Garage moisture issues

Our garage is unfinished cement block, and I would like to finish it at some point with insulation and a stud wall. However, I am concerned by the amount of moisture that is currently present in the garage.

The garage is typically very damp and musty. When it rains, there are are discolorations on the walls that I assume are from water being wicked up by the cement (see photo below).

Asked By Cory Kaufman-Schofield | Nov 16 15

Subfloor replaced. Now what? Insulation?

I live on the coast of south Texas and have recently replace the subfloor, will plates and some joists, all due to rot. The contractor added more vents around the house to improve moisture removal, but I'm not convinced that is all that needs to be done. The crawl space is dirt floor with numerous obstacles in place that cannot be removed (remnants of an old chiller system). I was wondering if putting up foam board under the joists would keep out moisture or should we try to encapsulate with closed cell insulation. The house was built in 1937.

Asked By William Mills | Nov 16 15

Accidental deep energy retrofit

I'm doing a gut renovation of a stucco-sided house in the high desert. We changed most of the window sizes to improve the passive solar performance of the house, which means a lot of stucco repairs. Now my contractor is telling me we should remove all the stucco and start from scratch, rather than trying to tie new tar paper to old tar paper at the studs. It'll cost a little more, but we'll get a better result.

Asked By Reanna Alder | Nov 5 15

Exterior foam justification

I'm trying to make a determination about diminishing returns...

Asked By A W | Nov 14 15

XPS versus EPS Underslab Foam

Hi. I am back and forth on whether I should use XPS (blue board) or EPS for the insulation underneath my slab. I understand the qualities of each regarding water absorption and drying out, but would it (XPS particularly) affect the long term performance to the point where the slab is compromised? I also understand the pollution associated with XPS manufacturing. I have the option of purchasing 6" (house in very cold climate) of EPS (R-24) or 4" of XPS (R-20). The EPS is less expensive per inch, however, I need to pay for shipping which jacks up the price.

Asked By Matthew Michaud | May 2 14

Adding foam insulation to the roof on a manufactued home

I have a neighbor here in Vermont who needs a new roof on her 70's doublewide manufactured home. The roof currently has asphalt shingles on OSB. The roof is vented. I thought this might be the perfect opportunity to add some foam insulation on top of the existing sheathing. I can do metal over strapping on top of the insulation or asphalt over another layer of OSB. Which will perform better? Is the payback worth the cost? Currently heating with propane. The roof only has moderate slope. What do I do with the existing vents? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Asked By William Brooks | Nov 16 15

3-story apartment foundations?

Tips for this? Requirements?

Asked By Jose Tribaco | Nov 15 15

True cost of flex duct?

Hey Folks,

I've read many of the reports and advice about flex duct, friction loss, and reduced airflow. What I have not found is how this translates into actual dollars. Can anyone point me in the direction of such a study? Of two systems with one having properly installed rigid duct with short flex runs and the other having rigid trunk and all branch runs in flex with the typical bends, sags, etc. What will be the actual financial operating difference in the two?

Asked By C. Maglio | Nov 15 15

Anyone have experience with Monessen gas fireplaces?

We are interested in this brand and wonder what user feedback is. http://www.monessenhearth.com/Products/Covington-Direct-Vent-Gas-Firepla...

Asked By Joe Suhrada | Nov 15 15

Makeup air for a wood-burning fireplace in a tight home

I am building a tight home with air sealing, R75 cellulose in cold attic floor, excellent Marvin windows, southern exposure and min-splits for heat and cooling. No gas appliances. We intend on using an ERV (Ultimateair) but we have one major extravagance: a Rumford masonry fireplace.

Asked By Joe Suhrada | Oct 16 15