GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Are Canadian and European triple glazed windows really worth the price premium over Intergity triple-glazed?

Yamayagi1 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

At 1 1/2 to 2 times the cost-or more, are the these windows really justifiable vs the Integrity fiberglass line?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. charlie_sullivan | | #1

If you want triple glazed, perhaps you are in a cold climate. If you are in a cold climate, you might want high SHGC windows. But the Marvin Integrity line doesn't include that option in triple pane.

Consider the "Fiberframe" US made equivalent to Canadian fiberglass windows.

2. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #2

James: don't assume that Canadian or European Windows will cost more. Get a window schedule, with specs for U values, SHGC and ask for quotes from several suppliers. You may be surprised. Without detailed quotes, it can be hard to do a meaningful comparison between companies.

3. Yamayagi1 | | #3

Charlie:
    You are correct. I am in Massachusetts coastal zone 5A, and was specifying the "tripane" windows casements and awnings for North, East and West, and the double pane LowE1 (Cardinal 180) with a higher SHGC for the South widows, supplemented with sliding Kalwall Shoji for insulation, privacy, and light control. Shading roof overhang on the South, of course. But is the Integrity line's performance truly inferior to the others mentioned?

4. charlie_sullivan | | #4

Great plan! I'd forgotten about Kalwall.

I've heard good and bad things about Integrity, but mostly good. I'd be worried about air leakage with double hung but I doubt you'd have a problem with casement. But perhaps others with direct experience can provide better information.

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

James,
    To compare windows, you need to compare whole-window U-factors (measured according to NFRC requirements) and whole-window SHGC ratings. Knowing that a window has triple glazing doesn't tell us much unless we know the U-factor and SHGC.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |