GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Locally sourced wood siding in upstate New York

ranson | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Reading through the QAs has convinced me to pursue locally sourced wood siding instead of vinyl siding. What trees from the area around upstate New York are best for durable siding? I’m thinking stained and sealed siding, rather than painted.

–John

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

John,
    Here in Vermont, local siding usually means:

(a) Vertical spruce boards (usually with shiplap joints).

(b) White pine or red spruce clapboards from a local clapboard mill.

(c) White cedar shingles (although these days, these usually come from Quebec or Maine, not Vermont).

In upstate New York, your options may be different. Ask around.

You might want to re-think the idea of staining. For vertical board siding or white cedar shingles, the best option is to leave the siding unfinished. With clapboards (lap siding), either stain or paint might make sense.

2. brp_nh | | #2

Vertical grain spruce clapboards in VT:
    http://www.wardclapboard.com

The low "Cottage" grade are actually pretty nice, you'll just have to cut and work around some imperfections. Or you can upgrade if you don't like blemishes and have the budget. We got them pre stained with a primer coat on all sides, highly recommended. Then stain your color before/during installation.

3. Robert Swinburne | | #3

I am experimenting with local hemlock siding using an open gap rainscreen detail

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |