What are people using for a capillary break between their footer and foundation wall?

I am getting ready to break ground and of course their are a few minor details I am figuring last minute. One is the capillary break for the footer. I am building in a heavy clay soil that will most certainly have water. I am torn between painting on dry-loc extreme which is most likely cheaper but not really designed for the purpose, and corsella dorken's product delta-footing barrier which is more expensive and has to be ordered. Are there any other low cost alternatives that function well?

Asked By Dillon Vautrin | Apr 22 16

Minisplit location

Hi all,
Getting ready to order a Daikin ceiling mounted mini split and have some questions on its location to make sure I am going to be able to get even temperatures throughout the house.I am using the ceiling unit because my wife hates the look of the wall units and am going Daikin due to having a family member being able to get me the unit at cost.

Asked By Chris King | Apr 21 16

How far do your innie tilt and turn windows open?

I am finalizing a materials order for a REMOTE wall build with intus tilt and turn windows. Those of you who have installed tilt and turns in the "innie" position: how much of an opening angle have you achieved?

I know that these windows technically have the ability to open a full 180 degrees into the room, but many common installations and trim details seem to stop them at about 90*. I am having some difficulty finding images of installations that allow greater opening angles, and am considering changing plans to an outie install if an opening closer to 180* cannot be accomplished.

Asked By Jim Tyler | Apr 14 16

Zip wall R-6 sheathing plus spray foam or batt

So, I have just framed an addition... 2x6 walls, with zip sheathing with attached r6 insulation. I am in zone 3... Just wondering whether to just fill the cavities with batt or go with open cell spray foam... Having the zip wall taped off well, with good window install, how much benefit I would gain by going with spray foam... The costs are really adding up on my project, just hoping that there wouldn't be a huge negative with going with the batts. Your thoughts?
'

Asked By Dean Sandbo | Apr 21 16

Update on polyiso as a WRB?

Martin did an article on Using Rigid Foam As a Water-Resistive Barrier back in Sep 2010. In it he brought up the possibility that polyiso might shrink over time, so might not be reliable as a WRB even though rated for WRB use. Hoping that 5.5 years later there is enough new information for an update on best practices and practicality of utilizing exterior polyiso as a WRB.

Mitch Costa

Asked By Mitchell Costa | Apr 22 16

To ventilate or not to ventilate?

Greetings all,

I am in the planning process for a new post frame (pole shed) building that will be used primarily as a wood shop. Planning to start construction within the next month.

The building will be insulated (R50 attic floor and R22 walls) and heated in winter - northern boundary of zone 6. When not in use, the building will be kept mid 40's. Warm up to working temps will be air-tight wood stove drawing outside combustion air.

Asked By Greg Smith | Apr 21 16

Spam

I see GBA is being attacked by spam. I don't want to give this more attention than it deserves, but can someone tell me why this occurs? What benefit is there to whoever fills the Q and A with this content? If my question is some way aids them, please delete it.

Asked By Malcolm Taylor | Apr 21 16

Is thermal bridging through a solid wood door a big deal?

We are going to be renovating our 1888 home to "pretty good" standards. I wasn't planning on doing anything to the original solid wood front door besides refinishing, squaring up and rehanging (but I'll pay attention to air sealing as much as possible - we are striving for <1.0 ACH). I am not so concerned about the energy losses caused by the thermal bridge but am a little concerned about creating a condition that causes the door to deteriorate (due to moisture or other reasons).

What, if anything, could happen to the door?

Asked By Alok Khuntia | Apr 20 16

USA New Wall & Swedish platform framing

I recently came across Greg La Vardera’s website http://blog.lamidesign.com

Although I have read much on energy efficient wall types here, I haven’t noticed any comments on the USA New Wall. I am interested in other peoples opinion on this construction and how it compares to other energy efficient wall types. (I am thinking about the Building Science Corp s list of walls and how they score relative to each other -http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/high-r-value-wall-assemblies )

Asked By Mitchell Daniels | Nov 12 13

Run furnace blower or HRV?

We are building a home is southeastern Michigan. It will have 3 110cfm bath fans (one in basement bathroom) and one 80 cfm bath fan (toilet room) and a 400 cfm hood range. I am concerned about air quality, as we a building a very tight house. Our HVAC contractor has said that he can simply program the furnace to run the blower every 1/2 hour to bring in more air which would be filtered. I believe he will also have a scuttle installed on the furnace. What are your thoughts? Most of the HVAC professionals I have talked to say that HRV systems don't work that well anyways. Thank you!

Asked By Carolyn Farrow | Apr 20 16