Helpful? 0

I am building a LEED home and want to know what to use for a capillary break between the footing and foundation wall.

Concrete contractor has never did this before.

Asked by Jack Achs
Posted Wed, 03/26/2014 - 22:03


1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Here are some options:
1. Dampproofing
2. Low-permeability paint -- for example, UGL DryLock latex masonry paint
3. Elastomeric paint
4. Delta Footing Barrier.

Some builders have used 6-mil poly, although poly isn't easy to work with in this location. (Then again, asphaltic dampproofing isn't easy to work with either.)

Here is a link to a relevant video: Installing a capillary break on top of concrete footings.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 03/27/2014 - 04:45

Other Questions in Green products and materials

In PassivHaus | Asked by Terry Lee | Aug 20, 14
In General questions | Asked by Tommy Detamore | Aug 21, 14
In GBA Pro help | Asked by keith ahlstrom | Aug 21, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Anthony Hughes | Aug 8, 14
In General questions | Asked by flitch plate | Aug 19, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!