GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Cost of a corrugated roof for a 1200 s.f. house?

Glenda Green | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I’m working with a design-build firm in Oregon and my builder doesn’t want to use corrugated metal for the roof, saying it’s way more expensive than regular standard roofing material. Is this true?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

S. Bonte,
    I have no idea what you mean by "regular standard roofing material." But if you want to know how much a certain type of roofing costs, there is only one way to find out: call local roofing contractors.

2. mackstann | | #2

I'll assume by "regular" you mean asphalt shingles. Yes, metal roofs are generally more expensive than asphalt shingles.

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

There are also several types of corrugated metal roofs. The price per sheet for galvalum is usually about 2/3 the price of those with a Kynar finish.

4. ronjohnsonusa | | #4

Metal roofing is always more expensive than shingles but it does last a lifetime and requires no maintenance. But you need to weigh the cost for yourself - I believe metal roofing is 3 times more expensive.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |