Exterior doors - steel with magnetic weatherstrip?

We are planning a "pretty-good" house for Zone 4 (Virginia). We are shooting for R-25 walls (using Zip-R 1.5 for the thermal break), R-50 ceiling, and a blower door test of 2.0 ACH 50. The finish will be white trim inside and out, with six-panel doors and a traditional look.

The house has three 36" X 80" outswing exterior doors with a "nine-lite" in the upper half. It also has a 36" X 80" inswing door leading to the garage (no lite), and a 72" X 84" center-hinge inswing patio door (full lite). All the doors are well-sheltered by roof overhangs.

Asked By Mark Harrison | May 10 18

HRV / HVAC engineering help in Ontario

My building inspector came to do my HVAC rough-in inspection today. After he had ignored my e-mails and phone calls for 2 months, I gave up and just bought the Zehnder unit I wanted. The last thing he had said to me was he was "sure it would be fine", and he'd call me back in half an hour (which he never did, called him again and got another promise of a return phone call that never happened). So now he claims he sent an e-mail telling me the Zehnder didn't meet the Ontario building code, and needs a report from an engineer to allow it to pass.

Asked By Trevor Lambert | Apr 26 18

Pondering a ducted attic minisplit air handler to replace the bedroom wall units

Hey everybody, we had an old cat infested 1200sf house in the Boston area gut renovated and have been heating and cooling exclusively with a multi-zone Mitsubishi mini split system, and while it has generally been working well, after two winters and one summer I'm thinking of making some changes. Hoping you can guide me through it.

Asked By User-6986065 | May 8 18

Air sealing options

I'm doing a double stud wall in VT - and am looking into air sealing options.

I have seen people use spray foam around windows and edges and that seems great, but also really expensive for the purpose.

I've read a little about kanuf ecoseal, but that seems a pro-line product, and not something that is easily obtainable.

What are some other options available? Would Prosoco Spray Wrap MVP be something that could be used in a similar fashion (seems I can order that).

Any other suggestions?

Asked By caryfitzhugh | May 10 18

How am I doing?

I just finished the first two weeks of monitoring my water heater. It looks like we're averaging ~5.5kWh/day. There's two adults showering twice a day, and two elementary school aged kids showering every few days. The dishwasher runs about 8-9 times per week. My rough estimates puts us at around an average of 20 gallons of hot water per day.

Can anyone chime in with their usage and family makeup so I can get an idea of home we're doing?

Thanks

Asked By Calum Wilde | May 2 18

The $700 question

I want to beat a dead horse just a little bit more. The horse's name is "Sill Sealer." In our soon to be built house, the difference in cost of materials for sealing the 2x8 plate with the standard pink or blue foam vs. a 7 1/4" x 1/2" Denarco Sill Seal is $700. Is it worth it? Is there a reasonably priced alternative I am missing? I have looked at Protecto Wrap and Weatherbloc products and neither has a 7 1/4" version, though Protecto will custom make one($$$$).

Asked By Kevin Spellman | May 9 18

Exterior foundation waterproofing

I recently had my foundation wall treated with a spray on waterproofer. I noticed a week later that there were little pin pricks throughout the black layer. Some of the pin pricks you can see concrete through. Is this a typical occurrence or should I have the company spray the wall again? I am mostly worried that it will cause the waterproofing to be defective due to moisture instrusion. Thanks!

[Editor's note: Photo below.]

.

Asked By Chris Roche | Jul 16 17

Why is there condensation on my cathedral ceiling?

It’s warm outside (80 degrees) and 75 degrees in the inside thermometer. The roof is in full sun all day so it's hot up there. The is nothing except insulation between the ceiling and roof and the condensation only forms along the beam at the peak of the roof inside.

It’s a split level home with a crawl space under the living room and the finished basement is below the upper level kitchen.

I've attached pictures of the space. Or there also in this link.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/161yTBWD_6da9dcwcNJj-tS6ImCO51MdU9DbE...

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!

Asked By Candi163 | May 9 18

Retrofitting walls with interior vapor barrier?

My house is in climate zone 6a, has 2x6 exterior walls, sheathed with OSB, with batt insulation, and an interior vapor barrier. Is there any way to retrofit these walls with exterior insulation that won't cause issues as they can't dry to the inside?

Asked By Calum Wilde | May 9 18