GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Whisper wind exhaust only ventilation durability with continuous run time?

user-956864 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Don’t believe any of us know how long a Panasonic Whisper wind fan can be expected to run if exhausting 60 CFM out a bath ceiling if hard wired to operate continuously through time? Anybody have a guess?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Rick,
    Nothing lasts forever, but these Panasonic fans are among the best available. Fifteen years wouldn't surprise me, but I'm just guessing.

2. user-956864 | | #2

Thanks Martin. I went to report your guess and my builder resp
    onded w this: the fan that we are proposing. Hampton Bay TY-80-A. - 90 cfm, - 1.0 sone - on 24/7

3. user-626934 | | #3

If you want a fan that will deliver 60cfm continuous with low power input and a proven track record, I don't know why you (or your builder, I guess) would consider a Home Depot house brand model (Hampton Bay) with no Energy Star certification and no certified data from HVI.

Go with the Panasonic FV-08VKS3 - you'll be able to dial in the constant flow rate anywhere from 30cfm to 70cfm (in 10cfm increments).

4. dankolbert | | #4

It's remarkable what good fans we can get now for very little money. Delta Breez also makes very good fans. The DC motors and sophisticated controls mean you should get a long life with good ability to tweak for many years. Frankly, if your builder is proposing a Hampton Bay instead, you may have bigger problems.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |