I live in the Northeast and have ice dam issues

I am having the attic insulated. I am getting conflicting answers re the attic joists. Should they be sealed and insulated? One contractor says no as needs to stay cold to prevent ice dams. Another says yes should be sealed and a radiant barrier added then blow in insulation. Who is right?

Asked By Robert Takvorian | Mar 6 15

Who remembers Fred Lugano?

Fred over a break time pushed for air sealing years before the rest of us and passive house. Other smart folks missng now... Michael Chandler, and Robert Riversong... Many more right....

Asked By aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Mar 6 15

Recommended taping of plywood and foam layers

I am building a small casita (500 sq. ft.) in Northern California in a mild climate with hot summers. My wall framing is 2x4 w/ 3/8 continuous plywood shear (also insulated w/ R-13 fiberglass batt insul.), which I will cover with two layers of 1/1/2" Polyiso (Firestone) insulation (has fiberglass reinforced face). I will cover everything with Tyvek housewrap and fasten 1x4 battens creating a rainscreen, and attach lath and plaster as an exterior finish to the battens.

Asked By Dan Burgoyne | Mar 5 15

PERSIST - Vapor open or closed Insulation and WRB?

So I just got back from Building Energy 15' - what a great conference! I had a few conversations about various vapor barriers, insulation and how each works with the PERSIST technique. I wanted your feedback though......

Asked By brad hardie | Mar 6 15

Basement is too cold, need help in insulation

Hi,
I live on the border or CT and MA. My basement is around 47 degrees. I have my basement roof insulated with R30 batt insulation. When I measured the temperature of my basement walls, above grade part is coming around 35-40 degrees and below grade is about 40-45 degrees, my basement floor is around 45-50 degrees. I put durashield paint on the basement walls to prevent from moisture ( I did not have too much moisture but I still wanted to avoid any future issues), similarly I painted my floor with two part epoxy.

Asked By Amit Jindal | Feb 16 15

Why is it so trendy to hate on radiant in-floor heat?

I recently built a 2000 square foot house in climate zone 7. The building is two stories on a slab heated by a Navien 240a combination boiler. There is no heat source on the second story, and the simple system has only one zone, which is all it needs because all the rooms in the house stay at the same temperature--maybe it's a few degrees cooler in the upstairs bedrooms if the doors are shut for 24 hours or more. I spent just over five grand on the heating system--installed--although I got a tankless water heater in the process, so the real cost was more like $3500. How is that overkill?

Asked By Josh Jipson | Mar 1 15

Vented & unvented in same roof plane?

Hopefully you can all see this attached glass-house view of my proposed roof.

http://i.imgur.com/rEkixfa.jpg

The open attic at the bottom right of the photo allows plenty of room to super-insulate, same too with the open attic above the 2nd floor ceiling, up in the top left/center of the photo. The sloped roof though poses a problem for super-insulation levels, just not enough depth. What I'd like to minimize is a path of least thermal resistance which would circumvent the high insulation levels in the open attics and favor "Easy" migration through the sloped roof section.

Asked By Alex House | Mar 3 15

Insulated slab details for zone 7 walkout

My build is in Kenora Onrtario Canada (zone 7). The basement is a walkout; I need to incorporate a sewage lift station under the floor to pump (shower/toilet/sink and washing machine) water up to my septic
I need to know how to detail the insulation and poly layer under the concrete.
Do I insulate the sides and bottom of the hole the tank (110 gallon) goes into; if so do the joints have to be taped like building an foam box; I can't have the sewage freezing in the tank! Is that even a concern?

Asked By tim brown | Mar 5 15

Condensation in (conditioned space) attic, built to "environmental standards"

I am in need of a (seasoned) building consultant, familiar with New England climate, able to make an "on site" evaluation in Guilford, Ct. 06437, for an attic space that was built to environmental standards and is a conditioned space) -- air conditioning, HRVs, etc etc., for a client that has environmental allergies -- mold, fabric softener, petrochemical products etc.

There is condensation from the attic space, with leakage of water into and onto the first floor after one year. Thank you in advance. We need help.

Asked By herbert suesserman MD | Mar 5 15

Insulation around a center chimney -- cape?

How would one insulate around the chimney in the attached pics? Would I start at the ceiling and just put a bunch of Roxul around it? How could air sealing work? Fireblock foam?

Bonus question: Is it too late to double stud these walls?

https://picasaweb.google.com/107236736120604165034/Farmcape2?authkey=Gv1...

Asked By stephen edge | Mar 4 15