Helpful? 0

Acoustical caulk/sealant confusion

I keep hearing the term "acoustical sealant" in the context of air sealing, as in "use acoustical sealant for air sealing because it remains flexible", but am a little bit confused as to what it means. Does it refer to:

1. Tremco accoustical sealant, the specific product?
  2. Any caulk or other sealant that exhibits the "remains flexible forever" property?
  3. Something else entirely?
Asked by Aaron Birkland
Posted Fri, 08/29/2014 - 08:24
Edited Fri, 08/29/2014 - 08:59

Tags:

4 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Tremco is by far the best known manufacturer of acoustical sealant, but it is a type of sealant and yes, other people make it. OSI I believe has a low- or no-VOC product, who knows if it holds up as well long-term to Tremco (aka Black Death).

Answered by Dan Kolbert
Posted Fri, 08/29/2014 - 08:35

Helpful? 0

Thanks, Dan.

So if acoustical sealant represents a type, then is there a way to determine if an arbitrary tube of caulk is an acoustical sealant? Will it have the word "acoustical" on the tube somewhere, or is there some other way to tell?

Answered by Aaron Birkland
Posted Fri, 08/29/2014 - 08:48

Helpful? 0

Aaron,
The answer to your question is yes -- if the product is acoustical sealant, it will have the word "acoustical" on the tube. Most people just buy the Tremco product, which has been around for decades.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Fri, 08/29/2014 - 09:03

Helpful? 0

OSI is what my builder used and after 1.5yrs it has held up very well and is still very nasty/gooey in our unfinished basement (walkout basement , framed/insulated/poly wall).

I have found it locally at Menards in the large tube - Tremco i have had trouble finding (couldn't find in stores).

Answered by Nick T - 6A (MN)
Posted Fri, 08/29/2014 - 13:27

Other Questions in Green products and materials

Quarter Round on Rammed Earth

In Green building techniques | Asked by Terry Lee | Dec 18, 14

Rigid insulation

In General questions | Asked by Shawn Ward | Dec 16, 14

Solar thermal systems for heating water

In Mechanicals | Asked by aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Dec 15, 14

What is the best way to insulate our new home?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by richard fasching | Dec 17, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!