New Unvented Attic and High Humidity

Last year after a severe hailstorm the attic insulation and the entire roof deck of my 1600 sqft ranch style home in Fort Calhoun, NE was replaced. With the replacement we upgraded the insulation to Open Cell Icynene spray foam on roof decking. The spray foam is at least 6-8 inches on the roof, and covers the sidewalls, soffits, and attached garage ceiling. This completely closes in the attic to the thermal envelope of the house. I've been monitoring the relative humidity levels of the house for the last year.

Asked By Nick Schuler | Jun 30 15

Foundation capillary break & waterproofing

My wife and I are building a small home (First Day Cottage) on a full foundation with a walkout on the downhill end. I read about having a capillary break between the footing and foundation wall and it makes sense to me. When I asked the concrete contractor about it he said he's never done it (though he did remember one other customer who asked about it a couple years back). I get the impression they won't leave me much time to do it myself between pours.

Asked By Martin Frank | Jun 30 15

CC Spray Foam in Conditioned Crawl, Sill Gaskets, Windows, and Air Sealing

We have our house plans back from the designer and are getting ready to start building. I have a few separate questions:

Asked By Michael Geoghegan | Jun 30 15

Trapped moisture on SIP roof

I knew SIPs were the Achilles heel of my 100% engineered house design, But because of inattention to detail, heavy rains at a critical time of my house build pushed water underneath the PVC membrane (applied on mechanically fastened DensDeck) onto my SIP. It happened the night before the adjacent wall could be spray foamed to properly seal off the membrane. Unfortunately, the spraying was later done to the walls and the underside of the SIPs without knowing there was water present.

Asked By Edward Mallett | Jun 29 15

Attic hot after closed cell spray

Finished attic with 4 foot knee wall , duct located in knee wall to support 2 floor,extremely hot, BASF spray tite 2 inches with spray foam wraped around rafter in knee wall but with Sheetrock on ceiling just 2 in foam In cavity . Suggestions to handle heat issue. Richmond Virginia all attic seal very well thinking heat coming from rafters under Sheetrock. Thermal convection coming from rafters. Worked done in the winter, crawl space also done, house built 1994 colonial 2 story with garage with room above with dormer. Also in crawl space does it really need supply vent and return vent

Asked By Mark hippchen | Jun 27 15

Foam over a concrete floor

I plan 4 - 6 inches of EPS under the slab and now am considering an inch of either EPS or XPS on top with 5/8 or 3/4 tongue and groove plywood or OSB to provide a nicer floor to walk on as well as a warmer floor in the walk out basement. I think this will make it easier to attach partition walls and tile in the bathroom and hardwoods in the sunroom.
Question. .. Is this a good idea, and do I glue the foam (EPs or xps) to the concrete and the sheeting to the foam or leave it free floating?
Any gotchas in this?

Asked By tim brown | Jun 29 15

Is my 5000 BTU LG 10 year old window unit significantly inefficient ?

My wife says so, in comparison with similar modern window units. She wants it replaced. The unit runs on all work days, during summer work hours, in my home office in San Antonio, Texas. San Antonio summers are hot, but not as hot as north Texas, as an example comparison. My question is whether efficiency advances in 10 years have made a big difference for small window units.

I tried to search, but every search returned hundreds of irrelevant topics.

Asked By Weldon Cabaniss | Jun 28 15

Spaceloft my only option?

Needing to get all the R value I can get in a limited space. From the cob webs you can see that this is an old house. Recently installed Cedar shakes with felt underneath over the 2x4 studs or mini rafters...
I think they call this a skip sheathing install of the cedar roof?
So, 3.5" is all we have but we'd like to get to an R50 or thereabouts in our upgrade of this 1925 built home in Climate zone 4C.
Spaceloft seems the only option. With an R10 per inch. It comes in 10 cm thickness, 0.4".

Asked By Jan Verschuren | May 29 15

Re-roofing a tar and gravel home

I have a small (approx. 900sq ft.) home with a flat tar and gravel roof. I know the roof is at least 10 yrs. old and I have not experienced any issues within the house from leaks or whatnot. I have however noticed that the overhangs of the roof that stretch the perimeter of the house at 2 feet, have become soft and fairly weak when stepping on them. They also show some signs of mold on the underneath side of the sheathing. I have not noticed these problems with the portion of the roof that covers the house.

Asked By Jared George | Jun 30 15

Tape exterior XPS insulation and housewrap?

Long time follower first time poster.. I have learned so much from this site and appreciate all the knowledge you people share.

We are building a tight house in zone 6 Ontario. The wall stack from inside is as follows:

Drywall
2x3 uninsulated service wall
Membrain
2x8 stud wall filled with dense pack cellulose
Cross bracing for lateral strength
2" XPS on exterior
Tyvek WRB
Furring Strips (airgap)
Hardiboard Siding

Asked By kyle lamont | Jun 19 15