GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Window help!

pensiveblue | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Hello,

We are in the process of renovating our fixer upper. It is a home built in 1986, with original windows, that are in terrible shape. We have started to do some research and simply put we are not sure what to pick. Every message board has so many conflicting opinions on brands, type of window, etc. We live in Colorado, where the altitude makes the sun very strong, and we get a lot of sun year round. We are looking to get windows that will last in the harsh elements we get here and also be green. It is also very important that they don’t leek any chemicals into the house interior, like I have heard about vinyl. We need something that is durable, safe,energy efficient, low maintenance, blocks as much of the sun as possible and will be cost effective. So far we have narrowed it down to Andersen 100 series. Is there anything better out there? Thank you!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Christina,
    Of course there are better windows available than Andersen 100 series windows. You may be happy with Andersen 100 windows, however, if you like the price.

There are lots of factors that come to mind. Here are four of them:

1. Glazing. If you want triple glazing, you won't find it in an Andersen 100 window.

2. Frame and sash material. You evidently don't like vinyl. I'm partial to fiberglass, but some people like wood windows. If you choose a wood window, get one with exterior vinyl cladding or exterior aluminum cladding.

3. Warranty and service history.

4. Price.

There are lots of other factors beyond these four, including aesthetics and delivery time. So no one is going to be able to choose a window but you.

If all you care about is performance, choose triple-glazed windows with fiberglass frames from a Canadian manufacturer. Of course, some people think that these windows are too expensive or ugly. Or choose super-expensive Passivhaus-certified windows from Germany or Austria. Of course, some people think that the delivery delays and lack of quick service from European manufacturers makes this choice absurd.

It's up to you.

2. pensiveblue | | #2

Thanks for your fast reply Martin! The two biggest factors affecting our purchase are performance-price. Any brand recommendations? And is there a difference between fiber glass and composite? Thank you!

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Christina,
    "Composite" can mean almost anything. It just means that the material is made up of many ingredients or layers.

Fiberglass window frames are made from pultruded fiberglass -- the same material used to make fiberglass ladders.

When it comes to window performance, the most important component is the glazing. If you have two identical-looking windows from the same manufacturer side by side, one can perform very well, and the other can perform very poorly -- simply because the windows have different types of glazing.

Here is an article on specifying glazing: All About Glazing Options.

4. dsmcn | | #4

It occurs to me that since you will be replacing existing windows, custom sizing may also be important to you. Most of the major manufacturers limit choices to increments of various degrees. Also, you will likely prefer windows that can be installed without removing the siding.

The choice I am making is Intus windows. They are triple glazed, incredibly efficient, I can specify the size to within 1/16", and the sashes can be significantly larger than other windows, eliminating the need to have separate transoms above the primary window in a 9' ceiling for example.

Since these are made in Europe, they install anywhere in the wall, and do not use nail fins. Sills can be ordered for a custom fit.

I am choosing the vinyl product, because I can get all of this for a price that is competitive with almost any dual-glazed clad window around here. I've traveled to D.C. to look at the product, and the quality of the vinyl is superior to what I have seen in domestic options. It can also be covered on the exterior &/or interior with a foil for a look that is very nice. They also make other windows for a more premium price.

I do not have any affiliation with the company in any way, shape or form. I am just excited that I can have these specs at an affordable price.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |