GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

REMOTE-like with felt/asphalt paper?

user-1092095 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Could you do well with a REMOTE wall assembly in which, instead of the Hi-tech membranes, you just use Felt Paper? In Chile I don’t have access to Grace products or Tyvek Drainwrap. The only other options I have are Tyvek Housewrap, Typar, or Tyvek Soft.

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-1092095 | | #1

Even beyond, I would ask what do you think of having "outie windows", or exterior-mounted windows, on a REMOTE wall assembly with felt paper on the exterior of the rigid foam insulation.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Jose,
    The REMOTE system requires a membrane on the interior side of the insulation to act as an air barrier and a WRB. Asphalt felt is a good WRB, but a lousy air barrier. Tyvek is a good WRB and a good air barrier, so it's preferable to asphalt felt in this application.

It's hard to get Tyvek really airtight, however, so you might consider redundant air barriers. For example, if your building includes plywood wall sheathing, you could caulk or tape the plywood seams. If you will be using rigid foam for insulation, you could tape your rigid foam seams.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Jose,
    Q. "What do you think of having outie windows on a REMOTE wall assembly with felt paper on the exterior of the rigid foam insulation?"

A. You could do that. The trick to any wall assembly is to get the water-management details right -- which means good flashing practices, with the flashing well integrated with the WRB -- and to pay attention to airtightness.

Don't forget: it's always a good idea to include a ventilated rainscreen gap between your WRB and your siding.

4. user-1092095 | | #4

Yes! the rainscreen gap is already detailed. So, I think I'll go for Tyvek outside the foam insulation, and will tape both Tyvek and EPS. By putting the WRB in the exterior I feel much confident with outie windows than following the standard REMOTE approach of puting gthe WRB exterior to the structural sheathing and having innie windows... ((I get LOTS of rainfall).
    Thanks!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |