PEX manifold systems

Is there any reason to use a manifold system on the cold supply side besides the convenience of maintenance on fixtures?

Asked By Ross Williams | Aug 24 16

Help me bust this comical Manual J calculation

Calling all energy nerds. Double check my math. I have a manual J calc in my hands with some weird results. I could go over every little error (some obviously intentional), but you have seen these kinds of things before. What I want to talk specifically is heat loss through the wall. His report does not show the design temps, so I am trying to work backwards through the calculations to figure it out. That's where I need your help to double check my thinking.

The inputs:

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Aug 23 16

Venting bathroom through a flat roof

I am interested in learning if there is guidance or code that would cover venting a bath fan straight up through a flat roof. Our state's Weatherization Field Guide indicates that vent terminations shall not be allowed on flat roofs. My interpretation is that you are not allowed to place a fan vent termination on a flat roof. It also indicates that on sloped roof the termination should be elevated 18". There seems to be a lack of what is an acceptable venting configuration for a bath fan when you are forced to go through a flat roof.

Asked By Matthew Stewart | Aug 23 16

How to insulate a workshop?

Planning on having a 60’ (L) x 30’ (W) x 12’ (H) post and frame (pole building), built in climate zone 5B. The building will be bisected by a 2x6 interior wall so that 36’ x 30’ will be used as an un-insulated garage and the remaining 24’ x 30’ will serve as an insulated and conditioned workshop. The floor will be 4” concrete slab on grade poured after the building is erected. Exterior walls are metal panels mounted to wall girts and the roof is also metal on engineered trusses.

Asked By Ken Hodge | Aug 23 16

Spray foam the ceiling joists vs. the back of the roof sheathing?

Is there ever a time when an attic space is so large that it is better to spray the ceiling joists rather the backing of the roof sheathing?

(No cathedral or vaulted ceilings…)

The home is ~6000 sq ft under roof (including garages) the builder is thinking that it is better to spray the ceiling joist since the attic space is so large.

(There are areas were the ridge row is ~15+ ft above the ceiling joists.)

His logic is why  do I want to cool the attic and that my electric bill will be higher since I’m heating/cooling a larger area.

Asked By Cynthia Richards | Aug 23 16

Ceiling fan efficiency with 25-foot ceiling

We are in the process of building a house with 12' sidewalls and a vaulted ceiling. The ceiling height from the floor will be about 24'. The area below this fan will be 728 sq. ft.

A local salesperson stated that a ceiling fan (in a vaulted application) will not adequately move air even with a 72" down rod. We were going to purchase a 68" diameter fan.

I do not feel the person in the retail position may be giving the correct information. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Asked By Jeff Larson | Aug 23 16

Why is my brand new HRV filled with water?

We did a DER in MA recently (complete September 2015). Part of the mechanical system design includes a Zehnder 350 that is designed to run 24/7 on medium flow to have sufficient air exchange. We have really high heat right now and high humidity. I noticed just now that it was making a strange noise. I opened up the cabinet (following the instruction provided) and found the right side (leads to the house air handlers) was full of water. There is a condensate outlet drain on the left but there is no way for water to get from the right to the left.

Asked By Erica Downs | Aug 12 16

Critique my Mini Split placement options

Hi all,

I am down to crunch time and getting close to pulling the trigger on HVAC strategy. Before I "bite the bullet", I want one last pep talk. I think I have the upstairs figured out, but I'm concerned exactly as to where to place my heads.

I have posted two mini split layouts below. Let me know what you think. I have included the room to room BTU loads as well.

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Aug 19 16

XPS insulation around HVAC duct

I have a cabinet in my kitchen and one in each bathroom that has toe kick registers. The HVAC air/heat vent comes out at the floor under the cabinet, but not directly to the vent. I do not want to remove the cabinet and have limited acess to it. I am noticing condensation in the sub floor in these areas, I assume because of condensation due to the entire floor under the cabinet being cooled. My idea is to cut strips of xps 1 inch or so insulation to lay on the floor to insulate the floor.

Asked By don gilbert | Aug 23 16

What would you do?

Forgive me for the vague title and the long post but I am lost in possibilities... all expensive!

Oh and its complicated because I am forced into a decision NOW that will heat my 850 sq ft house AND be adequate to heat in a year (or two) when I add 1000 sq ft. The math gets fuzzier when I tell you the plan is to add 4 inches of EPS to ALL the exterior walls (including existing) and 6 inches under the NEW basement concrete).

No one here (Canukistan) is able or willing to do a manual J to size a unit for a two fold job...

I live in Kenora Ontario Canada (zone 7);

Asked By tim brown | Aug 17 16