Insulation in renovated home

Working at the World Trade Center site for several months I was exposed to many toxins. Now that I am renovating my new home I would like it to be as healthy as possible. Thankfully I have yet to be ill and would like to stay that way. What are my best options for safely insulating my home? I thank all in advance for any help.

Asked by KURT MAURER
Posted May 13, 2014 8:51 PM ET
Edited May 14, 2014 5:32 AM ET

1.

Kurt,
There isn't any evidence that properly installed insulation materials pose any health hazard.

If you feel that you may be chemically sensitive, you may want to purchase samples of insulation and place small amounts of the insulation in glass jars. Place the glass jars in the sun for a few hours, and then open their lids and give the contents a sniff. If any of these materials give off smells that irritate you, you may want to avoid them.

When spray foam insulation is improperly installed -- a rare but possible occurrence -- some homeowners have complained of problems with lingering odors, and some have had health complaints. These cases are quite rare, but are devastating for the homeowners when they occur.

Posted May 14, 2014 3:43 AM ET

Where to find energy star floor plans?

In General questions | Asked by Billy Clontz | Feb 14, 16

Sealing and insulating hatchway to vented attic

In Green building techniques | Asked by David Martin | Feb 12, 16

Im looking for a energy expert in the Richmond Va area

In Mechanicals | Asked by steve stemper | Feb 14, 16

EVR Temp settings

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Tommy Barrett | Feb 14, 16

Rim Joist Insulation: No Wood Sill Plate - Influence on Rigid Foam

In Green products and materials | Asked by Scott Fillery | Feb 13, 16