EPS and butyl rubber

I had a question regarding a roof SIP and GRACE Ultra Peel & Stick - Butyl Based Membrane. The SIP has an EPS core and my concern is when a fastener punctures the peel & stick membrane, the rubberized butyl gets into the EPS core. It is a rubberized asphalt type of product. Since petroleum and EPS don't mix, will this cause a problem?

I read that petroleum based products can eat away at EPS and literally melt it. Will this be a problem with GRACE peel & stick on the SIP roof with an EPS core?

Asked by Peter L
Edited Thu, 04/03/2014 - 06:44

1.

Peter,
Butyl-based peel-and-stick products are entirely different from rubberized-asphalt peel-and-stick projects. They use a butyl adhesive and, as far as I know, do not contain asphalt.

If you have any further questions on compatibility, you should direct your questions to the technical help hotline at Grace: 800-444-6459.

In Mechanicals | Asked by Chris Marriner | Aug 18, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Anthony Hughes | Aug 20, 14
In Green building techniques | Asked by Stephen Youngquist | Aug 21, 14
In General questions | Asked by flitch plate | Aug 19, 14
In Green products and materials | Asked by Eric Burhop | Aug 20, 14