Spruce versus pine species for exterior siding

Hi. I was originally planning on using horizontally placed pine boards for my house siding. Due to the time of year, there is a shortage of local pine and will not be accessible in the time frame I need. My local wood mill can provide spruce. He's used it on his house and it has held up nicely. My plan is to back prime and use a solid stain on the exterior regardless of species (and use 3/4" strapping behind it. Any experience with using spruce, its qualities and characteristics and is it good for this type of application? Thanks.

Asked by Matthew Michaud
Posted May 16, 2014 4:59 PM ET

1.

Spruce is second only to cedar as a premium wood for clapboards & shingles. It tends to have less resin to bleed though the paints/stains than most species of pine, and in some climates can be left to weather naturally sans-finish like cedar. Like any timber product it's available in several quality grades, but if you get the good stuff it makes excellent siding- more rugged than cedar to dents & dings, but similar weathering qualities.

Posted May 16, 2014 6:25 PM ET

2.

I was told that I didn't need strapping behind, as will have an airspace behind each board. Although, with it being clapboard, the top edge will be making contact with the house wrap.. Should I have one regardless?

Answered by Matthew Michaud
Posted May 17, 2014 8:32 AM ET

3.

Matthew,
It's your choice. Your paint job will probably last longer if you include a rainscreen gap. For more information, see All About Rainscreens.

Posted May 17, 2014 9:01 AM ET

4.

Where I am all pine claps are spruce pine never eastern white or southern yellow or old growth red...

Back priming is worth doing. Pre-coat for new construction. Rain screen is good but is another cost we add optionally. Customer preference.

Posted May 17, 2014 11:45 AM ET

Insulation for 1:12 standing seam metal roof

In General questions | Asked by Kevin Hoene | Jul 22, 15

Insulating a wall that is exterior on 2nd floor, interior on 1st.

In General questions | Asked by Clay Whitenack | Jul 28, 15

Pretty Good House in Iowa

In Green building techniques | Asked by Thomas R | Jul 27, 15

How much energy does the evaporator coil waste?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Jonathan Dalton | Jul 28, 15

Insulate ducts in conditioned basement?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jeremy M | Jul 27, 15