Home Depot Offers High SHGC Glass

I just ordered some windows for the south side of a pretty good house in Colorado.
U=.26, SHGC=0.69

Under $300 for a big fixed vinyl window from Jeld-Wen.

When you sit down with somebody in the millworks dept., just make sure you get the Cardinal LoE-180 glass. Careful, they might try to talk you out of it, because they don't understand passive solar energy.

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/products/coated-glass/loe-180-glass/

Asked by Kevin Dickson, MSME

1.

Just a heads-up, I would make sure you read the warranty fine print because I've seen those JW big box windows installed and they ended up leaking through the frames. The glazing was attached to the frames by using double sided tape and silicone. That is a major design flaw. The glazing will contract and expands at higher rates than the vinyl frames, resulting in a failed window seal after a short period. Water will then leak into your home and you might end up replacing that window.

Unless they changed the design, I would be very leery of that type of design. In the end, you get what you pay for and a large window for under $300 would make me very suspicious of the quality.

Answered by Peter L

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Anthony Hughes | Aug 8, 14
In General questions | Asked by Lucyna de Barbaro | Aug 22, 14
In Green building techniques | Asked by Stephen Youngquist | Aug 21, 14
In General questions | Asked by Dan McGonigle | Aug 22, 14
In General questions | Asked by Steve Young | Aug 16, 14