Who is responsible for maintaining a record of the layout of private citizen's septic system to be sure their system meets regs?

We had a water test come back from Endyne as positive for E. coli. As a matter of course we of course thought of our nearest neighbor as leaking human fecal matter into our driven well system.

Upon calling the town to find out what kind of septic system our neighbor has, the town indicated that they did not have a record because of the age of the system.

Asked By Stacey Gates | Nov 19 16

Redundancy of taping and caulking XPS

On my wrap and strap I'll be taping joints on the xps with siga sicrall. Will caulking the joints in addition be an unnecessary redundancy that I can save some money by avoiding?

Asked By Daniel F. Vellone | Nov 19 16

7' x 7' sky light with a low U Factor

I need to replace a 7' x 7' skylight in a condo in Boston. I'm looking for a product withe a low U Factor. I've spoken to Wasco, and they said they can't make any of their eco products that large, so I'm stuck with their standard acrylic dome and a U Factor of 0.64.

Has anyone seen another skylight product that could be manufactured at that size with a low U Factor?

- Adam

Asked By Adam berrey | Nov 21 16

Construction sequence for mineral wool insulated double walls?

This concept is base on the assumption of a PWF with it's top flush with the bottom of the sub-floor but may be adapted to other situations. My current plan is 2 ea 2x4 walls, both sheathed on their outer faces. Fiberboard on the outer and OSB on the inner. I I hope to use 3 layers of 3 1/2" mineral wool bats. I'm thinking that it may be possible to build all 3 layers on the sub floor then erect all at once as an assembly.

Asked By Jerry Liebler | Nov 20 16

While I love radiators, I hate using fossil fuels

I live in an 1890 Victorian in Southern Pennsylvania, heated by oil. While I love radiators, I hate using fossil fuels! Is there a way to use green technology to use less oil? My methods to date have been uncomfortable - installing a wood stove.

Is there a way of boosting the boiler with green energy? Would geothermal help? I'm newly divorced and ignorant about systems!
Thanks, Susan

Asked By Susan Hanway | Aug 28 16

Is this a better way of installing tubing for radiant floor heating?

This is a build residential build in Germany. I found it interesting because as you can see the tubing was added after the walls, framing, etc had been built whereas in the on this site I typically see PEX being incorporated into the slab itself.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/uploads/post-544-1145360256_thumb.jpg

Asked By Chris M | Nov 17 16

HRV or ERV With or without dehumidification for SIPs house in Colorado situated at 7500'?

The house will be very tight and will require an air exchange system to limit retained moisture and prevent condensation in the SIP panels on the roof at cold temperature. The house is 2600 SQFT and is a story and a half. All internal SIP seams will be sealed with the tape that the SIP manufacturer supplied and all window and door frames will be seal with foam. The HRV or ERV will be connected to the baths, mudroom and kitchen for off-take and input into the bedrooms and living room. There will be no AC system installed. The heating system will be hot water baseboard radiators.

Asked By Jim Lane | Nov 18 16

Insulating unvented flat roof with multiple materials

I have 6" joists under the flat roof to work with, I'm in Climate Zone 2A - Tampa, FL. I recently installed a TPO roof with tapered foam, the taper goes from 0.5" to 4", so there is some insulation on top. My deck is 1x12" shiplap solid wood.

After reading the articles it seems like I have a few choices (1000sqft):
a) 5.5" of closed cell foam, $5500, R36
b) 1.5" closed cell + 4" of open cell, $3100, R24
c) 2" closed cell + 3.5" fiberglass, $2300, R28

Questions:

Asked By Jimmy Black | Nov 18 16

Crawlspace insulation - do I need to change my plan?

Hi All,

We converted an old closet in a bedroom by demoing it's front wall and installing a header, creating a nook for a desk. Behind the nook WAS an unconditioned crawlspace, created at the junction of two opposing gables, and divided by a valley rafter. The walls of the crawlspace are brick on block and are very drafty.

Asked By G S | Nov 17 16

Vapor barrier under slab at frost wall/edge of slab junction?

I am getting ready to pour a slab on grade. Capillary break - Roxul IS - vapor barrier - slab and the 48' frost wall has Roxul from the top of the footer to top of slab (interior). The slab will be 3" lower than the top of the frost wall

Asked By Brad Lamson | Nov 17 16