Which point-of-use tankless water heater should I get?

I live in Cambridge Massachusetts. I need a point-of-use tankless water heater for 1 bathroom sink. I will use the hot water for about 5 minutes at a time. What is the correct size? Can you recommend a brand?

Asked by Eve Schlapik
Posted Jun 9, 2014 12:47 PM ET
Edited Jun 9, 2014 1:54 PM ET

1.

Eve,
Stiebel Eltron water heaters have a good reputation.

The size you choose will depend on whether your lavatory has an old-fashioned faucet or a new low-flow faucet. Homes in cold climates require more powerful heaters than homes in hot climates. If you give Stiebel Eltron a call, they can help you choose the right model.

Posted Jun 9, 2014 1:51 PM ET

2.

Wash with cold water. Three weeks and you will be hooked.

Posted Jun 9, 2014 5:17 PM ET

3.

You could also look at the Rheem electric models http://www.rheem.com/products/water_heating/tankless/

Posted Jun 10, 2014 9:39 AM ET

4.

AJ. You do know it is a code requirement that bathrooms be supplied with hot water?

Posted Jun 11, 2014 11:45 AM ET

5.

If it's just for one bathroom and just the sink and I assume 5-7 minutes will be the max output needed. then look at http://www.statewaterheaters.com/prod/residential/res_elec_sel-pou.aspx. This can be used in a mobile home or for a detached garage/workshop, so it would probably work great in your situation. David above gave you a link to Rheem's tankless, page, but a tankless is far more money and output than you need. If your looking for something small, affordable, and will get the job done then this is the water heater for you.

StateSelect.jpg
Answered by Jesse Jacobson
Posted Aug 7, 2014 2:22 PM ET
Edited Aug 7, 2014 3:14 PM ET.

6.

In Massachusetts, I recommend a 8 to 10 kW unit to achieve a decent temperature at 2 gpm faucet. Whatever you brand you decide to get, make sure you have the needed breakers and the electric panel to suuply enough amps to the unit.
Rheem and Stiebel eltron have been mentioned and I agree with those recommendations but Rheem is a bit on the low-end side while Stiebel Eltron can be pricey. I suggest you also consider EcoSmart. It is a competitive brand. Prices are somewhat more than Rheem but definitely more reliable.
To give an idea, EcoSmart's ECO 8 is an 8 kW point-of-use and it can fix your hot water issue. It needs a 40 Amps double-pole breaker.

Answered by Wayne Dauer
Posted Oct 16, 2014 6:15 PM ET
Edited Oct 16, 2014 6:17 PM ET.

Replace AC with a heat pump?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jerry Knight | Apr 1, 15

Unvented slanted roof with radiant cooling and NO polyurethane in 4C

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Jan Verschuren | Mar 11, 15

Exterior foil-faced polyiso question

In Green building techniques | Asked by Randy Mason | Mar 16, 15

With taped exterior sheathing, is there any benefit to caulking each stud bay?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Rick Van Handel | Mar 31, 15

Best way to find the experts in my area

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Mary Dorcey-Mussog | Apr 1, 15