GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Non-toxic, waterproof spray sealant available for drop ceilings?

mcrugg | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

My landlord put in a drop ceiling in the unventilated bathroom of a ca. 1940s house. The ceiling above remains intact (though should have been removed because of damage from a water leak that has been fixed; the drop ceiling was a quick fix, though hardly ideal given bathrooms are damp).

The chemical smell from the panels is overwhelming and is affecting my breathing. I have a window fan to exhaust the air, but with winter coming this will not be feasible for long and I will have to use a dehumidifier, though that creates heat and increases the toxic smell.

Is there a non-toxic, low VOC, waterproof sealant I can spray on the drop panels that will provide a waterproof barrier (since the pulp tiles will absorb moisture) and reduce the smell, but that will not have a negative reaction with whatever chemicals may be in the porous drop panels? Thank you.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jo,
    I don't know of any sealant that will perform as you describe.

2. mcrugg | | #2

Sigh. Will a silicone spray work?

3. user-884554 | | #3

Jo,
    You mentioned the old ceiling was left in place after a water leak had been fixed. Depending on the severity of the leak, or more importantly how long it had been leaking, there could be a mold issue that is sensitizing you. As you mentioned, bathrooms are damp and dampness can exacerbate mold problems. Its worth checking anyway as it may be the source of your discomfort. With regard to the dropped ceiling tiles, have you invited the landlord in to experience the odor? I wouldn't simply dismiss it as something you have to live with. Stay after him/her.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |