Mini split advice

Climate Zone 5, Oakland County Michigan, building starting in July
2357 sq ft ranch, 2357 sq ft walkout basement.
2x6 walls dense pack cellulose, 3 inches exterior mineral wool
R60 ceiling insulation
Superior wall foundation for backfilled walls
R 7 Windows from Klearwall
Have access to natural gas but prefer to go electric if possible.

Thought I'd try and get your thoughts Dana and others on our Heating and Cooling plan. We just had a Manual J calculation done:

Total heating required including ventilation air: 37,561 Btuh

Asked By Brian W | Jun 22 16

Low temperature heat pumps

Ductless Minisplits are no longer the only answer to efficient heating in relatively cold climates!
There are, finally, air handlers that allow a fully ducted air to air heat pump system for small heat requirements in cold climates! Mitsubshi now offers the MVZ series, 12,000BTU/h,18,0000BTU/h,24,000BTU/h,30,000BTU/h,and 36,000BTU/h ducted air handlers that pair with their MXZ-C hyperheat outdoor units and together offer 80% + of rated heat output at -13degrees f.

Asked By Jerry Liebler | May 7 16

Insulating above a garage roof

Location: Western NC, zone 4, mixed humid
Elevation 2000 ft
Roof: slope 2:12, standing seam.
Attic: formed with trusses and unvented
House roof insulation: Polyiso nailbase R15 min above the deck, netted BIBs below.

Asked By Jeremy Turner | Jun 30 16

I am thinking of an unvented cathedral ceiling

Hi. I am thinking of an unvented cathedral ceiling. Living in Hazelton, BC (Zone 4A, I believe), and would like advice on my proposed insulation plan. Staring from the underside: vapour-retarding paint; sealed gypsum board; 3/4" strapping; 2" or 3" Roxul board.

I would like to achieve at least an R50.

Asked By Mike Tomlinson | Jun 24 16

Unvented cathedral ceiling — insulating from above

I am re-doing my family room roof, which is a cathedral ceiling.

Since the roof is being re-shingled, I thought it a good time to remove the sheathing and lay down some closed cell foam. I have some unopened from a previous project

Everything I've read about unvented Cathedral ceilings talk about them drying from the inside. Obviously this can't happen if I'm spray in the closed cell foam onto the dry wall ceiling from above

The ceiling is 8" from drywall to plywood

Asked By Paul Buchkowski | Jun 25 16

How efficient are recirculating kitchen range hoods with carbon filters at removing air pollutants from cooking?

I looked at a few of these filters for the recirculating range hoods and they didn't look all that impressive, but maybe I am looking at the wrong hoods. If passive houses are using recirculating hoods how well are the hoods actually working. Clearly there is a tradeoff for energy efficiency and range hood function. Is there any specific data on this? Are there certain types of carbon filters that work better than others? I am not talking about removing moisture or CO from gas ranges but more grease and other pollutants produced when cooking with electric ranges and ovens.

Asked By Dillon Vautrin | Dec 16 15

How to work with a very deep truss in vaulted ceiling.

Hello dear friends, as you will see in the attached drawing I am looking at about an 8 foot run of 22" deep truss over my living roof before my ceiling flattens out to catch the height of the second story ceiling in the back of the house.

Asked By Barry Reicker | Jun 29 16

Vapor barrier

Am looking into building ICF homes in another country. My question is they do not generally heat and air condition their homes due to high energy cost. It is warm and humid and am not sure what, if any vapor barrier should be used in the roof area.

Asked By Thomas Webster | Jun 29 16

Trying to source 3/4 inch thick coroplast in Maine

Has anyone had luck in sourcing thicker coroplast sheets near Maine?
The one sign maker i contacted said his vendor will only supply full units and not single 4x8 sheets...

Asked By kevin freeman | Jun 30 16

woodshop super-ventilation: Any reason to air seal / insulate?

I'm building a 900 sqft woodshop outside of Portland, OR (Climate Zone 4c).

Based on Bill Pentz's research, the best way to avoid fine dust-related health problems is to ventilate all sanding/cutting tools to the outside with ~ 1000 CFM of air, which is enough flow to fully change the shop air every 7 minutes.
Recirculating air filters don't cut it for fine dust --- it has to vent outside.

Taking this airflow as a given, is there any reason to:

1) Worry about air-sealing the shop wall envelope? (There will be an open garage door or intake fan providing makeup air.)

Asked By Kevin Lynagh | Jun 30 16