Home Depot Offers High SHGC Glass

I just ordered some windows for the south side of a pretty good house in Colorado.
U=.26, SHGC=0.69

Under $300 for a big fixed vinyl window from Jeld-Wen.

When you sit down with somebody in the millworks dept., just make sure you get the Cardinal LoE-180 glass. Careful, they might try to talk you out of it, because they don't understand passive solar energy.

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/products/coated-glass/loe-180-glass/

Asked by Kevin Dickson, MSME

1.

Just a heads-up, I would make sure you read the warranty fine print because I've seen those JW big box windows installed and they ended up leaking through the frames. The glazing was attached to the frames by using double sided tape and silicone. That is a major design flaw. The glazing will contract and expands at higher rates than the vinyl frames, resulting in a failed window seal after a short period. Water will then leak into your home and you might end up replacing that window.

Unless they changed the design, I would be very leery of that type of design. In the end, you get what you pay for and a large window for under $300 would make me very suspicious of the quality.

Answered by Peter L

Wet OSB - how much water can it take?

In General questions | Asked by colleen1 runyen | Dec 17, 14

Sensors in the house envelope

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Karl Overn | Dec 21, 14

Airsealing an attic

In General questions | Asked by Dan McGonigle | Dec 21, 14

Is this furnace venting/leaking problem as bad as it looks?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Nathaniel G | Dec 20, 14

Is a gas fireplace blower fan an energy-efficient investment?

In General questions | Asked by W. Timothy Ward | Dec 20, 14