GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Home Depot Offers High SHGC Glass

kevin_in_denver | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I just ordered some windows for the south side of a pretty good house in Colorado.
U=.26, SHGC=0.69

Under $300 for a big fixed vinyl window from Jeld-Wen.

When you sit down with somebody in the millworks dept., just make sure you get the Cardinal LoE-180 glass. Careful, they might try to talk you out of it, because they don’t understand passive solar energy.

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/products/coated-glass/loe-180-glass/

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. jackofalltrades777 | | #1

Just a heads-up, I would make sure you read the warranty fine print because I've seen those JW big box windows installed and they ended up leaking through the frames. The glazing was attached to the frames by using double sided tape and silicone. That is a major design flaw. The glazing will contract and expands at higher rates than the vinyl frames, resulting in a failed window seal after a short period. Water will then leak into your home and you might end up replacing that window.

Unless they changed the design, I would be very leery of that type of design. In the end, you get what you pay for and a large window for under $300 would make me very suspicious of the quality.

2. kevin_in_denver | | #2

NOTE: Jeld-Wen could not supply the Cardinal LoE 180 glass after all.

Bummer

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |