Mini crawl space

I have decided to convert a piece of my timber frame barn into living space on my new home.( the barn is there) what I would like to do is elevate a 2x 8 floor above the existing slab. This would hanger onto the existing perimeter grade beam that sits on top of the concrete stem walls. I would set the floor 1.5" higher than the grade beam to create a thermal break with a narrow ripping of eps. So I would end up with about 10 inches beneath the floor assembly.

Asked By scott mangold | Jan 7 17

Windwashing through loose-fill cellulose

We have some high winds, 40km/h, gusts up to 105km/h. I pulled some of the plugs in the wall (I have not plastered them yet) and noticed the wind gets through the cellulose with no problems, the wind blew in a few puffs of cellulose during strong gusts.

Essentially my house has an air barrier at the interior plaster, wall stack up is:
plaster/lath/plaster/barn board/cellulose-true 2x4/wood siding/vinyl siding.

I could not read the wind washing article since i'm not a premium member but i'm guessing it found wind washing is real if my experience is any indication.

Asked By Alan B | Jan 11 17

Polyiso for fiberglass insulation retrofit

I'm new to this community, but have really appreciated the depth of information available as I've been reading though old posts the last couple of weeks.

My wife and I recently moved into a 1974 home in central Virginia (climate zone 4) which has a wall structure of: tongue and groove boards, 2x4 framing with foil faced fiberglass batts in the stud bays, OSB sheathing, felt paper and cedar shake siding.

Asked By Daniel Potter | Jan 13 17

How is your heat pump working?

Just wondering how folks with heat pumps are making out. The last half of December - first half of January have been real winter here in MN. I am in CZ 7, Northern MN, we just had the coldest night of the year at -33F. I have a Hyper Heat MUZFH15NA outside unit and a MSZFH15NA indoor unit heating a one story 1344 square foot home. (18K btu/hr heating capacity) Thermostat set at 72F. At 2AM I got up to check on things and the heat pump was shut down. My baseboard electric comes on at 67F and was just coming on. At 7AM it was -33F and the house was 66F.

Asked By Steve Vigoren | Jan 13 17

Air sealing the building envelope while avoiding moisture issues

First off, thank you GBA community for all the support so far in getting my project planning done for my net zero build. I've been doing a good amount of research on the best way to provide a good air barrier for my future home. I have significant concerns on a cost effective way to get the proper air sealing in order to hit the goal of sub 1.5 ACH. Below is a quick overview of what the build envelope looks like so far:

Asked By Joshua Greisen | Jan 5 17

Why are we measuring a pressure (in Pa) for the fan, when we are really interested in knowing the flow rate of air through fan?

The question relates to blower door testing and the Tectite system.

Asked By Iqra Khan | Jan 11 17

Bathroom drywall

I have been searching, but not coming up with a clear answer.

We are planning on using Dens Armor in our bathrooms walls, with the exception of Cement around the shower enclosure and also Cement as a tile backer.

With regards to the shower ceiling, is Dens Armor suitable?

Asked By Bridget Lamberson | Jan 12 17

Continuous back-up?

I am trying to understand the fire code here: http://www.cufca.ca/fire.php.

I want to put up some hardboard to cover ridig foam in my basement walls. What does the code mean by "3 mm thickness over continuous back-up?"

9.29.7. Hardboard Finish

9.29.7.1. Material Standard

1) Hardboard shall conform to CAN/CGSB11.3-M, Hardboard.

9.29.7.2. Thickness

1) Hardboard shall be not less than

a) 3 mm thick when applied over continuous back-up,
b) 6 mm thick when applied over supports spaced not more than 400 mm o.c., and

Asked By Marc Delisle | Jan 12 17

Inline Windows shear blocks

I am strongly considering Inline Windows for our home in Lincoln, NE (zone 5). The Inline rep informed me that the shear blocks (see attached JPG) Inline uses to mechanically secure their frames are made of PVC.

Asked By Derrick Krienert | Jan 4 17

Suggestions for house plans

Hello again,

Moving on from the great heating advice that we recieved a while back from you guys on here, we're carrying on with the design of our new home. We're still working on a few details of the home plans. We have the shape of the house ironed down but may have to come back to rearrange some partitions inside.
I've spent the last while going through a lot of the articles and discussions on GBA. Some aspects of the house I now feel good about, and they been positively reinforced with the opinions on here.

Asked By Daniel Chidley | Jan 8 17