GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Dow Powerhouse Solar System 2.0 PV shingles

Andy Engel | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

An architect I know asked about these (www.dowpowerhouse.com/Solar%20System/). I found Martin’s review from 2012, and I wonder if anyone has more recent experience?

Thanks,

Andy

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Jon_Lawrence | | #1

I don't have any experience with them, but I crunched a few numbers. A Mitsubishi full size panel is 17.7sf and it generates 265 watts max or 14.98 watts/sf. The Dow PV shingles are 10.15 watts/sf. As for weight, they are 4.8lbs/sf vs 2.36lbs/sf for the Mitsubishi.

2. GBA Editor
    Andy Engel | | #2

Thanks, Jonathan. That's a significant difference in efficiency, but I'm not sure how much that matters in this case. The project would be in a historic district, and traditional PV panels aren't likely to fly.

3. Jon_Lawrence | | #3

Panels might be a tough sell with those folks.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Andy,
    If there is a local historical commission involved, and these PV shingles are the only way to get a PV system approved, then they make sense. Otherwise, I can't think of any reason to choose them, since they probably cost more, and provide less electrical output per square foot, than conventional PV modules.

5. GBA Editor
    Andy Engel | | #5

Thanks, Martin. That's my take as well. I love sacrificing the 21st century on the altar of the 18th...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |