Home Depot Offers High SHGC Glass

I just ordered some windows for the south side of a pretty good house in Colorado.
U=.26, SHGC=0.69

Under $300 for a big fixed vinyl window from Jeld-Wen.

When you sit down with somebody in the millworks dept., just make sure you get the Cardinal LoE-180 glass. Careful, they might try to talk you out of it, because they don't understand passive solar energy.

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/products/coated-glass/loe-180-glass/

Asked by Kevin Dickson, MSME

1.

Just a heads-up, I would make sure you read the warranty fine print because I've seen those JW big box windows installed and they ended up leaking through the frames. The glazing was attached to the frames by using double sided tape and silicone. That is a major design flaw. The glazing will contract and expands at higher rates than the vinyl frames, resulting in a failed window seal after a short period. Water will then leak into your home and you might end up replacing that window.

Unless they changed the design, I would be very leery of that type of design. In the end, you get what you pay for and a large window for under $300 would make me very suspicious of the quality.

Answered by Peter L

Rigid polyiso in side attics?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Ryan Griffin | Nov 22, 14

Polyiso on interior

In GBA Pro help | Asked by William Lucrisia | Nov 21, 14

Super insulating and soundproofing

Detail for stone veneer

In Green building techniques | Asked by Robert Holland | Nov 16, 14

Mid Roof Edge Vents / Ice Dams

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Robert Eaton | Nov 23, 14