Which point-of-use tankless water heater should I get?

I live in Cambridge Massachusetts. I need a point-of-use tankless water heater for 1 bathroom sink. I will use the hot water for about 5 minutes at a time. What is the correct size? Can you recommend a brand?

Asked by Eve Schlapik
Edited Mon, 06/09/2014 - 13:54

1.

Eve,
Stiebel Eltron water heaters have a good reputation.

The size you choose will depend on whether your lavatory has an old-fashioned faucet or a new low-flow faucet. Homes in cold climates require more powerful heaters than homes in hot climates. If you give Stiebel Eltron a call, they can help you choose the right model.

2.

Wash with cold water. Three weeks and you will be hooked.

3.

You could also look at the Rheem electric models http://www.rheem.com/products/water_heating/tankless/

4.

AJ. You do know it is a code requirement that bathrooms be supplied with hot water?

5.

If it's just for one bathroom and just the sink and I assume 5-7 minutes will be the max output needed. then look at http://www.statewaterheaters.com/prod/residential/res_elec_sel-pou.aspx. This can be used in a mobile home or for a detached garage/workshop, so it would probably work great in your situation. David above gave you a link to Rheem's tankless, page, but a tankless is far more money and output than you need. If your looking for something small, affordable, and will get the job done then this is the water heater for you.

StateSelect.jpg
Answered by Jesse Jacobson
Edited Thu, 08/07/2014 - 15:14.

6.

In Massachusetts, I recommend a 8 to 10 kW unit to achieve a decent temperature at 2 gpm faucet. Whatever you brand you decide to get, make sure you have the needed breakers and the electric panel to suuply enough amps to the unit.
Rheem and Stiebel eltron have been mentioned and I agree with those recommendations but Rheem is a bit on the low-end side while Stiebel Eltron can be pricey. I suggest you also consider EcoSmart. It is a competitive brand. Prices are somewhat more than Rheem but definitely more reliable.
To give an idea, EcoSmart's ECO 8 is an 8 kW point-of-use and it can fix your hot water issue. It needs a 40 Amps double-pole breaker.

Answered by Wayne Dauer
Edited Thu, 10/16/2014 - 18:17.

I am considering a double wall construction

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Rick Fetter | Oct 30, 14

New siding/windows and rigid insulation - need some advice

In General questions | Asked by Chris Stoodley | Oct 29, 14

A very low addition...

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by ron letourneau | Oct 29, 14

Closed crawlspace with dehumidifier and foundation insulation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Michael Geoghegan | Oct 27, 14

How to seal 4" EPS foam at slab edge (radon concerns)?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by e c | Oct 29, 14