GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Dishwashers for small families

jwilson7 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

What’s the most energy efficient approach for washing dishes for a family of 2?
We dirty 2 place settings (2 dinner plates, 2 bowls and 2 small plates)/day. Our dishwasher holds 5 or 6 days of dishes. We only own 6 place settings, not enough to run a full load.

We live in a condo, don’t pay for water usage (hot or cold).

Currently we wash by hand and use the dishwasher as a drying rack. We probably run the dish washer a couple of times a year.

I wonder if one of the new drawer-sized dish washers would work better. We’re planning construction on a weekend home where we would only generate one full load a month.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jeff,
    In case you missed it, here is a link to a relevant article: All About Dishwashers.

2. jwilson7 | | #2

Hi Martin,

It was this very article that prompted my question. I see photos of full dishwashers and note, we don't own that many dishes and if we did it would take a week to fill our dishwasher.

3. mackstann | | #3

I would suspect that a CEE Tier 3 dishwasher with "top rack only" option would be the best bang for the buck. Perhaps a narrower model too.

Drawer units might be a good option, though I believe they carry a price premium.

Another option is a countertop dishwasher, but they are generally low end no-name brands and have no efficiency ratings. They also hook up to the faucet, which is annoying. I imagine they're mostly meant for apartments where you can't install a dishwasher.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |