GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

StoGuard WRB

jackofalltrades777 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Can one apply a product like StoGuard with EmeraldCoat WRB on OSB roof sheathing and then at a short time later apply a peel & stick membrane over it?

Will the peel & stick adhere to OSB covered with StoGuard WRB?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Peter,
    I don't know. But since peel-and-stick membranes are waterproof, vapor-impermeable air barriers, I don't know why you think you would need StoGuard with Emerald Coat.

2. kloopster | | #2

I agree with Martin, when applied correctly, peel and stick functions great in a roof application.

I am very interested in Liquid WRBs and the Air infiltration benefits they provide.

I am a bit confused (and always have been) as to how a roof (abutting fully conditioned space) can be very airtight given the gap necessary between the sheathing. I have started to lean more towards under roofs and over roofs as a configuration, with light colored exteriors to reduce the massive solar heating that dark shingled roofs transmit to the sheathing.

I know the answer put forth is always "spray insulation", but what happens when you need to replace sheathing in the future? I like the idea of building a 100 year wall but flipped over to be the roof, and using exterior (taped) foam over a liquid applied WSB and with butted sheathing.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |