GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Nailbase SIP vs. rigid foam retrofit cost?

Matt70 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Posed question before about doing 4″ of rigid foam on sheathing of 2X4 walls. Been reading and am interested in possibility of nailbase SIPs from company like Premier SIPs. These sound like wonderful products (I’m a big fan of SIP construction).

Question boils down to whether this is in fact a cost effective and efficient means of retro insulating external walls as opposed to doing two layers of 2″ attached with furring strips? Zone 4A home. As far as labor goes, I can see a real benefit of savings. Just wondering about material cost differences. Especially as I would like to make this a DIY project done in sections.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Matt,
    Only you can make this determination. The answer depends on the local cost of materials (including shipping costs) and your labor estimates. It's time to sharpen your pencil.

2. user-1119462 | | #2

Its been 15 years and I no longer have the actual numbers, but we found the sheer efficiency (speed and consistency) of installation of Thermolok nail base SIPs plus the merits of proper tongue-and-groove like nylon reinforced edge joins comfortably overcame the nominal cheapness of doubled polystyrene foam boards with strapping.

I am with Martin - it depends on the facts locally and the current costs delivered to site. Note that it is COLD here in winter, and hot and humid in summer. Tough climate, so one always goes with the most robust affordable solution.

Tony.

3. dankolbert | | #3

For us it really came down to what you were putting on over it. If you're installing shingles or something else that needs frequent, random nailing, nailbase was the clear winner. But for most other choices, rigid and strapping made more sense.

4. Matt70 | | #4

Thanks everyone for the info. One is always hopeful to find fast and easy solutions, though they never exist in reality. I do like the product, but the area I live it is doubtful to find suppliers to keep shipping costs minimal. I'm 2 hours from every major city in any direction. Luckily I have a Lowe's close by, but honestly I make every attempt to give my money to smaller operations. I will discuss nailbase panels with a small building supply business close at hand I try to buy from to see what they may be able to come up with. Most likely I will have to resort to more labor intense rigid foam and furring approach. Nothing wrong with this method, and in reality it will most likely work out cheaper in material. Labor is mostly going to be myself and some buddies. Unless I hire a contractor I trust for trickier build-outs of doors or windows to assure no issues with sealing/flashing.

To keep expenses low, I've planned to do house in sections. Am experimenting with making my own engineered stone. So, plan to spread aspects of the re-cladding of my home with insulation in stages to keep from sinking into debt large. Rather do it right and as money is available. Will see if this works out as I hope. Have to try.

Again, thanks for the input everyone. I will update site if something significant comes from research and work.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |