ICF & window areas WITHOUT wood bucks

I observed an ICF build that did NOT use wood window bucks for the window areas. They used some temporary wood shoring but once the shoring was removed the window area was all raw concrete and ICF/EPS foam. The windows will be installed directly into the concrete using concrete screws and window brackets. The windows will be installed halfway in the window area or otherwise known as an "innie" window.

Asked By Peter L | Nov 22 14

Heat Pump Water Heater in conditioned space

I am building a net-zero energy home to Passive House standards in the Seattle area. The best scenario for a heat pump water heater is in an attached garage, unheated basement or in the conditioned space of a house in a humid heating climate (why doesn't everyone in Florida own one?). Unfortunately, my only option is within my conditioned space in a heating climate. My heating system will be a ductless minisplit air source heat pump. I would prefer to not remove the heat from my utility room only to make my heating system work harder.

Asked By Gerald Blycker | Nov 24 14

Rigid polyiso in side attics?

As a spray foam alternative, I'm considering using continuous rigid foam along the 32ft long x 7ft slope in my side attic and just spray foaming in the lower joist bays and places where taping is difficult. The attics are about as simple as can be with no dormers or other obstructions. I will need 8" of polyiso to meet my disired R-value (R-48), while keeping the 2x4 rafter bays wide open for ventilation. There are also HVAC ducts and plumbing in the attic, which is why I'd like to convert it conditioned space.

Asked By Ryan Griffin | Nov 22 14

Polyiso on interior

Martin/Dana

Living in the Bellingham area north of Seattle it can get cold. The house was heated by propane, it was a cost that was hard to get hold of especially with some of the design of the house. (high ceiling)

I set out to improve the insulation of the home taking bits and pieces off the internet as to the techniques available these days.

I am a bit "OCD" now that the living room is for the most part done "I have some hidden inward worries". I wonder if I am trapping moisture inside my walls having used the foilfaced polyiso just behind the sheetrock.

Asked By William Lucrisia | Nov 21 14

Super insulating and soundproofing

I'm curious as to whether anyone has integrated soundproofing techniques into superinsulated walls. As mentioned in other posts, I'm considering adding thickness to my existing walls in the form of rigid foam, without removing current drywall. I hear foam is not the best for sound, although at least the 3/4" airspace and second layer of drywall will help. I'm curious if anyone else has explored trying to get the best of both worlds, R-value and sound reduction, while keeping thickness to a minimum.

Asked By Ryan Griffin | Nov 22 14

Detail for stone veneer

I am looking for a wall framing detail that includes a stone veneer face over 1" ridged insulation. It seems to me that after a rain screen detail over the rigid, the next surface would be OSB or plywood that metal lath would be adhered for applying the stone veneer? So the assembly would be 2x6 stud wall, OSB, WRB, 1" ridged insulation, rain screen (lath, Coravent, etc), 1/2" plywood, metal lath, stone veneer.

Asked By Robert Holland | Nov 16 14

Mid Roof Edge Vents / Ice Dams

I'm located in Michigan and in the process of putting on a new roof and want to address some issues relative to poor ventilation and ice dams. Overall, the attic is well insulated, but because of the roof design the hip roof in the center has almost no air intake. My plan was to address this using mid roof edge vents.

Asked By Robert Eaton | Nov 23 14

Blower door testing by floor or room?

Asked By Ryan Griffin | Nov 21 14

Help with Green Addition and hyrdonic heat demo

I am in the process of designing a pretty substantial addition onto my home in central Missouri. I understand that our relatively low electricity costs will not be around in the next 5-10 years in the US and am planning for this.

Asked By Michael McArdle | Nov 23 14

Any Good thoughts on Drolet wood stoves?

A relative is asking about efficient wood burning stoves. Any thoughts. I would never burn wood outside an occasional campfire using up leftover 2x4 cut offs. I told him any Canadian company can't be all that bad and it the 2000 is EPA rated whatever that means...

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

PK

Asked By Paul Kuenn | Nov 23 14