GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How bad is MDG?

user-2310254 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

My builder installed MDG from TLC Mouldings. The specs call for MDF with
no added formaldehyde, but I did not remind him. Argh. How bad is
regular MDF? Should I rip it out, coat with an absorbent primer, move
to another country? My rater suggested heating the house to 80 degrees
for two weeks to cook the formaldehyde out. Thoughts?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Steve,
    I don't know the answer to your question, but it seems clear that you prefer the specified material.

If your specifications are clear, and the builder is at fault, then the builder must correct the error at the builder's expense.

2. Siffe | | #2

Steve, are you sure it's not CARB-compliant MDF? A peek at their web site indicates otherwise (Documents/Eco-Certified Composite (ECC) Acceptance Letter). A call to them would give you an answer pretty quickly.

3. user-2310254 | | #3

Hi Ed:

I called TLC Moulding, which is a fabricator, and the sales director told me the material is supplied by a sister plant. All material from the plant should be CARB 2 (0.11 PPM). That's not zero VOC, but it's better than would have been the case a few years ago. My walls are covered with Certainteed's formaldehyde absorbing drywall, so I'm keeping my finger's crossed that the air quality will be acceptable.

4. Siffe | | #4

I wouldn't worry too much, Steve. CARB 2 is certainly better than the lot of products out there that are only CARB 1. Also the paint/stain will help reduce any emissions, of course provided they are also no/low VOC.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |