GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Thermoarcilla? Termoarcilla? Thermal Clay?

ethan_TFGStudio | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I’ve been working with a Spanish carpenter who told me that a lot of walls in Spain are being built with Thermal Clay, which I guess is the translation of Termoarcilla. I have had greast difficulty fining much information online in English (sorry my Spanish is not so good).

Here is some information: http://bloquetermoarcilla.es/en/productos-termoarcilla.php

The links on the pagef above provide some information. It seems that these blocks have good insulation, acoustic, and structural characteristics. Of course, thermal bridging looks like an issue, but I am wondering if these could be a part of a wall system with interior service cavity and exterior continuous rigid or rock wool insulation.

Does anyone have experience with Thermal Clay // Termoarcilla?

Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

E.T.,
    In the U.S., this is called terra cotta block. It was a common building material here for many decades, but as far as I know is no longer manufactured in the U.S.

Concrete block is cheaper. Neither concrete block or terra cotta block is desirable from an energy perspective -- there isn't much R-value there. I suppose you could import them from Spain if you wanted, at great expense -- but why would you want to?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |