Surface 4 low-e... condensation issues?

Hi,
Your articles from April 2013, reference the issue of higher condensation on surface 4 using low-e products like i81.
Is there an update on this surface 4 condensation issue with the new i89 material.
Pholz

Asked By paul holzsc | Oct 8 14

Audio podcast similar to GBA content?

Hi,

I'm interested in GBA like podcasts that GBA members find worthwhile. Sometimes all I'm doing is sanding or grinding and can multitask effectively with good building related podcast.

Thank you,
Scott

Asked By scott plantier | Jul 10 14

Avoiding spray foam in basement sills

I've been working with an energy auditor and insulation contractor to seal up our home in climate zone 5b. I've been told the only option for sealing the basement sills in this climate is spray foam. I am really trying to avoid this product entirely, and want to find alternatives. I have access to attractively priced reclaimed foil-face polyiso rigid foam, butI I've heard lots of negatives about cutting this stuff in to rafter and stud bays, in terms of blockage of moisture. However, can I block it in with the foil facing inward?

Asked By Asa Bradford | Oct 7 14

Interior air sealing and tongue & groove in weekend cabin

Zone 3, central/south Georgia hot/humid climate 300 sq. ft. weekend cabin with wall unit a/c, on piers (2x10 joists w/R30) with 2x6 stud walls; R19 fiberglass batts; good attention to caulking all seams/cracks and can spray foam around windows, door, penetrations; 1/2" plywood sheathing, 1/2" Rmax; weathermate plus housewrap, then finally cement board siding. Toilet, shower and sink with vent through the exterior wall. This will be a weekend getaway place - not lived in for more than a few days at a time. No washing machine.

Asked By Brad Skeeters | Oct 8 14

We have an old concrete block house that was built in the 50's. What is the best way to insulate and side it?

My grandpa built our house and used a concrete block for the exterior. I don't believe there is much insulation between the drywall and the block and I don't believe that the block was filled with concrete. It is most likely hollow.

We want to add new windows and place siding on the exterior and were thinking of adding furring strips and foam board underneath the insulation but I am worried about the moisture factor. Please advise. (The basement is also uninsulated, unfinished, and is concrete block).
We are located in Montana.

Asked By D B | Oct 7 14

.... alternative fuels heating price calculator ...

Periodically I run the local numbers on EIA.gov's Heating Fuel Comparison Calculator to make my self feel both good or bad. The comparative cost per BTU of wood heat still makes me feel good since I have an efficient Jotul F100 wood stove in my pretty-well insulated and very airtight house. The price of propane BTU's makes me feel less good although I run a very efficient hydronic system using a Triangle Tube boiler (Elite).

Open up this excel program and put in your local numbers. After you put the local price in the column for each fuel type, click on .

Asked By flitch plate | Oct 8 14

Is it OK to use Tapcon anchors to fasten the wood plate to the concrete block?

I`m removing a non-functional 6FT. aluminum sliding door and replacing it with a 3ft. steel entry door. When we removed the old 6ft. door we found that the cement blocks (existing) were all loose,cracked & or broke. and the wood was also rotting. My plan is to make a 2"x 8' step wall out of treated lumber and fasten it to the existing solid blocks with the Tapcons. I`m not sure if it is ok to do this that way. Or if I have to put bolts or rods in with cement the core of the block.

Asked By Herb Mathis | Oct 7 14

Please recommend an under deck ceiling and rain drainage system which is durable and attractive?

I have just completed an all seasons lake front home with a walk out basement leading to a patio below a 10 X 24 ft pressure treated deck with TREX like flooring, I would like to install a long range durable, attractive, rain drainage system as a ceiling under this deck so that the patio may be used during inclement weather. Would appreciate any recommendations.

Asked By JOSEPH POLAND | Oct 4 14

Interior vapour barrier with exterior XPS

I am in the initial stages of house design.

I am thinking of a double 2X4 wall construction with 2": of XPS on the outside to minimize thermal bridging.

My concern here is that building code here in Ontario requires a vapour barrier on the warm side wall

I suspect that the combination of XPS on the outside and 6 ml plastic on the inside will cause any water that might get into the wall cavity to stay there and not have any where to go .

Question : How do I get my wall to dissipate water in this design ?

Steve

Asked By Steve Babcock | Oct 3 14

I am using Roxul insulation for ceiling and walls in a post-and-beam barn home

I plan to use this insulation in a 2x8 ceiling and 2x6 stud walls. Roof is sheathed in OSB, with a Titanium underlayment with standing seam on top. Walls have OSB and Tyvek house wrap. My question is can I use a poly vinyl vapor barrier on the interior after installing the insulation and then cover with 1x6 tongue and groove pine board. I have seen conflicting information on this. We are in Kansas which I think is Zone 6. This is a full post and beam barn structure. It has a gambrel portion with a loft. Loft has 12' high ceilings. Lean to portion has 9' high ceilings.

Asked By David Hauber | Sep 25 14