Spruce versus pine species for exterior siding

Hi. I was originally planning on using horizontally placed pine boards for my house siding. Due to the time of year, there is a shortage of local pine and will not be accessible in the time frame I need. My local wood mill can provide spruce. He's used it on his house and it has held up nicely. My plan is to back prime and use a solid stain on the exterior regardless of species (and use 3/4" strapping behind it. Any experience with using spruce, its qualities and characteristics and is it good for this type of application? Thanks.

Asked by Matthew Michaud

1.

Spruce is second only to cedar as a premium wood for clapboards & shingles. It tends to have less resin to bleed though the paints/stains than most species of pine, and in some climates can be left to weather naturally sans-finish like cedar. Like any timber product it's available in several quality grades, but if you get the good stuff it makes excellent siding- more rugged than cedar to dents & dings, but similar weathering qualities.

2.

I was told that I didn't need strapping behind, as will have an airspace behind each board. Although, with it being clapboard, the top edge will be making contact with the house wrap.. Should I have one regardless?

Answered by Matthew Michaud

3.

Matthew,
It's your choice. Your paint job will probably last longer if you include a rainscreen gap. For more information, see All About Rainscreens.

4.

Where I am all pine claps are spruce pine never eastern white or southern yellow or old growth red...

Back priming is worth doing. Pre-coat for new construction. Rain screen is good but is another cost we add optionally. Customer preference.

Half insulating stone basement

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Geoffrey Cook | Oct 31, 14

Minimum R-values for exterior foam for 2x6 walls

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Craig Steinman | Oct 30, 14

How to seal 4" EPS foam at slab edge (radon concerns)?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by e c | Oct 29, 14

Pipe leak in basement

In General questions | Asked by Andrew Sirianni | Oct 31, 14

Foam insulation question for 100-year-old brick home

In Green building techniques | Asked by Wes Leland | Oct 30, 14