GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Do they sell Dow Thermax anymore?

whitenack | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I have a big basement I need to insulate from the interior and I’d like to avoid the cost of framing and drywall since the basement will only be used for storage.

Do they still make Dow Thermax? I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Is there a new product that meets the fire ratings as Thermax, that won’t require drywall over it?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #1

Yes. Contact a box store or Dow for a dealer/retailer

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Clay,
    Armando gave you good advice. Thermax is also available from online distributors: Dow Thermax.

3. ruffryder | | #3

I have been down this rabbit whole, trying to find the elusive Dow Thermax. I can find it, only if I buy it in quantities of 174.. lol. I found that Rmax sells a similar product to Dow Thermax, called TSX-8500. Hopefully this information will help save someone some time.

4. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #4

At IRC 2015 code-minimum R cost of framing (or furring) + wallboard when combined with reclaimed roofing foam can be less than any virgin-stock polyiso (Thermax, Rmax or other.)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |