GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Acoustical caulk/sealant confusion

Aaron Birkland | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I keep hearing the term “acoustical sealant” in the context of air sealing, as in “use acoustical sealant for air sealing because it remains flexible”, but am a little bit confused as to what it means. Does it refer to:

1. Tremco accoustical sealant, the specific product?
  2. Any caulk or other sealant that exhibits the “remains flexible forever” property?
  3. Something else entirely?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. dankolbert | | #1

Tremco is by far the best known manufacturer of acoustical sealant, but it is a type of sealant and yes, other people make it. OSI I believe has a low- or no-VOC product, who knows if it holds up as well long-term to Tremco (aka Black Death).

2. Aaron Birkland | | #2

Thanks, Dan.

So if acoustical sealant represents a type, then is there a way to determine if an arbitrary tube of caulk is an acoustical sealant? Will it have the word "acoustical" on the tube somewhere, or is there some other way to tell?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Aaron,
    The answer to your question is yes -- if the product is acoustical sealant, it will have the word "acoustical" on the tube. Most people just buy the Tremco product, which has been around for decades.

4. ntisdell | | #4

OSI is what my builder used and after 1.5yrs it has held up very well and is still very nasty/gooey in our unfinished basement (walkout basement , framed/insulated/poly wall).

I have found it locally at Menards in the large tube - Tremco i have had trouble finding (couldn't find in stores).

5. ryano719 | | #5

Hi Nick T,

Do you know which OSI product was used on your house?

Thanks

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |