GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Sill gasket

user-5482467 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I’m in the process of ordering the mud sill gasket, but have been thrown a curve. We’re doing 2×6 framing (zone 5).

I was planning to order the BG65 from Conservation Technology but they’re backordered and won’t have it in time. They’re also almost out of the BG63.

They suggested using either a triple row of BG61 or using their BG32 drywall gasket.

I have also seen a few references here to Denarco’s SureSeal or Protecto Wrap Triple Guard.

The 1/4 x 5 1/2 in. Sureseal option is comparable cost to the BG61 option. The 1/2 in. thick option is about 50% more. The Triple Guard is about double the cost.

I haven’t seen as many references to the Denarco or Protecto Wrap options here as I have to the Conservation Technology products and wasn’t sure why.

Any thoughts on my best option?

Thanks for your help,
Alex

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Alex,
    You may be overthinking this. Ordinary closed-cell foam sill seal is inexpensive and easily available. If you use this product, the joint can be made relatively airtight after your walls and roof are up (to put some weight on the mudsill) with either caulk or a European tape.

2. user-5482467 | | #2

Thank you, Martin. Your tape articles also mention 3M All Weather tape (8067). Do you know how that performs on concrete?

I'll look into the Siga and Pro Clima options, too.

3. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #3

I used the BG63 under the 2x6 sill. You really don't need the wider stuff. I think the foam is junk.
    I also used a lot of the 3M 8067 tape on the house, but I would be concerned about relying on it to seal the sill, given how uneven concrete is. Plus the gasket will be cheaper especially if you are paying for labor.

4. Chaubenee | | #4

In the past I taped that spot and also added a galvanized z flashing that covered the tape and about 3/4" of the top of foundation. It helps to keep the tape srcure plus prevents rodents from ever chewing in there if there was any kind of gap.

5. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #5

A nice thick bead of acoustic sealant at the exterior between either the concrete and the sill, or the concrete and the sheathing.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |