

Good morning from often windy Colorado, 7000 ft zone 6b,

We are building a pretty good house with a north facing patio that has a 9ft expanse for a door. There will be a covered pergola with some sort of clear material above for protection. We are looking at double slider, lift and slide, French with side lites and trifold. The windows will be Alpen.

We are balancing
A. energy awareness, aka air leakage
B. ability to get as wide an opening, aka my husband wants to bring the outside in
C. lost space from the swing needed from French or trifold
D. pricing

Asked By Lydia Segal | Apr 14 18

What radiant heat system would work best on concrete floor with tile?

I'm thinking something that would create a thermal break between concrete and tile floor. Anyone with ideas about what to use would be appreciated.. Thanks Rob

Asked By Nuclear Free | Apr 15 18

Overroof venting, aka a weird intersection of roofs...

Hey all, I'm building a home in the foothills of the Cascade mountains in WA. It's listed as Zone 4, but it gets some snow, is on the edge of a rain forest that gives us very wet winters and very dry summers.
The house has two 20' wide roof sections that intersect at a T. One is vaulted and vented using the I-joist method similar to last year's Fine Homebuilding project house. The other roof is a more conventional raised heel truss roof. Ridge vents for both.

Asked By Andrius S | Apr 15 18

Dual pane window with 1 tempered pane - should it be inside or outside?

I'm placing the window order for my 'good enough' house and have been through several iterations of colors/wood/Low-e variations, etc. Through 3 iterations, the glazing was always specified as "Tempered Inside Pane only/Fire Glass" but the most recent and (almost) final quote has all windows listed "Tempered is Outside Pane". (The house is in a WUI (woodlands-urban interface) area, hence the 'one tempered pane' requirement). Do I care whether the tempered pane is inside or outside? I searched both this site and the web for recommendations or requirements and came up empty...

Asked By Rob Hunter | Apr 15 18