GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Porch Roof Skylight

Bowler222 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I’m looking for suggestions from the GBA readers for a cost effective way to let some light in through a farmer’s porch roof. I am currently in the process of building my house which includes a farmers porch on the front/south face of the building. The roof is in front of the kitchen and dining area. I’d like to add some light to these rooms, particularly in the winter but block unwanted solar gain in the summer. My initial thought was to install a skylight and locate it strategically for solar gain in the winter but not in the summer. Since the unit would be installed in a open air porch it need not be operable or even energy efficient (if single pane glass units existed I’d go with that). Maybe the cost of a skylight is unnecessary? Perhaps I could build my own frame and install a pane of plexiglass? Is that too cheap/cheesy looking? Any suggestions to accomplish my goal would be greatly appreciated!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |