I'm looking for a detail for integrating an insect screen with vertical corrugated metal siding that is meant to function as rainscreen.

Are the typical metal J-trims and flashings enough to keep bugs out of the corrugated flutes or is there a better way?

Asked By Daryl Ross | Jul 12 14

In a conversation with a tenant earlier today....

The tenant (a PHD Cello student) had visited Israel last summer. When Green Building came up, he commented that ALL houses in Israel have Solar Hot Water Tanks installed. Ok, I will presume he is off by 50%, still 50% vs .....how many in the USA.....less than 00.1% as a guess. [And I doubt he toured many rural areas vs metropolitan.]

So my question is, what are we doing wrong...or what are they doing right. Yes, I realize the climate is different. Is it the laws, the need, the desire, or is is technical!

Asked By John Granoski | Jul 12 14

I am in the research phase for building a house in MA (would be my first), and find myself on board with almost all of the consensus best-practice ideas here on GBA: super-insulation, air-tightness, simplicity of design, small buildings, etc.

Asked By Ethan Fahy | Jul 11 14

We are replacing a roof structure on a portion of our 1832 timber frame home with regular framing (17' x 20'; 20' is horizontal roof span). Due to the 4' kneewall and 5 pitch roof, the ceiling height in the peak of the room is only 8', so we want to retain the cathedral ceiling in this large room. We are using a laminated 14" ridge beam and 2 x 10" rafters (16" OC), with no rafter tails (maintaining the original structure design with the timber frame). We are climate zone 5, Marine (SE Michigan, between the big lakes).

Asked By Emily Rusnak | Jul 12 14

Maybe I'm not asking Mr Google the right question, but I'm not finding anything on the life expectancy of air sealing tapes & flashing tapes. I've seen the backyard tape test, but that doesn't answer the question of how the tapes will be performing in 20+ years. Any suggestions on where to look or particular tapes to recommend ?

Asked By Roy Goodwin | Jul 12 14

Imagine the Lincoln Family (of 4) Live in North America
They don't care at all about Privacy
They do care very much about Comfort

Could they be "Comfortable" in a One Room "Cabin"
Heated and Cooled by a Single Ductless Mini-Split?

What if they Lived in San Francisco?
Or North Ontario?

Asked By John Brooks | Jul 12 14

I have followed the blogs on the heat loss problems of ceiling can lights. If one replaces the PAR30 incandescent with an ECOSMART LED and caulk the rim of the LED trim with silicone, the entire unit should be air tight, since the light itself is a closed

Asked By Jack Pladziewicz | Jun 27 14

22 year old home, T1-11 wood siding failing (cupping, delaminating, peeling away). T1-11 is siding over 1/2" blueboard over 2 X 4 framing (16" o.c.), with blown-in cellulose insulation, 1/2" sheetrock inside. Can I cut out damaged sections of siding, patch back in with OSB or 1 by roughsawn, then 15# roofing felt, then corrugated metal low and traditional stucco above? Dry, windy climate, intense sun, low interior humidity, limited budget. Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Asked By Joe Sweeney | Jul 11 14

Does anyone out there have any experience with Ray-Core Walls?
http://www.raycore.com/

Apparently they are a SIP-like wall/roof panel with R-7.25 polyurethane foam.

Asked By Brett Moyer | Oct 11 10

I am retrofitting a 1920's era, balloon framed, south-half, east west semi in Toronto and am hoping somebody can weigh in on my approach. All my work is from the interior.

On the outside of the stud cavity there is plank sheathing ~1/2" x 8" with gaps and kraft paper. The west face is brick clad, and the south and east have aluminum siding with a minimal foam backing and shingles behind. I suspect, but am not certain, there is also brick behind that. I know builders can skimp on side and rear, but the same style neighboring houses are brick on all sides.

Asked By drew adams | Jul 11 14