Recommendations for exterior trim in the Northeast?

I am replacing windows and want to install a trim that is long lasting and environmentally sustainable.

Asked by matt dooley
Posted Jun 1, 2014 10:40 AM ET
Edited Jun 2, 2014 5:33 AM ET

There is no single answer to your question. Some green builders insist on using real wood, while other green builders feel that synthetic products reduce the waste that comes from frequently replacing rotten trim.

You may want to consult these GBA pages:

An earlier Q&A thread on the same topic

The GBA Product Guide: Exterior Finish & Trim

Posted Jun 2, 2014 5:37 AM ET

Wood just can't handle the sun and water, it won't hold paint either. The technology, quality and aesthetics of vinyl trims are remarkable these days: plus PVC hold paint forever and has no problems with moisture, bulk water or sunshine. Its not structural so it needs a base.

Scroll down the left side of MidAmerica's/Tapco's subsidiary companies for several trim varieties and also look into Royal, Azek and Certainteed.

Answered by flitch plate
Posted Jun 2, 2014 4:58 PM ET

Sorry PVC, yuck

I have used it in exceptional locations[huge water load] but preprimed pine will last for a very long time with normal painting. I had zero peeling in nearly 15 years on an addition I had built and in some locations had only painted it once at about 2 years in

Western Red Cedar can last practically forever with virtually no anything, but don't paint it, the people who bought my last house painted it, and we shall see how that does.

Answered by Keith Gustafson
Posted Jun 3, 2014 8:16 AM ET

Roof construction for low-slope roof

In General questions | Asked by Kevin Hoene | Sep 21, 15

How to release stored heat in floor's thermal mass

In Mechanicals | Asked by Randy Bunney | Oct 2, 15

Outdoor reset vs setback on single-stage boiler

In Mechanicals | Asked by Eric Stormfield | Oct 3, 15

Any one have experience with Chilltrix equipment?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Carl Seville, GBA Advisor | Oct 4, 15

Can I put Roxul over sheetrock? On the interior

In Green building techniques | Asked by Andrew Bennett | Oct 3, 15