Helpful? 0

Raft slab detail

I'm trying to get pricing and supply information for a proprietary insulated footer for a raft slab.

I'm in British Columbia. Does anyone know where I can buy such a product locally?

Asked by erik olofsson
Posted Tue, 04/01/2014 - 15:40
Edited Tue, 04/01/2014 - 16:10

Tags:

4 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Erik,
Most North American builders either assemble the raft slab insulation / concrete forms out of rectangular EPS components, or locate an EPS manufacturer that will cut custom shapes to order.

For more information on raft slabs, see Foam Under Footings.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Tue, 04/01/2014 - 16:17

Helpful? 0

There is a proprietary insulated raft slab available in Canada. http://www.legalett.ca/

Just beware of the presence of a thermal bridge due to thin insulation along the outside perimeter if you're seeking passive house level of insulation. Else like Martin mentionned, have your EPS cut to your spec. A search on "Darcy Bean super insulated slab" might help you visualize the various necessary foam pieces.

Answered by Marc Labrie
Posted Tue, 04/01/2014 - 20:35

Helpful? 0

I'm looking to use Legalett for my own house build, hopefully soon. As I'm having 3" Roxul Comfortboard IS+ a rainscreen gap on the outside of the frame I will thicken up the EPS on the outside perimeter. My experience with Legalett so far has been very good.

Answered by Ray Smith
Posted Tue, 04/01/2014 - 23:33

Helpful? 0

thanks guys, that legalett product looks pretty tight

Answered by erik olofsson
Posted Wed, 04/02/2014 - 02:05

Other Questions in Green products and materials

In General questions | Asked by Steve Young | Aug 16, 14
In Green building techniques | Asked by jordan Saunders | Sep 1, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jason Haché | Aug 29, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Matthew Michaud | May 2, 14
In Green products and materials | Asked by Brett Michaels | Sep 1, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!