All this talk about ductless minisplits is making me dizzy. If a forced air furnace gives a bad atmosphere in a building, doesn't a minisplit per room just give many bad atmospheres?

Dana reminded me on another post that a forced air furnace increases infiltration/exfiltration. Well, why doesn't a minisplit heater or cooler do the same?

Asked By flitch plate | Aug 19 14

We are doing rigid foam on 4500 sq. ft. of exterior walls at 4" thick and 4500 sq. ft. of roof at 8" thick in a REMOTE application.

We are attempting to find the best value for our exterior foam insulation.

So far the best value ($26 for 2"x4'x8') we could find was NeoPro TK. Seems to be a new product so not a lot of info on this "revolutionary" new material. http://www.permarproducts.com/insulsheathing.html

Our previous first choice was Foamular 250 http://www.foamular.com/foam/products/foamular-250.aspx, until we started getting quotes ($34 for 2"x4'8').

Asked By Eric Burhop | Aug 20 14

Not including the cost of the blower door test itself, I am looking for a ROM materials and labor cost per ft-2 to seal up a conventional 2 x 4 framed house, sheathed, sided, windows, doors, stud bays, lid, etc.....?

If someone that has done it can estimate labor hours to get to 5-7 ACH-@ 50 I can factor my local labor rate. Please include the trail and errors, IR and smoke back and forth, etc. Or if you sealed up some ft-2 home let me know how long it took...

Asked By Terry Lee | Aug 20 14

Hi

I'm new here, and I really appreciate all the great information that has been provided by GBA and its users.

I've been reading a lot about cathedral ceiling insulation, and it seems like it is a fine line between success and disaster when it comes to moisture control. So now I have a few questions myself that I hope someone could help me answer.

Asked By Chris Jensen | Aug 18 14

I'm helping a homeowner improve his 1974 ranch, zone 5 Ohio. Attic currently has 6" of cellulose, no air sealing. Blower door results were predictably awful. After removing all recessed light fixtures and fully air sealing the attic floor, I'll be adding more cellulose. There are no mechanicals in the attic, except for a plumbing vent and a little wiring.

Question: are there any potential problems in simply blowing in more cellulose? Even up to touching the roof sheathing near the eaves? (It wouldn't take much, in fact, to completely fill the attic, if one was inclined..)

Asked By Andy Chappell-Dick | Aug 20 14

From all the reading I have done, am I correct that I don't want to use closed-cell and need to use open-cell spray foam in the band areas of floor joists of the basement to 1st and 1st to 2nd floor areas when I have used polyiso sheathing on the outside of the walls?

I believe that is correct because of the perm is so low for the polyiso and you don't want to use another very low-perm product like closed-cell spray foam sandwiching the Zip wall sheathing. I'm just confirming if I read everything correctly.

Asked By john bell | Sep 19 12

I am preparing my attic for some additional insulation and was wondering what the consensus is on this subject. I currently have a fair amount of plywood flooring in my attic, installed over R19 fiberglass batts that were laid in between 2X6 ceiling joists. The batts are faced, installed with the paper side down (towards the ceiling sheetrock). I was planning to blow cellulose over these floored areas, leaving the plywood in place, but I thought I better be sure there wouldn't be issues with moisture, etc. Does the plywood need to come up or can I go over it with the celullose?

Asked By Tommy Detamore | Aug 19 14

So, My AC system died last spring, and I was prepping to put new windows (impact resistant, low e) in my house... My house is approx 2200 sq.ft in Florida, south of Tampa... Zone 2A

I had a 4 ton system, and knew that would be too big as a replacement, but my HVAC tech replaced it with what was here and said he could tune it... Now my house averages 55%rh or higher... Up into mid 66-67...

Asked By Chris Marriner | Aug 18 14

Hi all,

I would like folks to offer any advice/criticism on the following wall and roof assemblies from a moisture control standpoint as well as any other concerns they might have. In addition I have a few specific questions on HVAC options. I know that many of my concerns have been addressed in various Q&A's but it is the specific circumstances that I am concerned about here.

Asked By Lowell Garner | Aug 20 14

I had R60 blown into my 1000sqft attic where there was previously only about R11. Baffles were installed in almost every roof rafter. Air sealing of attic floor was performed. This is a low pitch asphalt shingled hip roof over the whole house.

Asked By Jeff Watson | Jul 12 14