Home Depot Offers High SHGC Glass

I just ordered some windows for the south side of a pretty good house in Colorado.
U=.26, SHGC=0.69

Under $300 for a big fixed vinyl window from Jeld-Wen.

When you sit down with somebody in the millworks dept., just make sure you get the Cardinal LoE-180 glass. Careful, they might try to talk you out of it, because they don't understand passive solar energy.

Asked by Kevin Dickson, MSME
Posted Jun 17, 2014 12:48 PM ET

Just a heads-up, I would make sure you read the warranty fine print because I've seen those JW big box windows installed and they ended up leaking through the frames. The glazing was attached to the frames by using double sided tape and silicone. That is a major design flaw. The glazing will contract and expands at higher rates than the vinyl frames, resulting in a failed window seal after a short period. Water will then leak into your home and you might end up replacing that window.

Unless they changed the design, I would be very leery of that type of design. In the end, you get what you pay for and a large window for under $300 would make me very suspicious of the quality.

Answered by Peter L
Posted Jun 17, 2014 3:19 PM ET

NOTE: Jeld-Wen could not supply the Cardinal LoE 180 glass after all.

Answered by Kevin Dickson, MSME
Posted Jan 26, 2015 12:40 PM ET

Outdoor reset vs setback on single-stage boiler

In Mechanicals | Asked by Eric Stormfield | Oct 3, 15

Any one have experience with Chilltrix equipment?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Carl Seville, GBA Advisor | Oct 4, 15

Roof construction for low-slope roof

In General questions | Asked by Kevin Hoene | Sep 21, 15

Can I put Roxul over sheetrock? On the interior

In Green building techniques | Asked by Andrew Bennett | Oct 3, 15

Radiant heat and spray foam insulation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Anthony Bartolotti | Oct 3, 15