Insulation in renovated home

Working at the World Trade Center site for several months I was exposed to many toxins. Now that I am renovating my new home I would like it to be as healthy as possible. Thankfully I have yet to be ill and would like to stay that way. What are my best options for safely insulating my home? I thank all in advance for any help.

Asked by KURT MAURER
Edited Wed, 05/14/2014 - 05:32

1.

Kurt,
There isn't any evidence that properly installed insulation materials pose any health hazard.

If you feel that you may be chemically sensitive, you may want to purchase samples of insulation and place small amounts of the insulation in glass jars. Place the glass jars in the sun for a few hours, and then open their lids and give the contents a sniff. If any of these materials give off smells that irritate you, you may want to avoid them.

When spray foam insulation is improperly installed -- a rare but possible occurrence -- some homeowners have complained of problems with lingering odors, and some have had health complaints. These cases are quite rare, but are devastating for the homeowners when they occur.

Wet OSB - how much water can it take?

In General questions | Asked by colleen1 runyen | Dec 17, 14

Is this furnace venting/leaking problem as bad as it looks?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Nathaniel G | Dec 20, 14

Is a gas fireplace blower fan an energy-efficient investment?

In General questions | Asked by W. Timothy Ward | Dec 20, 14

Polyiso for basement

In Green building techniques | Asked by sr kod | Dec 20, 14

Ventilating

In Mechanicals | Asked by Vishy S | Dec 21, 14