GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Looking for ICF basement to foam-insulated 2×6 main floor transition advice

kenorakq | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

After over a year of planning on using a conventional concrete basement wall with 4″ eps to match the 2×6 wood framed wall above above.. which also will have 4″ foam,,,

I have been convinced to use iCF forms for the basement!

I have come to believe this makes sense from many perspectives. However I am now left with choosing an iCF system… So far I have determined that no one makes a form with 4″ of foam on the exterior!!

Should I add enough eps to the exterior of the iCF form … Using adhesive perhaps… to get the two exterior wall planes lined up or is there another method?

Since I just decided to use iCF its a whole new world for !e so I would
appreciate any advice.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

QuadLock makes a 4.25" + 4.25" ICF- is that going to be close enough? You can cantilever the bottom plates of the 2x6 framing 0.25" (or even 0.5") over the edge of the concrete without any structural issues.

Or were you looking for an assymmetric ICF?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Tim,
    Logix is a brand of ICF that is available in a variety of sizes. You can order Logix ICFs with 4-inch-thick foam (or thicker foam) if you want.

Here is a link to a document that describes Logix XRV panels.

Here is a link to a GBA article that mentions Logix XRV panels: New Green Building Products — January 2009.

Another option is QuadLock Plus panels with 4 1/4" rigid foam: QuadLock Plus panels.

3. kenorakq | | #3

I wasn't aware that either of those made the thicker block...thanks a million..

4. kenorakq | | #4

I signed up for a day long builders seminar with Logix (Jan 21 in Winnipeg) and am looking forward to learning more. I will report back what I learn and how it impacts my build. Thanks!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |