GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Dricore Smartwall basement product

PhylisFinEastLansing | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I’m in the process of refinishing my basement in East Lansing MI (posted previously a question about the insulation on the floor).
I found this relatively new product at the local big box store and it’s a bit different in structure than some of the recommendations I’ve seen from Building Science on finishing a basement (specifically the addition of an internal vapor barrier).
But it meets Canadian building codes and seems to have addressed many of the issues of finishing a basement in record time! with chasing for electrical boxes and studs and drywall incorporated. Balancing labor and material costs, it’s a tempting alternative to the work!
The DriCore company website has some interested videos and materials details.
http://www.dricore.com/en/smart_home.aspx

Having just removing a lot of fiberglass batts that were covered with plastic (and mold) and “ready” to finish, I’m being very careful to check out everything I plan to use with the newest research. Any issues with this product that anyone has seen? I know that the sub-flooring has had some mixed reviews and perhaps the issues there might be pertinent to this design as well? It’s pretty new….
Thanks so much!
Phylis

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Phylis,
    This product appears to be a sandwich panel consisting of 3.5 inches of EPS foam adhered to drywall. I see no reason why the product won't work.

2. charlie_sullivan | | #2

You can achieve the same result with simple EPS foam boards. I think the choice depends mostly on who is installing it and whether they think they can save enough time on the installation process with that system to make it worth whatever it costs. I do like the fact that it is graphite infused EPS--gets a little higher R-value per inch. You can of course just use thicker EPS for the same R-value.

But you are on the right track to get rid of the fiberglass and use foam. Make sure you address the source of the moisture too--it can come through the walls or condense on them from humid air.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |