GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

LED GU24 base bulbs

5proctors | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I plan to buy new lighting with GU24 2-pin sockets for my kitchen renovation. But I’m noticing many more choices of LED lights with the regular twist on base now. Will the LED GU24 base bulbs continue to have a poor pool of choices while the LED twist on consumer choices will grow? Basically I will always use LED, but I want to have the option of “nice looking” bulbs too.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kelly,
    This is a crystal ball question -- and no one has the answer.

Here is my prediction, however: the GU24 will fade away into obscurity, and the screw-based Edison sockets will persist long into the future.

2. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #2

If it's a renovation, why not go for LED fixtures rather than LED bulbs? The power supplies in a fixture are inherently better cooled, more reliable and higher efficiency than a bulb assembly that has a miniaturized power supplies, with a higher power/volume density leading to higher component temperatures (= component stress). A decent LED fixture will have a lifecycle measured in decades, not years.

Both GU24 and Edison base have a clear presumption that the bulb will fail and need periodic replacement over the lifecycle of the fixture. That is not a valid presumption for all-solid-state luminaires.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Kelly,
    For more information on GU24-based lamps, see Let There Be Light — on the GU24 base for CFLs and LEDs. Be sure to read the comments at the bottom of the page, too.

4. 5proctors | | #4

Thanks Martin, I read that blog but since it and the comments are from 2011, I wasn't sure if it was dated already. My option of having GU24 socket ($10 increase in price of fixture) or regular sockets in 3 of my kitchen sconces and 2 outdoor sconces is my current dilemma. I don't want to add that option, then find out I can find LED and CFL's with screw on bottoms for less money and with many more options (lumen, style, etc.) Yes, a crystal ball question. I think you might be right about the GU24's fading away when I just do a consumer search and see the options. THANKS!

5. kevin_in_denver | | #5

The edison base is just too common, and will always have more and cheaper options

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |