GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Patio-type flooring for a hot climate?

florea_rebollar@yahoomcom | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I really need to know what is the best flooring to use on my kind of big patio just built in this hot climate, Texas…
Please help, my house is old and built all wrong already.

Thank you!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Flor,
    You say that your big patio was "just built."

So what does it look like? Is it a concrete slab on grade? Something else?

Is there a roof over this patio, or is it totally exposed to the weather?

What type of outdoor surfaces do you like? Do you like wood decks? Or do you prefer ceramic tile or stone tile?

2. florea_rebollar@yahoomcom | | #2

My patio is covered it was built into the roof gable/2 valleys
    And new roof shingles on whole house
    There is no flooring right now just dirt packed with broken up concrete from old small slab, my house is slab foundation. I want to put in something that will be the least hot so when we are outside lounging we don't feel the heat worst. I think concrete would make it more hot, I really am open to any flooring wood decking, composite or concrete with tile or just stained if it is the best option, cool wise". Anything...Thank you again, Flor.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Flor,
    If you want to have a wooden deck, you need to make sure that you have enough height between the existing grade and your door to accommodate the needed joists and decking. If there isn't enough room for the joists, you'll probably need a slab.

If you end up with a slab, travertine (a type of natural stone) is said to be relatively cool-feeling for bare feet -- but it isn't cheap.

Perhaps some GBA readers from Texas can suggest good materials that feel cool for this application.

4. Andrew_C | | #4

In Arizona, there is a "Cool Deck" coating that is applied over concrete that is commonly used around pools where people go barefoot. Many people use it on their patios, and from personal experience it makes a big difference; you can easily walk on the Cool Deck, and you have to hot-foot it across any concrete that doesn't have the coating.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |